Sign in to follow this  
Mick280zx

Zed running like a dog

I think zedback is on the money.

I just remembered that the steel line from the filter to the injectors is kinked near the front of the rocker cover. I dismissed it because it seemed to be the return line (?)

Maybe the pump is just shagged

As far as the ECU goes I not long ago removed the 35 pin connector and cleaned everything up and all looked fine.

Another issue may be that crap is stuck in the small filters in the injectors? But it does sound like the pump is shagged.

that pressure was tested from the hose coming directly from the fuel pump not the steel lines etc, also it was just trickling out compared to my 260z fuel pump and it only runs low pressure but thanks for the info on the dint ill be getting a new fuel pump hopefuly tomorow so we will see how it all goes.

cheers pauly

My zed pretty much has exactly the same symptoms. The only way I can get it to run without coughing its guts up is to run it with zero advance. Does yours do the same?

Ray

...is to run it with zero advance...

Other things to check are your valve clearances and confirm your timing.

My 280zx started playing up badly and then a few days later the dampener pulley on the crank pulley separated completely, it has the timing mark on it.  I've heard of them slipping a few degrees as the rubber bond starts to disintegrate.  :(

Ray, zero advance if your running carbs doesnt quite sound right..a few of us are running 7-8 degrees advance and its perfect (for our motors anyway !)

yes the pullies do slip currently on my 260z its is set to 25 degrease advanced mind you its realy only about 8. as for the 280zx i done a test on the mass air flow meter and its saying its no good so new one is on its way, new fuel pump is fitted and much better car will idle now rough but will idle and fuel pressure is good again. so ill keep you posted on how it all goes.

cheers pauly

Other things to check are your valve clearances and confirm your timing.

My 280zx started playing up badly and then a few days later the dampener pulley on the crank pulley separated completely, it has the timing mark on it.  I've heard of them slipping a few degrees as the rubber bond starts to disintegrate.  :(

Interesting. I pulled my timing cover off and got everything to TDC. Looked down at the timing mark on the dampener and it was nothing near TDC. Hmm, have to check the pulley....

Well Zero advance on the distributor anyway. Oh yeah it makes very little power, but at least it doesnt spit and sputter and backfire.

yes the pullies do slip currently on my 260z its is set to 25 degrease advanced mind you its realy only about 8. as for the 280zx i done a test on the mass air flow meter and its saying its no good so new one is on its way, new fuel pump is fitted and much better car will idle now rough but will idle and fuel pressure is good again. so ill keep you posted on how it all goes.

cheers pauly

I was talking to my mechanic mate today and told him about the symptoms of my car and he said it could very well be the air flow meter. I will check mine tomorrow and hopefully thats all it is.

Ray

ok car is now running and driving better than before mind you it is realy out of tune. worked out it was the fuel pump and the airflow meter, there was a part in the air flow meter that had become detached so i put it on and presto it lives. if anyone need some help with similar symptoms just ask. im still putting on my new air flow sensor when it arrives but i can finaly drive it again.

thankyou for all your help and i hope oneday i can return the favor.

cheers pauly

got the new sensor today so it will be going on tonight its running 100% better than it was and im hoping with the new sensor it will run even beter ill keep you posted on the resaults.

cheers pauly

nope its back to its old ways i installed the new sensor it runs much smoother but is poping down low. seems to be lack of fuel due to when it pops its out the intake not exaust and it runs fine untill it becomes warm. next step now is to put the old one back in and see if it comes good again if so then im truely puzzeled ill keep you posted on whats going on it sounds like its a injector so ill also check that moz.

cheers pauly

nope its back to its old ways i installed the new sensor it runs much smoother but is poping down low. seems to be lack of fuel due to when it pops its out the intake not exaust and it runs fine untill it becomes warm. next step now is to put the old one back in and see if it comes good again if so then im truely puzzeled ill keep you posted on whats going on it sounds like its a injector so ill also check that moz.

cheers pauly

If it comes good with the old air flow metre back on, then the new one probably just needs a bit of adjustment (or could be faulty)....

ok old one is back on with some adjustment it seem about 95% good it still has a bit of a dead spot but with more tuning it should come good. as for what i done on the old one i just drenched it in contact cleaner  but i also found this it seem like it will help both of us out.

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/afm/index.html

cheers pauly

car is now 99% good, had one pop i think this was due to air flow sensor bypass. now all i need to do is some fine tuning over the weekend and it should be good for gold. if any one has these symtoms i would recomend reading the tutorial it makes quite alot of difference in smothness and power when you get it right. thank you all once again and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

cheers pauly