SU Ram Pipes\Velocity Stacks

fomoco_44

Hi All  :D

Me again....must be getting sick of me by now.

I'm looking at getting some ram pipes for the HS6 SU's I have, and I noticed there are several on the market available. Main difference seems to be length of the pipe, as pictured.

Does anyone have any info\opinions on what is better?

I'm thinking of using the short type so that I can still fit them under my Redline Chrome filter housing, instead of buying socks.

post-1016-144023523874_thumb.jpg

post-1016-144023523875_thumb.jpg

post-1016-144023523876_thumb.jpg

Norm the 12 second su dude's cheap velocity stack. If you look half way down the page he says...

he had a section covering SU's and they saw a 5% increase in power with the stub stacks and a 3.5% power increase with the longer air horns. Althouh the longer airhorns did make slightly more torque at a lower rpm.

If you are running a real racetrack where you have to slow down a lot then I'd say those would be the better option, but for the drag strip, HP will win out over low end torque unless you are really hoooking hard off the line and even then increased HP will normally win. I've tuned my car both ways and it's about a tenth slower in the 1/8 mile when tuned with a slight bias towards increased low end torque.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/4/2050673/page=1

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/4/2051341

• 1 month later...

The longer the stack the better for Hp and Torque. Having a longer inlet track that is straight smooths the airflow allowing it to be sucked in faster...

Maybe the reason that a standard cover works best is the cold air??? I would bet its not the flow characteristics. Make a plenum with the stacks in it and it would be SWEET :D Have a look at the V8 supercar stacks and they're about 10cm long.

-EDIT- Cannot remember if they were Supercar stacks or otherwise that I saw at a race meeting recently...

I read on another forum that Ram Tubes are for smoothing out the incoming air flow but on yet another forum they say that it's a no no to polish the inside of your intake manifold as the air fuel mixture is mixed better traveling through the rough surface of a standard intake that still has the casting marks on it! Please Explain?

post-762-144023528752_thumb.png

• Moderators

Apparently, the rough surface is supposed to help turbulence in the airflow to help atomise the fuel so it burns more efficently. If you have EFI, you can polish as the fuel is already atomised better than what a carb can do. One thing you want to avoid is fuel condensing on the intake manifold walls..