WTB My First Z either 240 or 260

Reaper-Zed

Hey all just wondering if anyone is selling or looking to sell a Datsun Z for decent price, I have been a huge Z fan since i was a boy seeming my old man had a 240Z  which is sadly gone, im 22 looking to buy a project car, nothing of a lemon, want something that needs a re-spray something not to drastic, i enjoy restoring cars and I spray as a hobby getting quite good at it too, I live in Geelong VIC, but am happy to travel anywhere in VIC to get one, I really want a close to original car im more into original then modified but will take what i can get, not looking to pay to much for im a uni student with low funds, also plan to do my final year project possibly on the car maybe something to do with force induction on L26 or 24 engine, seeming im doing a Bachelor of Engineering major in  Mechanical, Thanks guys all advice and help into getting one would be great, i have had my eye out for ones in my area but there is next to nothing here sadly and ebay seems to be a rip off these days.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day Grim, good luck with your hunt and welcome to AusZcar.

How little do you want to spend?

240?

260?

2602+2?

I know in your post that you mentioned that you are in Geelong but perhaps you would like to add that info to your profile so it appears under your Avatar.

When I bought my first Z I was living in Geelong too and I had to travel to the SE Suburbs to find it. They all seem to be in Ringwood.

Mines not for sale yet, maybe in the new year.

• Administrators

i have had my eye out for ones in my area but there is next to nothing here sadly and ebay seems to be a rip off these days.

I think you may need to reconsider your options a little. You want a "cheap" good car. Unfortunately the cheap ones are not very good or need lots of love (not just a spray job). There is a nice clean car for sale at the moment owners wants $10K + but it looks clean and respectable.

I see you have seen the car I was talking about:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,5463.15.html

Think of it this way. If you buy a car (lemon) for $6k you could easily invest another $6k getting it up to a standard close to this car. When it comes to restoration its always cheaper to start with something half decent than take an absolute pig and turn her into a princess. You probably already know this and I'm sure half the forum knows it too, but if you really want a 240z, perhaps you should save a few more pennies and get the right car or a car that's got most originals bits still on it. Original 240z parts can be expensive just ask any of the guys with a thread in the project section of the forum.

FWIW I'm still looking for a drivers side mirror for a 240z (the car for sale above has the original mirror), I haven't found 1 yet.

You will probably also want to expand your search to include all of Australia (although lots of Zeds are in Victoria). I'll give you $20 towards your project if you buy 1 from NSW or QLD :P.

I'll give you $20 towards your project if you buy 1 from NSW or QLD

Hahahaha cheers for the generosity, are you trying to colonize all Zeds to victoria? if so keep it up hahahaha. Anyways down to what I wanted to say.

More than anything it is possible to find good cars cheap I found my torana unmolested besides the fool before me taking the colum shift and cutting it with a hacksaw then putting a b&M megashifter on the floor.......  its color coded and everything still the original interior, i payed $1300 for it which is fair cheap in my mind, now i know Zeds a little bit more rare and expensive but same principles in my mind apply, Though id love a 2 seater its prob only in my market to get a 2+2, though im 22 years old i wanted a zed for my first car, I even started buying parts. I as my old man prefer original to modified. I stupidly got talked out of buying a Z when i was 17 by my mother main factor... my old man had one about 15 years back and dad use to waste a fair bit of cash into it from what mum told me because it use to "break down alot" which if i know my old man ment he use to drive drive it if people get what i mean, anyways back 5 years ago you could get a ok 2+2 260z for about 2k nothing crash hot in any means but little rust straight body etc. now they seem to go for about 7-8k...... bit of a joke for me, 240z were about 7-8 for same thing 260 were about 4

now they all have seemed to double in price in most cases which is annoying for me, though if i sold my torana it be fine i could aford a 2 seater 260z but if i sold that id regret it because i know some fool would got and kill its grandpa persona by doing the common thing of making it a 308 and changing the brown interior to black .....  anyways here is what im hoping to get but dont laugh at me guys

240Z ..... out of my league

260Z 2 seater "6/10 car. Mechanically ok able to drive home from where ever, decently straight body minimal rust work needed."  $4k

260Z 2+2 same as for 2 seater.    $2.5-3k

I know guys ill really struggle to get one for that but end of the day its what i want to spend, I dont want a rust heep, mechanical work to me is ok I know how things work fair decent plus i have my hands on the machinery to make my own parts at uni :), body work is something i love to do so as long as the body is not worth my time eg. have to get whole new boot made up and floors and fix the doors and window seal rust etc.  then its ok. Id want to repray anyways so paint quality is No probs, interior well im not to fussed at this point, also I was looking at getting one for my partner as well.

