Sign in to follow this  
acf321

Jap Style Fender Mirror - Correct placement

As far as im aware either measurement is close enough and wouldnt bother spliting hairs.

Ive been using Alen's info for years and 99.9% of the time he was spot on. I do not doubt his info for a sec.

From what i have gathered that early zeds weren't precission made and lot of quirks and faults compared s2.

Nism0zed yeah i know was a joke just a bad one at the wrong time.

Im not a purist as well and have the same attitude as you when comes what i do to my cars. But do appriciate the concourse guys and having an attempt myself with this s1 i got. Alan and Greg chassis181 are my source of correct info for s1 cars. Appologies for being too harsh. So no hard feelings from my side.

And Chris i think nizm0zed is old and big enough to fight his own battles so he don't need backup.if u got something to say than pm me.

Enjoy the fender mirror placement guys wherever you decide to mount them.

Whoa sorry guys didn't mean to start a sh*t fight!

I come to this conclusion;

Original drawing - measurements after mirrors have been installed on car, including allowances for mirror mounting base.

Modified drawing - measurements for installation purposes (centrepoint for hole saw drill).

Conclusion: - Both drawings appear to be accurate and essentially take you to the same outcome (+/- 5mm), just different ways of going about it.

So at the end of another three pages we have come to the same conclusion. There is multiple fitments, all very similar, use the diagram, but most of all put them where YOU like them..... After all you're the one who see's the most faults with your car, cause you've seen every inch of it  :)

No offense intended, but it might be time to lock this thread mods!

I come to this conclusion;

Original drawing - measurements after mirrors have been installed on car, including allowances for mirror mounting base.

Installed at the factory, don't forget....

Modified drawing - measurements for installation purposes (centrepoint for hole saw drill).

Conclusion: - Both drawings appear to be accurate and essentially take you to the same outcome (+/- 5mm), just different ways of going about it.

Except that your "modified" drawing gives the dimensions as being symmetrical for left and right, whereas - and this is beyond doubt - the Japanese market positions were assymetrical.

Any differences in dimensions that come down to Millimetres are quite likely due to the fact that there NO hard and fast datum point to measure from on the inner side of the wing / fender / guard, even when it's not mounted on the car. I think it's very likely that the original mounting holes were punched ( not drilled ) into the sheetmetal by a guy who had to manhandle the panel onto some kind of jig fixture. I doubt 100% consistent accuracy down to a couple of mm was possible, or even expected.

My original dimension drawing was made in response to a request for the mounting positions on the original ZGs, and I pointed out at the time that - as far as I am aware - no factory dimensions for the mounting positions exist. It's been frustrating to see these dimensions copied, reposted and misunderstood ( because they were taken out of their original context ) and then accused of being "wrong" when people are looking at the results of others misinterpreting and misunderstanding them. I'm not 100% sure that the rare 'Export' model instances of factory fender mirrors - early Australian / NZ cars and even some early Euro and Scandinavian cars - were even mounted in the same position(s) as the Japanese market ones. Nissan did all sorts of unexpected little things that can trip us up....

I'm not always right. I'm not the Pope. By all means dispute the dimensions, but come back at me with some hard and fast evidence to show why I might be wrong. Photos of cars from the internet are not evidence of anything ( especially when they are clearly not even original Japanese market cars in the first place, or they are wearing C10 / 510 mirrors ), but if you are going to use them to back up an opinion then for heaven's sake at least use original photos of original cars from Nissan's own sales events / advertising / technical manuals etc etc as they at least might be a little closer to the source

When all is said and done, mount them where you think they look best / work best for you.

Alan T.