Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Time taken to do an engine swap?

After some inspiration from Dimitri this afternoon and seeing that I have some extra unplanned spare time currently, I have decided to put in the l28 that has been collecting dust in the garage for the last 18 months.

I am hoping to get started and hopefully finished tomorrow (was going to do it today but thought the wife might not approve seeing that it is the wedding anniversary)

I have done A series and L4 series quite a few times but have not done the L6 before.  I am hoping 4-5 hours to have it running

What sort of times have you done an engine change in?

Bruce

Yea i took my engine out 3 weeks ago and had it out in 2.5 hrs, it's the teething problems that always chew up the clock.

haaar.

I was also going to do a little zed work today, but thought as its also our wedding annivesary  :-X :-X...

My record is approx 40 mins..that's without any seized or stubborn bolts etc.. But an engine installation is a different thing. Providing  you have everything needed like gaskets etc, from memory I had one installed in about 3 hours. If you need a hand Bruce, just give me a call!

The Engine came out this afternoon.

It took around 2 hours.

There is a heap of fiddly things like all the manifold bolts and the carby and choke connections which take time.

Hopefully i'll get out to the garage tonight to put the L28 in.

cheers

Bruce

Just an update....

The L28 went in yesterday.  As said above it took longer than expected due to unforeseen problems.

I was using an engine crane, however the reach on the crane wasn't long enough for the length of the Zeds nose.

The nut for the front pulleys on the L28 for power steering, alternator and air conditioning wouldn't come off.  I am still working on getting this off.

hopefully get it started tonight or tomorrow.

I assume your taking them off the crank.........

These pulleys will be difficult ( mongrel ) to get off, a shame you didn't attempt this while the engine was out of the car would have been a lot easier, you'll need to jam a large flat blade screwdriver or a shaped piece of 50mm flat bar beveled on one end in the flywheel and use a hefty breaker bar and socket or rattle gun to get them off

These pulleys will be difficult ( mongrel ) to get off, a shame you didn't attempt this while the engine was out of the car would have been a lot easier

I couldn't move them with the engine out.  I thought I might be able to do it with the car in gear and hand brake on with the rattle gun.  hopefully have a crack at it tomorrow.

A bit of an update, hope it doesn't sound like waffling.

I got the bolt holding the pulleys off quite easily with the rattle gun.  Needed a wheel puller to get the actual pulleys off after the bolt came off.Put them back on using a torque wrench at 100ft/lb and some loctite as suggested.

The engine is out of a 280zx.  I bolted the mechanical fuel pump up to it and turned it over.  Nothing..... Fuel isn't coming through the pump.  Took the pump off and manually pumped it, it is working fine.  Lifted the rocker cover, there is no cam for the fuel pump as the 280zx uses an electric fuel pump.  I'll have to grab a cam tomorrow. Assuming they are a straight forward bolt on. Hopefully thats the last thing to sort out and the Z should be mobile again. (fingers crossed)

Alternatively, buy yourself an electric fuel pump, and use that instead?  If you can get a cam for free, do that way I guess, but if its going to cost you money, I'd just bung an electric pump on, they're about $100-140 last time I checked (depending on brand of course, that was a Goss pump)

If you want an electric fuel pump, forum member "Mr Green" has a 260Z elec fuel pump for sale. He lives in Mt Waverley so it should be easy to get. That should bolt in and solve that issue if you want to go that way. Check in the Classifieds section.