Some of you have possibly read I wish to do my final year project on the engine of a Z so if someone sold me a extra they had laying around or a project they dont see they will finnish hit me up with a email, because it be going to a great cause. Also i plan very much so to become quite active in things like cruze days or any events you guys may have going on. cheers again.    Lance

G'day Grim, good luck with your hunt and welcome to AusZcar.

How little do you want to spend?

240?

260?

2602+2?

I know in your post that you mentioned that you are in Geelong but perhaps you would like to add that info to your profile so it appears under your Avatar.

When I bought my first Z I was living in Geelong too and I had to travel to the SE Suburbs to find it. They all seem to be in Ringwood.

Mines not for sale yet, maybe in the new year.

I like the look of your car mate nice job, have done so as you asked, How much you looking to sell for ruffly in a years time do you think? and why selling in a years time?

I was up that way about 3-4 months ago hahaha, only problem is,

A. if the car doesnt make it im stranded

B.it would take a good 3-4 days by myself maybe 3 days if i was to bring someone along for the trip which then id need to pay for there flights and what not,

C. Im a fulltime uni student only days off uni is tuesday saturday and sunday, both saturday and sunday i work every week hahaha, so you see my predicament i cant afford to miss more then 1 day of uni.

Otherwise trust me id be on my way i don't mind a drive. Im thinking might have to wait for something a little closer maybe NSW or SA. but it was perfect for what im looking for :( soooooo annoying, anyone know of cheap transport to get it down here????? if so how much and other details cheers

• Moderators

Usually if the seller is reasonable, they may let you store it there after you have purchased it till you can bring it back or save a bit more and let a transport company bring it to a depot near you. The way things are now in the world of zeds, you see one, go and grab it!

I hope the uni is teaching you how to pull the car apart, major rust repair, respray, put it back together and replace all the parts that are shagged...then you might have yourself a $10K car...otherwise you will spend more money than what you will get for $10-12K where someone else has spent the doe.

Thats what I did...someone did a full restoration to mint condition in 1997...went through 2 owners who garaged it and drove 33,00 miles and I payed just under $17K (as it is a 240Z)...and Lurch will contest to this, i have made some money in the last 3 years of owning it...not that money matters when you get so much enjoyment out of it for the price.

My advise it if you have the money to restore it and get the enjoyment out of it then do it...otherwise it will be parked in the garaged while you save up for the parts.

Good luck.

piff 4000km.

my old man, mum and myself from gold coast to Adelaide in 24hr non stop swaping drivers while one sleeping, one driving and third watching the driver, what a trip that was.

ok we had a diesel powered Pajero that was 1yr old didnt have any reliability issues. that trip shouldnt take more than 2.5 days with one good 8hr sleep.

also u got uni holidays what term is this 3 so u should be getting 2 weeks soonish.

tell you what that be awsome road trip. make sure u bring lots tools plenty of water and oil forget about your pampering kit  :P. my favourite item in car is electrical or duct tape. that saved me more than anything else in emergencies.  ;D also dont force/thrash the car. the objective is to get from a to b safely without failures.

transport from qld to vic be around 450 to 600 depending who u get. but there is no fun in that.

also got to agree with boys above. gone are the days of cheap 2 seater and 2+2 seem to follow slowly behind. i could have picked up a good project 2+2 for about 1 to 2k about a 1.5 years ago. now thats moved to 2 to 4k for a bit worse than a good project car. more like a BIGish project.

1 to 2k cars now are big rustbuckets.

hope it climbs even more  :P

BTW dont look in SA.... they crap here  :P ( trying to save the onslaught from vics)

but as far as i know we are wining 3:1. hiihihihihih  3 guys i know picked their Z from Vic. and only 1 i heard go the other way.

