Diff noise

Hey guys,

Since i can remember my car has made clunky noises in the diff, specifically when enagaging/disengaging clutch and coming on or of throttle.

Also in neutral it just makes this rattling sound.

I have notice no difference in the way the car runs at all besides all these noises happening, the car has still run fine and it doesnt seem to have gotten worse or better.

im wondering what is happening? is this normal? or is my Diff mount worn?

Your diff is stuffed. Either get a new/replacement diff or linkages.

:Dhahaha mad.

any more info on why/ how its stuffed though?

and do i HAVE to replace it? i know its going to be bullshit  trying to get another R200 and i really dont have the money.

Also, i would find it to be a joke if it is broken, as ive had it "fully serviced" so many times and not once has the mechanics even mentioned the diff being faulty.

Sounds like it's worn out to me. I guess it's 30 years old. Mine did the same thing in the old days before I put an LSD in. But I was running a bit of extra power. Is your motor beefed up at all? I suppose you really need to pull it out and have a look at the internals. A guy here in Melbourne does a great job at that. But not sure who is local to you. I am no expert but it would seem it's seen better days.

specifically when enagaging/disengaging clutch and coming on or of throttle.

Check the diff mount..Had the same thing on mine and it was the mount..

Warren at allzeds has them..

Pretty comman problem in Zeds....The dreaded Z clunk.

specifically when enagaging/disengaging clutch and coming on or of throttle.

Check the diff mount..Had the same thing on mine and it was the mount..

Warren at allzeds has them..

Pretty comman problem in Zeds....The dreaded Z clunk.

I have the same issue with mine, its the front mount yeah? i read that it can be very expensive because they wear away so quickly.

• Moderators

When you mean in neutral; is that rolling or at a standstill? I would drain the oil out of the diff and check the condition of the oil. If small metal fragments come out... look for a diff overhaul place..

Quote from: V8Datto on Yesterday at 06:26:38 PM

Could be clutch or gear box, Does this noise go away if you put your foot on the clutch and hold it?

noise stops when i put foot on the clutch yes.

I have a similar noise, which goes away when the clutch is depressed.  My diagnoses was the thrust bearing.

had similar problem x2 in my s14.

first time was told it was the thrust bearing and not to worry about it. 3 days later all 5gears were destroyed as bearings calopsed chip the tooth and it was chain reaction after that only reverse stayed intact which is on the opposite side.  :P though 3rd gear at full bore died at 150km/h so by the time i stoped it was matal grinder in the box.

could be thrust bearing but if its almost knocking sound it most probably be the gearbox bearings.

box #2 died unexpetedly made no noise just died from hard launching.

box #3 has similar issues to the box#1 but the car is driven by my better half so its not driven hard. once i get the s15 ready for her ill be replacing the bearings in the s14.

so drive it easy if u dont want to end up on the trailer or flat bed truck.

Ahh damn,

so should i just book it in to an expert have them have a look at it?

i CANNOT have this car off the road long i need it for work. ill drive as tame as i can, its mostly traffic anyways, but it involves alot of clutch in clutch out so plenty of stress on parts that are the problem.

this gearbox should not be broken, its only done like 25,000km since it was rebuilt!

Also i cannot afford for my gears to explode.

the problem is i need to find a trustworthy mechanic, because like i said, ive had this serviced a couple of times and non of the previous ones have picked up the problem.

lol they wont explode unless u changing gears at 7000rpm and dumping the clutch. it could be somethign as simple as the thrust bearing. didnt mean to scare you.

what gets me when u pressed the clutch noise goes away as that disables the gearbox from the engine. when in neutral and knocking noise u can hear it somewhere in center of the box. thrust bearing is bit closer to the engine. and usualy they kinda tick or grind.

option #2 buy another gearbox incase that one dies. replacing the box should take you not more than 2hrs if you done it before.if novice leave at least 4-6hrs. but wont take long very simple and easy to do on the s30.

lol they wont explode unless u changing gears at 7000rpm and dumping the clutch. it could be somethign as simple as the thrust bearing. didnt mean to scare you.

what gets me when u pressed the clutch noise goes away as that disables the gearbox from the engine. when in neutral and knocking noise u can hear it somewhere in center of the box. thrust bearing is bit closer to the engine. and usualy they kinda tick or grind.

option #2 buy another gearbox incase that one dies. replacing the box should take you not more than 2hrs if you done it before.if novice leave at least 4-6hrs. but wont take long very simple and easy to do on the s30.

hahaha yeah im abit nervous now,

but seriously the gearbox doesnt feel bad at all, and the noise is like 98% surely coming form the back of the car. like i just turned my car on and climbed in the back and its just this light noise of rattling.. its not loud or violent, its basically like if a piece of trim was vibrating.. but its coming from where the diff is. also the clunk does not happen everytime i engage/disengage the clutch, id say maybe 35% of the time and the clunk is DEFINALTY at the rear of the car, and again is not violent or extra loud just a clunk as if something just engaged something else..

i really cant understand it, you guys have provided alot of useful advise but i just dont know. I mean surely it has to be diff related..

so to put simply its 2 main noises im hearing. the soft rattling in neutral while im stopped while touching no pedals, and the "whump" i hear SOMETIMES when i engage/disengage the clutch.

??? ??? ???

the rattle on neutral could be only thrust bearing or gbox bearing if u not thumping through the gears shouldnt cause u any trouble.

the knocking at the back could be:

1.worn diff

2.Stuffed universal on the driveshafts

3.stuffed universal on the tailshaft

4. Stuffed front diff mount

5. Diff strap is stretched and its making the diff rise and prob took out the front diff mount.

6.Also any of these things could be loose. maybe last person forgot to tighten the tailshaft properly. worth a check. 

these are all easily checked.

check for free play on the universals.

for damaged diff mounts jack the front of the diff and see how far it lifts before the diff strap catches it. inspect the rubber for cracks. new diff mounts around $80 from nissan.

also check the moustache bar mounts could be worn too. can get these from super pro or nolathane.

also check for loose diff bolts and suspension parts.

all this u can do it yourself.

i had few issues with rear when i got the car on the road.

incorrectly adjusted custom diff strap and dodgy diff mount. also the 2 bolts that tighten the diff to the moustache bar were loose. so it does happen.  ;D replaced and adjusted all that and it was sweet

• 3 weeks later...