Watanabe R-Type Offsets

acf321

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EKuXCTq4Hc&feature=related

In this video you'll see what is one on my favourite 240z's.

I wrote to the owner and he tells me the wheels are 15" Watanabe R-Type. What he cannot tell me (as he english goes only so far, and my Japanese stops at 'Honda' and 'Nissan') is the offsets.

I can see that the front is narrower than the rears (from the lips).

Can anyone identify what the actual offsets of these wheels are, as I am looking at potentially buying wats for the hornet, however I want to be sure I order the correct size.

Cheers

Adam

Looks like a similar size to these ones Adam but I think it would have to be a lucky guess to get the actual size unless he took his wheels off to have a look at the back, did he tell you anything other than 15" like width as well?

oioiha6.jpg

Hi Mossy .. no he just said 15" R type ....

thats a really horny car that one you posted and its good to see it in orange too :)

So ,,, what are the offsets then team ????

Mossy .. do you have a contact for the owner of that orange car????

Why overpriced Wats, Adam?

There's other manufactures out there that do very VERY similar rims...

Also, it'll be easier to measure your offset on the car, rather than use a reccommendation from someone else.

It's not something you want to get wrong...

• Administrators

Why overpriced Wats, Adam?

There's other manufactures out there that do very VERY similar rims...

Of course you can get similar wheels, but Watanabe's are the original S30 aftermarket choice and were used on many race cars of the period. So you may pay a premium for them by in my opinion its worth spending the money on them. If that's the look you want obviously :).

Perhaps try asking HS30-H (Alan) he might know. I too want the same size Watanabe wheels for my Z. So if you find out let me know please.

Boths the silver car and the orange above have the Type-R or R-Type rims.

The other popular Watanabe rims sizing for the Zed is the F8 Type in 7.5 with the +8.5 offset sometime used with the 7 +15 on the fronts - here is a pic of zed with what looks like he F8 in 7 and 7.5 front/rear ;).

.....hmm links did not work - so will attach

Here is some more of the F8 this time 15 x 8 +3 on all 4 corners rapped in 195/60/15

matsumoto-S30.jpg

matsumoto-s30-1.jpg

matsumoto-s30-2.jpg

You can see the different to the 8 Skope R-type (could not find a pic on a car without ZG overfenders so here is a pic of my rims which are R-type but also designed for flared guards. The orange car above has the R-Type)

wheels4.jpg

Thanks NZeder ... good photos there.

Ok. I spoke to Alan last night and he suggested the wheels on the silver car (and I concur) are;

Watanabe RS R-Type 15", with the front most likely being 8*15 (zero offset), and the rears being 9*15 (-13 offset). To me, the orange car might have 16's ... as the rear wheel arch is just all rim there, but it does look excellent.

For what its worth, a smaller rims weighs much less, and tends to carry less weight in rubber also (especially on width). I personally think the 15" looks the best rim size, however requires the car to be lowered to just the right height so as to have the rim/tyre nicely fill out the arch.

On this site, www.aerodyne.net, there are some very good pictures of Watanabe styles, and colours, as well as tables of all the available sizing. If you look at it, these 15" R-Types are only available in 2 offsets, so we are getting closer. Alan suggested its smarted to err on the side of conservatism also, so as not to have a problem of the tyres rubbing on the inside of the wheel arch lips or front valance.

Also, the wheels that Aerodyne has listed for the 240Z include the following varieties; 

1) R-Type, 2) F8, and 3) F8F, and 4) A/B Type. Also, the R-type and F8 are available in Aluminium, and magnesium (just in case you're feeling very rich).

Another point, you can order your Wat's with 'machined' lip or with full colour across the whole rim. The colours (shown on Aerodyne) include; matt black, grey, silver, gold, blue, red, yellow, chrome, zinc, brown and one or two others.

Gotta say, the Watanabes look SO damned good on a well sorted 240Z, its pretty hard to go past them.