260Z 2 seater "6/10 car. Mechanically ok able to drive home from where ever, decently straight body minimal rust work needed."   $4k

260Z 2+2 same as for 2 seater.     $2.5-3k

I think you'll find that at these prices, any Z you find out about that is within your reach will be snapped up before you get a day off uni to go check it out.

i cant afford to miss more then 1 day of uni

Come on, your in third year. Surely you know by now that the statement you made just isn't true.

I remember having a bet with a mate at uni in third year.

He bet that I couldn't pass a semester of uni (Electrical Engineer) without attending.

So I went the whole semester only attending to hand in assignments.

Passed with flying colours.

Just realised, that 2+2 you posted does not come with a Road Worthy Certificate.

So you wont be able to drive it back. (Can't sell a car registered unless it has a RWC).

But when he goes through a red light camera it's your fine as you should have de-registered the car and surrendered the plates. Registration is only valid if the car is sold with a roadworthy. I found out the hard way and had to buy the car back. ::)

unfortunetly my uni has a trisemister setup i dont get any holiday break nor study week, just 12 weeks of lectures then exams the follow 2 weeks fair annoying, so i wouldnt really get a chance till november  :'(. I'm well aware of what restoring a car involves due to already gone through 3 torana's, I agree total with all what everyone has said but end of the day i have my budgets im constantly everyday looking for a car, also its not what you know its who you know :P my degree only helps me along the lines of making things for myself if need be, i want to use the car to design and make force induction i think it be interesting. My house mate is a boiler maker by trade and i do painting for a hobby "use to do work in a pannel shop part time of my uncles in summers, also one of my best friends is a mechanic and im well aware everyone has there mates also, im aware of time and the fact parts cost money but its all part of the joy in my mind, though i dont want to have a bare shell for a project im not looking towards getting a car i need to replace just about everything, i dont want a show car just a good nice clean looking car. anyone know any good shipping companys or car transport ...... i've never had to do things like this before. cheers

hence why transporting it would be about 100 times easyer/ legal, i dont care about roadworthys at this stage seeming the car will be mostlikely offroad for a good 6 months while i tinker with it plus id want to rego it to vic rego and plates.

transports only worth it if the cars worth 1000% of the transport cost imho. ie to get a car transported from nearly everywhere in aus it would need to be outside of your budget...

just wait for one to come up for sale in vic, and buy it asap

...i also agree that you dont really need to go into uni for mech eng :D and driving down from qld in one go with another driver isn't to painful at all, somewhere around 18hours

I like the look of your car mate nice job, have done so as you asked, How much you looking to sell for ruffly in a years time do you think? and why selling in a years time?

I have 3 Zeds;

260 2+2 Daily driver

AtlRedZed-1.jpg

260 2 seater (avatar) to be restored

260 2+2 Parts car

The car I plan to sell is the daily driver, but this will only happen when I restore the 2 seater. I'm currently $900 shy of my restoration budget. When the bank statement hits the magical figure everything will start to happen. When the restoration is finished I will have no need for both of the 2+2s so they will be sold at my leisure.

Good luck with your hunt, get the word out to anyone you know, within 6 degrees of separation is a Zed under a tarp that's waiting for you.

I found my 2 seater by a friend telling me about a car he had seen in a paddock whilst on a fishing trip. He said it was sort of like mine and that I should check it out. I was expecting to find a 280ZX and was blown away when I realised it was a 2 seater. $2000 cash and she was mine.

• Administrators

Before you blow your uni budget flying halfway up Australia to look at it. Ask him to send you more photos. In particular under the car (you want to see those chassis rails). Also under the battery area in particular they rust like anything here due to battery acid and neglect. Sills are another common spot, floor pans. There is rust in the rear hatch which means the rear tail gate area is probably rust and there is a sunroof in it.

Sunroofs are not great because the car has a unibody design meaning that the structural integrity of the car is affected by the sunroof. May or may not bother you.

Also the dashboard pic is not good, its probably cracked up good from QLD sun. That alone costs $800 to fix.

Overall the car looks ok and well priced but honestly get more photos from the guy first.

There are no engine bay pics either.