KHGC110 project

BenZed

According to what I've read all of the 240K 2-doors sold in Australia were auto. I've seen manuals but they had been converted.

Dunno where you read that. The first load of GT's sent to Australia in 73 were 4 speed manual, and coupe only (I don't think there were any auto GT's but thats just a guess). 74 they added the sedan and both coupe and sedan were available as 5 speed manuals, or 3 speed auto, and badged as GL's.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Various sources.

From years of hanging around on classiczcars.com in the 240K section.  Seen far too many pictures of manual Coupes for them all to be conversions (not enough manual sedans around to scavenge gearboxes, pedals and center consoles)

The fact that my 240K has the gear knob, from a 4 speed manual GT (even though the gearbox is a 5 speed).

Redbook lists both manual and auto for the coupe from 74 onwards, and only manual for 73.

Australian advertising from back in the day, saying that they were available with a 5 speed manual. http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=13942&cat=500&ppuser=6441

And I have a wheels magazine road test from march 73 that I cant find at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that was a Manual too.

This might help - I have circled all Australian models - the first part of the screen is the body style, trim level, axles and engine config. With the second part of the screen showing the transmission and market they were destined for ie AST = Australian Market

post-104-144023562005_thumb.png

post-104-144023562024_thumb.png

LOL. You had me re-reading some old posts on classiczcars.com looking for some actual proof they were manual, since I couldn't find the scanned magazine article, and believe me this is mild compared to what went on over there.  :o

I'll have to look for the magazine then. Mind you, it wouldn't be the first time Wheels got something wrong. Calling the P76 car of the year for one...

The Ken-Mary shape seems to be getting a bit of attention these days:

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010/03/02/gallery-gt-gt-the-best-of-ken-amp-mary.aspx

Trial-fitted the flares and wheels today. I'm going to run 17x8.5 +4 at the front and 17x9.5 -19 at the rear. The C110 flares don't give you as much room at the front as you get on a Zed, so the 17x9 -13 wasn't suitable. Once it is lowered this combo should sit just nicely inside the flares without too much tyre stretch.

post-853-144023562241_thumb.jpg

post-853-14402356225_thumb.jpg

post-853-144023562254_thumb.jpg

Fitted some low springs and shocks to the back of the car today. A pair of 10kg/mm 200mm springs seem to sit just right, while modified MX5 rear dampers were a good match. As you can see the 17x9.5s are actually an easy fit at the rear.

post-853-144023562791_thumb.jpg

post-853-144023562797_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Looks fantastic Ben, the C110 shape is so under appreciated really. I don't think it helped that the normal C110 rear wheel arch had the shape it did. With the flares its a massive improvement.

• 3 weeks later...

Trial-fitted the flares and wheels today. I'm going to run 17x8.5 +4 at the front and 17x9.5 -19 at the rear. The C110 flares don't give you as much room at the front as you get on a Zed, so the 17x9 -13 wasn't suitable. Once it is lowered this combo should sit just nicely inside the flares without too much tyre stretch.

Is it just me or does that first photo make it look a lot like a 180 SSS ?!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It's looking pretty as it is now.

What size rim are going in the rear of this thing, there is HEAPS of room!

The rears will be 17x9.5 -19 Rotas, might still need a spacer to fill it right out.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Restored carbon bonnet waiting to go on and they just released carbon bumpers, so I'm getting those too. Then I asked about replacing the stainless trims around the grille an tail-lights and they are going to custom-make those for me. I seem to have developed a carbon fixation  :P

• 1 month later...

Just got the shell back from the paint shop. Not exactly a show-quality job as I only paid $3K, but I got the engine bay, sills etc done so it looks pretty good. I chose a silver colour off a V35 Skyline they had sitting in the paint shop, has very fine mica. Don't know the name but the code is KYO. The flares and rear spoiler are still off the car as they're getting painted gunmetal grey. It's nice to have it all shiny, keen to put it back together now.

post-853-144023594956_thumb.jpg

post-853-144023594971_thumb.jpg

post-853-14402359498_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Finally got the flares back and screwed back on, so I put some tyres on the Rota wheels and bolted them on too. As it turned out I needed 20mm spacers at the back to get the wheel sitting where I wanted it. This makes the rears 17x9.5 -39 offset  ;D 

The tyres are 215/45 front and 235/45 rear. There is about 2mm of clearance to the flares at some points, but they don't hit so that's all that matters.

post-853-144023610086_thumb.jpg

post-853-144023610096_thumb.jpg

post-853-144023610106_thumb.jpg