HID headlight conversion

(Locky)

basically once the 240 is on the road its going to be a daily run around for a little while, so i want some good headlights. I was driving my dads old morris minor for a while, its not fun when the cars behind you cast a shadow of your car in your own headlight

read few a few old topics to get an idea of what i need, but just want to make 100% sure

pretty much ill need

a H4 hid kit (either autobarn/ebay/ lots of other kits on the net)

semi sealed beam lights from narva (autobarn staff prices FTW ;D)

15oav74.jpg

and then i have to get a relay for the H4's

either buy the one from black dragon auto

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/ICATALOG/Z/full.aspx?Page=61

or make something like this

genericHeadlight_Relay_Diagram2.jpg

then just chuck it all in

just wanted to make sure

Narva make proper 7" HID reflecto housings - when i inquired about them they were $1700 i think, and only either low beam or high beam

if you put a 6000k+ HID kit in a normal 7" reflector housing you will look like all the idiots driving around with them in their civics, blinding everyone with blue light

so buy my headlights :P i think they cost me $700ish to make from memory, and it was money well spent as before hand it was exactly as you described - the Hwhatever's in my outback get easily outdone if a car with factory HID's is behind me

a HID kit behind a Hsomething projector sometimes looks quite alright, as you have probably found with your silvias (not a 180sx though...)

if you put a 6000k+ HID kit in a normal 7" reflector housing you will look like all the idiots driving around with them in their civics, blinding everyone with blue light

eerrr... whoops i did that on my 280zx :P

ive got the diamnond h4 lense conversion with standard globes. though i have r32 wiring so its still up to the job.

i dont find much difference between this and the more modern cars. ie the S14 which u can compare to.

so ur idea is ok. it will be a big improvment over stock. expecialy if u get fresh wiring and new relays.

eerrr... whoops i did that on my 280zx :P

No Whoops about it Mate......... its all good, many 4x4's and standard cars running them

I put a set in my 280zx as well, diamond housings and plexy covers, adjusted the height slightly and they operate extremely well with no one complaining or dipping me for blinding them, I dont run spots, not keen on the look fitted to a ZX unless you get an after market lower spoiler that has them frenched in and I cant really see paying around $600 odd for spoiler and light kit plus paint for the joy, unless someone has one laying around?

Passed rego no problems, cant really comment about dickhead boy blunders in rice jet Civics driving in the City with City street lighting, I live in remote / rural cow and skippy country, so we need all the light on the road we can get.......

Cheers

your's look awesome jay, i'm wanting to go dual projectors and have them floating behind a headlight cover like you've got

there are factory hid setups that use reflectors, they use modified bulbs and generally dont produce as nice a light, and dont have anywhere near as nice a cutoff line

projectors are not all the same so its not as simple as getting a 7" housing that has a dodgy projector floating about in it thats made for H4's - not even all hid projectors are the same

this is how you want it to look

bbbbbml1.jpg

just need to find some damaged honda accord euro lights to steal the projectors from! i only have e46 projectors, which spread the light out evenly, but the beam is not as wide (not really an issue as the zed buckets block half of it anyway) and the cutoff isn't as sexy :(

1g isn't all that much to spend on lights, specially if you drive enough at night and it means missing some wildlife on the road