Mig vs. Tig Welding

Brabham

Hi,

I have read the great debate in the previous topic about the relative merits of various types of welders. I have also read up a little bit and watched a few videos on mig and tig welding. I am looking at getting either a gas mig or tig welder. I believe that gas migs are superior to gasless so I have discounted the gasless option (sorry to anyone who uses gasless ;)).

I have a few questions:

1. Would people who have knowledge and experience of both recommend either a gas mig or a tig welder for doing panels on a Z?

2. Which of these welds at a cooler temperature and thus causes less distortion?

3. How easy is trying to tig weld a vertical surface such as a firewall without the weld running down?

4. What brands of welders, amp range, and adjustability e.g. amps, voltage etc would I require to get a perfect weld?

5. Would people recommend the brands "Unimig" or "Migomag" although I am leaning towards a Cig as they have a good reputation.

Any other thoughts or comments regarding the above. I am looking at getting the welder second hand in order to get a better quality model. Any thoughts on Chinese made machines? Thanks for all the info. :D

Hello Mate

My 2cw..........

I think youll find many of the answers to your questions ( listed in the posts )..... ;)

Tig is not for beginners ( Im assuming you are ) and requires a skill set above the average welder, I use Cigweld gear and run a gas mig @ .9 wire for all my repairs, a vertical up for firewall repairs using mig will not run / drip

To stop panel warp from excessive heat, tack your repair piece into place, weld a small section, let it cool and repeat

A perfect weld is really only achievable by the person holding the handpiece with good knowledge of their gear combined with their ability

If you are talking about butt welding pieces of guards and panels to each other than a tig would be perfect. I find them slow (when I do it) but then I have seen korean welders at work weld big stainless pipes very quickly and with amazing looking welds. I would use the mig for joining sections like tack weld joins and anything above 1mm thick.

+1 for the Gas MIG. Amperage between 185 to 200amp.

Don't skimp! Spend $1000-$2000 on a good quality name brand unit. I love Lincon Electric.

Don't get a 2nd hand unit - you may not know it's history...

I've just bought myself a 200amp AC/DC TIG & while I'm reasonably proficient with a TIG

there will be very little panelwork I'll do with it.

A TIG is NOT a suitable welder for someone starting out with doing bodywork.

BTW - go do a TAFE welding course. You might just learn something... ;)

I have recently purchased and started using a Cig weld 170HF tig welder about 2 weeks ago (the total setup cost approx. $1000). I had never tig welded before and only done arc and mig welding in school about 7 years ago, But do know a bit about welding through my job.

At the moment i am making a work bench out of 2mm tube and it is comming along pretty good, every thing just take practices. Tig welding is not as hard as i thought and in my opinion is better for panel work on cars (less heat, less distortion, more controllable).

I am 100% glad i purchased a tig over a mig, IMO tig is not any harder than mig. A bad tig weld will generally look better than a average mig weld.

Thanks guys. Any opinions on unimig and migomag. Lurch I know I shouldn't be but I am still tempted to buy 2nd hand as I could get a 200 Amp Cig for around 1K. What are the things that could happen to the welder if it has been abused? I don't have that much cash and looking to spend around 800-1K hence the consideration of a second hand CIG.

• 5 weeks later...

BTW - go do a TAFE welding course. You might just learn something... ;)

Stupid welding course I want to do starts on the day of my end of year exams so will have to wait till next year when they run it again ..... ANNOYING! I was real keen on it too.

Hey I've asked those same questions. Don't discount gas welding, check out this site for the Henrob 2000 welder and some top work.

http://gallery.oldholden.com/Streetneat/Streetneats-secrets-shared

Er... I'd have to disagree here, and say definitely discount gas welding unless you have 10 or 20 years of experience at it.  Some people can do brilliant work with the right torch, but they are seriously gifted - you aren't going to be able to just pick up an oxy set and make beautiful repairs on a body panel, although you might make some pretty lacework patterns trying.

Er... I'd have to disagree here, and say definitely discount gas welding unless you have 10 or 20 years of experience at it.  Some people can do brilliant work with the right torch, but they are seriously gifted - you aren't going to be able to just pick up an oxy set and make beautiful repairs on a body panel, although you might make some pretty lacework patterns trying.

Ditto.....

:)

Theres a welding business across the road from me, I asked them if I should consider getting a TIG for panel work and they said why would I bother when Ive got a good mig. They said dont bother with a tig unless I start welding a bit of aluminium. As a mig is cheaper I would suggest that for the money you have you will get a much better mig than tig. Theres another business down the road that builds $250k hot rods for people with too much money. That guy uses his mig for panel work, even though he has a tig. Hes a pretty handy guy too, hes shown me how to replace the door mechanism on the 240z so that I wont have to slam the door anymore, and how to build a bonnet latching system that allows you to open the hood forwards, backwards, or to either side. I just wish I had some time to do some more work on the 240, its been sitting all alone in my shed for two months.

Theres a welding business across the road from me, I asked them if I should consider getting a TIG for panel work and they said why would I bother when Ive got a good mig. They said dont bother with a tig unless I start welding a bit of aluminium. As a mig is cheaper I would suggest that for the money you have you will get a much better mig than tig. Theres another business down the road that builds $250k hot rods for people with too much money. That guy uses his mig for panel work, even though he has a tig. Hes a pretty handy guy too, hes shown me how to replace the door mechanism on the 240z so that I wont have to slam the door anymore, and how to build a bonnet latching system that allows you to open the hood forwards, backwards, or to either side. I just wish I had some time to do some more work on the 240, its been sitting all alone in my shed for two months.

care to share this wise mans wisdom? I'm keen on the door mech.