Now ... where is that A$2500 I left lying about ????

i'd also love a set of wat's - in matt black or a dark grey without a polished lip. their price is what inspired me to get the roh's for half of that :D

while there are now many rims which are very similar looking much cheaper, there is something about actual watanabe's design which make them nicer - however for the price saving and since they'd be my second set of rims (and most likely in a size which doesn't require flares) i think the new lot of superlites look quite nice - and hopefully they eventually release them in 16x10 as well so can be used as a pair for the track

edited: they have 15x7,8,10 but only 16x7 and 8 http://www.performancewheels.com.au/superlite.asp# i wonder if my planned brakes will fit under the 15's...

Hi Mossy .. no he just said 15" R type ....

thats a really horny car that one you posted and its good to see it in orange too :)

So ,,, what are the offsets then team ????

Mossy .. do you have a contact for the owner of that orange car????

No contact, I found that pic on google I think. The R type are definetly sexier and it does look the orange car has 16" rims maybe 0 offset.

I know there are other similar wheels like the Rota and the performance superlite GTR's but there is nothing like a nice set on watanabes ;)

For me the choice is simple ... the car costing me a total bomb ... and to finish it and put cheaper watanabe knockoffs would be a somewhat futile exercise.. Having said that, I will have to wait some time before I can buy them...

I have written to watanabe in the US and I will post the response of my findings when they come through.

FWIW, if anyone is interested in buying these rims as you say you are, perhaps I will enquire about buying 'several sets' and see what form of discount might apply in this instance, particularly from the perspective of shipping. I'm thinking about buying mine in the new year anyway, so plenty of time.

cheers

Jeeeze... I can get 3-piece racing Arrowlites out of NZ for less than that! :o

And I almost did that - but then I purchased the RS Watanabe's R-Type in 16x8.5 -6 and 16x9.5 -19 mainly for the period correct style of the theme of the project (well externally anyway). However I have done my brake package so it will fit under 15" rims (hard finding proof of 16" rims used in period - Porsche's yes, hell you can find 17" on a Porsche in period but 16" on a zed are hard to proof)

So one day the RB might have to come out - in with a L6 again, some 15" 3-piece Arrowlites and classic racing here we come :) will just do dual car sprints/time trails with the RB and 16" rims as this I can get away with.

I have written to watanabe in the US and I will post the response of my findings when they come through.

FWIW, if anyone is interested in buying these rims as you say you are, perhaps I will enquire about buying 'several sets' and see what form of discount might apply in this instance, particularly from the perspective of shipping. I'm thinking about buying mine in the new year anyway, so plenty of time.

cheers

RS Watanabe have an Australian distributor, why deal with the USA when you can deal directly with the Aussie distributor?

Ok...

Just received my answer to "what r-type 8 spoke Watanabe can fit on a standard bodied S30?"

Here is the answer word for word, FWIW, its the same answer as that given by Alan-T (the Oracle!).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your inquiry RS-WATANABE wheel.

I usually recommend for 240Z with stock body with following size of wheel.

R-type - 16x8 all around with tire size 205/55 for front 225/50 for rear.  the price is starting from $650- depend on finish.

The car required for fitting with this size of wheels lowered the car, adjust comber, with strached tires.

if you want 15inc just same offset 15x8 0 offset. just use tire205/60 or 55

I guess the car which you sent me (the orange car on this thread with silver Wats), has 16x8 0 offset for front and rear looking like 16x8.5 -6 offset. seams like the back wheel has little longer lip than front one. But we can not know what the car done, so if they work something for rear end then makes different offset we have no idea if with this size with your car.

for safe size 16x8 0 offset all round, if you can work little bit for body you can do 16x8 0 offset and 16x8.5 -6 offset for rear, if you take 15x8 and 15x8.5 you might use with stracked tires then fit with easier than 16 inch wheels.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

In summary, there are several options, however if you go large, you might need to alter your body work, especially at the front valance and qtr panels to ensure the tyres do not scrub. Alan suggested he has seen many cars in Japan with rolled or altered fronts in some fashion to ensure these larger wheels fit.

For what its worth, I think the best bet is 15*8 at front and 15*8.5 at rear, OR *7.5 and *8 F/R respectively. At the end of the day, you can get some very sticky tyres for the narrower ones that ensure no rubbing..

Anyway, nuff from me on this one !

Cheers