Sign in to follow this  
acf321

Brown Hornet - heart transplant

Since the Hornet is in pieces, and i'm thinking about the motor I decided to have a look at the motor and note its a P30 block with E88 head. Prior owner tells me its got a mild cam, does have 40mm webbers, elec dizzy and extractors. Spoke to James Flett who told me that I have two options; 1) go for a factory 240 setup, or 2) wild L28 .... reckons the L26 is the one in the middle that is neither here or there (he was not at all nasty about it, just suggested if I wanted HP, then CI's were a good starting point, which is hard to disagree with).

Ok... so thats the history, I need some advise on my motor ... If I said I wanted 250HP from what I have am I dreaming? What i'm thinking is: 1) machine block 11.5:1, 2) do correct large valve job, porting and skimming of existing E88 head, 3) add domed style pistons, that James mentioned he has been using, 3) new 6 into 1 extractor set (see BenZed's set), 4) tuned 40mm webbers (or do I need 45's?? - don't want to do F Inj ... yet), 5) machined flywheel etc etc.

What do you think ??? Do I chase this route or bin the L26 and buy a L28 short block and start again ??? If the later is the way to go, how much do I need to spend, does anybody have an L28 for sale? Will 40's go with this, or will I need 45's ???

Cheers

Adam

First off, whats your budget for building the engine?

If you don't have one, may I suggest you lay a budget out on paper.

Secondly, what sort of driving will you be doing to warrent such HP/Trq figues?

thanks lurch ..

Not sure about budget until I know what I need to spend .. as in what would a well sorted fast road L28 cost?

Purpose... fast road / potential targa use, so need plenty of torque for tight twisty roads.. not interested in turbo lag (been there, done that), and not interested in needing 8000rpm before the thing starts to move (aka V-tec / rotary style 9000rpm top end power).

For a good, torquey, reliable, Targa spec engine I'd budget 10k to have one built (no I am not joking!).

Double that for a properly built 3.1ltr stroker.

That's a pretty accurate figure... my "budget" L24 build is just a tad under 5K.. That's just a cam, some light porting and some small details.. Should be good for around 130ish Kw's at the wheels.