SOLD - Selling my 240Z with L26

apsilon

I know I'll regret this but I'm thinking of selling my 240Z ('73 compliance, '72 build). I'm coming up to 3 years ownership and I've only driven her about 5 times. I just don't have the time let alone time to do the ground up build I wanted to do so she just sits neglected at home.

In good condition I believe (I haven't seen many to judge by) with no known rust (let's be honest there probably is some somewhere in a car this age). Has an L26 with twin carbs, aftermarket steering wheel and gear knob and MX-5 seats. Has an aftermarket headunit but I don't even know if it works. Rego'd to Mar 2010 (need to confirm that but it's definitely next year). When I got her registered in 2008 (I bought unregistered) I put in new springs as the ones in it had been cut and wouldn't pass inspection and new but cheap rubber and probably some other things I've forgotten about. She's been driving twice since then. Dash has the usual cracks as does centre console. This is all off the top of my head so if anyone has any questions, please ask as I'm sure I'll forget things.

Might need a new battery given how long she has sat for but battery has been disconnected so might be OK with a charge. Other than she always started and ran fine (once I fixed a fuel line issue). Doesn't even leak oil. Would be a great daily or excellent starting point for a project IMO.

These pics were taken when I picked her up but I can supply new pics upon request. Car is in Sydney in case you haven't noted my location.

Price? I really don't know what's fair. $8k? Would put her up on Car Sales at $10k as I know I had a hell of a time finding her spending 3 months of daily searching. Everything I looked at was a massive project compared to this one which was ready to go. Not ready to actually advertise her yet but wouldn't be too bad seeing her go to an existing owner. What do you think?

Pics removed. Updated pic on next page.

geez I remember your postings from years ago when you bought it !

$8000 is very very reasonable..

Yeah and I've basically done nothing in all that time. The kid in me really wants to keep it and have a track day and weekend car but the part of me in touch with reality knows that it's not going to happen. I just don't have the time to do the work or drive her and the $20k+ that would go into the build could be better used elsewhere. It's just depressing me. Only upside is it hasn't lost any value while sitting there the past few years.

oldZman, I got your PM and will give you a call tomorrow (Thurs) afternoon. MickyG I'll reply to you in just a min.

• Administrators

So much interest and only just posted it. I think you need to reconsider its value :). Looks quite clean and tidy to me, no sunroof is a big plus!

Thanks all. I've been thinking about it a lot since last night and still can't decide if I should sell or not. I'm really torn on this even though selling is the only option that makes sense. There's certainly been a lot of interest so I guess they haven't become any easier to find since I bought her. I will PM or call those that have contacted me but may not be today as the day as got away from me and I still have a doctors appointment to make. I'll also grab fresh photos tomorrow and check/charge the battery.

Just in case anyone has wondering if I received your message because I have replied yet, I still need to contact oldZman, MickyG, Tappets, ZedBrothers Inc and 24OZ. Others I've already contacted. 

What the heck is stopping you from flying down & inpecting it?

Good point there fella's, I'm just being a pansy. Nothing's stopping me from takin' a day or two off from Uni/work to go.

Will wait till it officially goes for sale and show some interest.

got to agree with goerge. nothing better than a road trip buying a car and than returning back with it. awsome fun.

cant wait for one of those again.  ;D

but word of warning make sure u have few other cars that are for sale in the same city.in case u dont like the particular one u looking at.

happend to us last time.. thank god for technology these days otherwise it would have been trip wasted.

but from the pics this is one cheap 240z.  i dont think he have to much issues selling it if advertised properly. 

OK all, sorry for the delay. Time has been at a premium lately as dad is recovering from heart surgery and mum doesn't drive so I'm spending a lot of time helping them out.

Anyway, the good news for someone is that I have decided to sell. I hate doing it. I just took some photos and looking at that beautiful shape I almost changed my mind. 37 years old. Why can't they still design something that looks so good?

Now the bad news (not so much for me). I've looked around and done some research and as a few of you indicated $8k is to cheap so I'm going to set the price at $11k. I think that's still a good price. If it doesn't sell here I'll put it on some other forums and carsales for more. As a special offer for members of this forum only: If you're reading this thinking "Damn I don't have the cash right now and it'll be gone by the time I do." then this is what I'll do. Put down a $1k non refundable deposit and I'll hold the car for you until the end of Oct. She'll be parked exactly where she always is, won't be driven and I'll continue the insurance.

To clear up some things. Rego is until Mar14 2010 and is standard, not historic. Manual trans. Orange, not red though it is a reddish orange. I think the colour is original but I doubt the paint is original. Rust, I'm being honest when I say nothing that I know of except what I just noted while washing her:

- There's some bubbling in the bottom panel under the bumber near the exhaust.

- There's a spot of rust on the front bumper right in the centre

As I said in my original post, let's be honest, there's probably more. This is a 37 year old car afterall. Having said that though in the 3 months I spent looking I didn't come across anything that appeared as rust free as this one so I do believe it's a very good example of an unrestored 240Z.

There are some shallow dings and ripples around her. This really would suit someone looking for a great base to form a project which was my intention.

I think she needs a tune and probably some fresh fuel given how long she's been sitting. She had all fresh fluids (and I mean all, engine, trans, diff, brake, coolant), all filters, spark plugs, sway rubbers, heater hose, springs a few seals and battery back in Mar 08. I connected the battery and with a bit of cranking to get some fuel through the line she started up and idled fine.

Inspection is welcome however as I'm 37 she's not insured for under 25s so if you're under 25 I'd prefer if you brought an older friend or were content to be a passenger for a test drive. If you're happy to bring the $1500 excess in cash for me to hold during the test drive just in case that would be OK also. Not trying to hide anything, just covering myself.

I know there's several PMs which I haven't replied to or called and I apologise for that, I just haven't had the time and have to race off again now.

I gave her a quick hose to get rid of the layer of dust and snapped some pics. If you want close ups of anything please list them and I'll get them done asap but as I said time is tight so that might take up to next weekend. Pics:

zed-1.jpg

zed-2.jpg

zed-3.jpg

zed-4.jpg

zed-5.jpg

zed-6.jpg

Quick follow up.

I've had a couple of notes telling me I'm not asking enough $$$. I'm well aware I could ask for more but there's a reason to my madness. As I've said I spent 3 months searching daily for a car and was getting nowhere. The gent that owned this one previously was the father of a friend of friend sort of thing. The car actually wasn't for sale but being an Zed enthusiast himself he sold it to me for a cheaper price than he could've.

I greatly appreciated that and am now looking to return the favour in a small way to the Z car community. So I'm masking enough to cover most of my costs and not looking to make a big profit on a rare car. I would hope that the car isn't bought just to resell at a higher price and that the new owner will appreciate what they'll have.

That said I will be advertising it later this week to the general public and the price will be higher.

I've agreed to take a deposit (just waiting for the deposit today) to hold the car until a buyer can get to Sydney to inspect in the next few weeks. As part of that agreement the car is still open to offers however the current buyer will have the option to counter the offer. Of course there's always a chance, no matter how small, that the buyer won't like something once they do inspect in which case the car will be back on the market so I will take refundable deposits if someone wants to be next in line should the current buyer decline to carry through with the purchase.

Not surprisingly given how hard they've become to find there's been a lot of interest in my car and with my current situation I haven't been able to reply to all the enquiries for which I apologise.