Sign in to follow this  
nemski

Engine issues (still)

It's been a while since I've posted here about my engine problems, as I haven't had much time to troubleshoot.

When I attempt to turn the engine over, it turns and fires but doesn't start. Then it seems to blow off from the Carbies, with a puff of smoke and the engine stops. Sounds like a gush of air coming out.

Any suggestions on where I should start?

step 1

grab some beers

step 2

somehow check timming or dizzy...dizzy mightnt be advanced enough...whats the dizzy set to ? the long dash in the middle of dizzy the plate is zero degrees... it should be pointing 1 & 3/4 notches clockwise..

always try to start with timing, dizzy, plugs, fuel filter etc then you move onto carbs.

I went through a problem like this recently, if you want to have a read about the whole process which I went through to solving the problem check out my thread:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,3493.0.html

After trying everything we could think of to do with carbys and timing (all of which seemed to help but ultimately did not fix the problem), it ended up being the tappets which were tight as hell and were preventing the valves from opening and closing fully, which was causing the carbs to spit. Once the tappets were adjusted correctly the car ran 100% better.

Thanks for the assistance guys.

I've checked timing, dizzy, plugs, leads, fuel filter and am almost ready to change the dizzy out.

Haven't done much to the carbies, which were never setup correctly since they were installed and I'm not too familiar with them (been working on fuel injected cars too much). So I'll have a play around and do some reading to see what adjustments I can make.

May seem obvious - but check your compression as you may have a blown head gasket.

I've been through this - pulled everything apart everything fuel and ignition as everybody says if you have fuel and spark it should go. Without compression (blown head gasket) it won't

Actually a compression test is a really good idea, when I found out that I had poor compression on my centre 2 cylinders (they were around 100 PSI) I was told that it was either a blown head gasket or the tappets, luckily for me it was just the tappets.