Another clutch bites the dust

RBZ 260

hmmm

cant stress this enough DO NOT EVER EVER BUY ACS EXTREEM CLUTCH.

Rubish.

anyway this morning my Z died.  :'(

though known the problem for a while now but was hoping it will push out bit longer till i get my workshop freed up . but now it decided to die on me.

symptom as u release the clutch close to friction point this wierd noises and ridicilus rattle accompanied by fairly violent vibration than a screech and than silence.

im in gear.

only happens close to friction point when in gear its fine and when in neutral is fine. when disangaged occasionaly i can feel and hear something catch on the flywheel.

feels like the clutch plate lost one of the ceramic pads or springs or something as its catching on the flywheel.

anyway. ordered Exedy extra heavy duty button clutch with uprated pressure plate.

prob is changing it all using car stands may be a bit of a pain. hopefully remove the gearbox tonight weather permiting, as it look very murky outside at the moment.

otherwise tommorow job after work  >:(

Exedy FTW!  The R33 GTST we built primarily for drags had a brilliant hyper single in it up until we ran slicks and caused the clutch to slip.  It had 450hp at the bags and managed a PB of 12.6 shearing a driveshaft somewhere along the track.

Personally I would never have a ceramic based clutch.  I thank MEC2402 for this knowledge  :P!!!  While ceramic is very grippy due to its high friction coefficient, it has an inherent weakness in its inability to resist stress propagation.  Once a concentration of stress forms in say a pit in the pad or some other point with a tight radius, it will propagate very quickly when loaded (ei. dropping the clutch, too many revs) and result in a mess (think BOOM type mess).  This is fine for a track car but for a regularly street driven car, organic with as many dampening springs as possible (personal preference I guess 8))

We will need pics when you open it up!  Picsorban!!!  ;D

well s15 not registered yet. plus needs a bingle fixed up before that happens.

yeah was thinking last nite. about the ceramic. not a big fan as thats whats in the Z at the moment.

i do preffer organic as well. in the S14 i have a modded exedy clutch by hardcore performance in QLD 3200 pound pressure plate with organic (actualy looks more like metal king brake pad material) apperently they run this setup in their 500hp skylines with no problems.

damn heavy clutch but 3 years and going still feels and grips the day i installed it.

though this one is i think 2500 pound pressure plate but the guy is trying to sell me the ceramic cushion. but i think i will go for the organic on the end. dont like gerbox shutter

havent pulled it down yet was too cold last nite.  ::) will take pics when out and what will happen to it when i finish with it, with my stress relief tool "THE HAMMER"  ;D

so im getting limoed by my missus in the S14  :P

zzzed flat changing is good  :P

got it out. just over 2hrs not bad doing it on the ground and by myself. few casualties to my fingers but ill survive.

as expected the clutch plate was shagged. note the broken bit around the spring. also had few cracks around the other ones.

now for flywheel machining and new clutch hopefully tommorow.

post-205-144023519958_thumb.jpg

looks like you rougher than me  :P

than again rb25boxes are lot stronger. i think my gearbox will blow quicker than the new clutch.

ended up going for the cushion ceramic exedy. should do ok for the time being till i kill something else on it most probably the first nite the drag strip reopens in SA.

So it wasn't pad failure rather localised stress around the dampers......now we have evidence that you drop the clutch!  ;D

erm im sure my clutch technique didnt help but there is a small hint that it wasnt caused by my clutch droping. evident on the pressure plate. another rubbish design of the acs clutch. ;D

story for another day but yes i dont granny shift than may as well drive an auto.

picked the new clutch and my flywheel redone.

hopefully fit it in today.

post-205-144023520008_thumb.jpg

post-205-144023520015_thumb.jpg

post-205-144023520022_thumb.jpg

clutch finaly in and most of the stuff is bolted back up again.

still no test drive as few things i want to do while the car is on the stands.

had a small setback yesterday due to dodgy tourque wrench. got a decent one and rectified the problem.

few other issues from last clutch were also rectified so it should be very good now ie fork and slave cylinder operation. cant wait. Miss the fumes and just the good old RB sound and the car rattles. Also miss the looks  :P no one looks at the s14 besides the police  :'(

ive return the factory cat in hope it will shut it up a bit. the high flow decat was removed. hope it wont eat in the power.

Z back on the road.  yay  ;D

and its so much nicer to drive than before. quiter easier smoother. heheheheh

also found few "holes" where the fumes were getting in and got them sealed.

at the moment no fumes but i haven't droped one of the windows down to see it if it will come in.

also sealing those holes made the cabin lot quiter so as the exhaust. lot better now heheh cant wait to drive again.  :P

Question time - how much power and torque does your engine make? Reason I ask is that you might find the Exedy might do just the same :(

We had a clutch PP setup like your new one in a mates racecar - did not last a season in fact dead in 1/2 a season. two words "Twin Plate" and go 7.25" never have to worry about it again :)

roughly just over 200kw at the wheels.

wouldnt go twin plate for a road car its too much of a pain. driven a cars with it and hate it with pasion. race car fair enough.

even the puck clutch i hate them too. gearbox shudder etc....

though it was between this or the organic plate. though didnt like the organic plate as it wasnt the same one i have in the S14. so we see how it treats me. if stuffs up may go custom again like i did for s14.

i would have preffered that one.oh well. my mate has the same clutch i his s14 and still seems to be ok. and hes done mor ethan 3000kms.

if stuffs up again will change it. the rubish dodgy xtreem clutch lasted 2yrs and 8000kms which is not bad for a clutch i knew was dodgy. it wasn't right from day one.