Found a Z, what do you think it's worth??

OK first of all, Hi, my name is Tim. I've been sticking my nose in this site for a little bit now while I've been trying to track down my own Z. Any way I would've prefered a 260Z 2 seater but I have found in Townsville (where I live) this 240Z which was somebodies project before they had to move cities etc etc. It was picked up by his mate a few years ago from having some body work done which included full panel replacments and some lower sill work, then resprayed red (was yellow). Now the mate who has it at his place wants it gone.

I read the advice you gave the other bloke on here that was looking at the yellow one down south. I checked all the places that you mentioned for rust and took a magnet with me etc and to tell you the truth after seeing other cars with massive rust damage in pics and vids on the net, this one exceeded my expectations. Bit of a story to go with it as always, the 2.4L engine was running before it same out a few times to dummy fit a 1JZ engine. The last time it went back in nothing got hooked back up. The interior is still at another mates place apparently.

Anyway the mate is getting in contact with the owner to find out a price and where the rest of it is.

My question is what do you think it's worth??

Doing up one of these cars isn't going to be a short term project for me and I'm pretty sure I want to throw in an RB30 with a 26 head and keep it na with six throttle bodies and trumpets etc. 

P1020420-1.jpg

P1020421.jpg

P1020423.jpg

P1020424.jpg

P1020436.jpg

P1020437.jpg

P1020438.jpg

Hello Mate

By the look of it you could strip the rest of it out and clean it all up nicely, if the bodies ok, and I take it the mechy's are sound ( although most are probably rat shit ) and you say there are more parts at his mates place, for me, Id offer him $2000. - $2500, I reckon you'd score it

Could be a bargain if the guy wants it gone, I live just down the road from you so I know theres not much interest up this part of the world for Z's

Eg: I looked at a very tidy running 300zx for $1.5k last week and an immaculate 260z / 350 chev engineered and registered for $5k, times are lean, a good time to bargain and buy

The cost of parts combined with availabilty, time and freight is the killer up our way.........

Good Luck

Cheers

Yeah I agree. But I'd start with a slightly lower offer first maybe $1500. Mine was $600 but was full of rust had a lot of work to even get it to the stage that one seems to be at. I wouldn't go over about $3000 for it. Just wondering why the preference for the 260z?

I can see a few spots of rust even from the pics, so there will more rust and more work.  But if you are willing and you can get it for a decent price like what the guys above have said, then it seems like its half decent.  But I would consider not buying it if you cant get the interior as buying an interior seperate will probly cost the same as the car.....

Yeah I know, there is a 300ZX in Ayr with a Mustang race engine (V8) C4 gearbox and a 9 inch with new interior and paint going for 5K.

The whole 260Z thing is due to the fact that they already have the 200 diff, thicker chasis rails but keep the nice shape. Now the wife also is nagging me to get a 5 seater so when it's finished I can 'take people for a ride'????????? I don't really like how the 5 seaters are longer which changes the whole curve of th car (I hope I haven't upset anyone by that).

Yeah I wasn't thinking of offering much over $1500 for it. The guy wants his money back that the paint cost him but I don't even know if he's seen it. Some of it has cracked already in places that might get covered by trims or panels but as someone else mentioned, where they didn't treat has rust bubbles anyway, so if anything the new paint means more work.

He he.

How hard would it be, to find items such as headlights, tail lights, front, rear and quarter panel glass if he couldn't find those items. Seats arn't so bad but the dash etc would be a hard find wouldn't it. I did spot a very good looking center console with ash tray etc like someone is selling on here.

Is the 2.4L and manual box worth anything if I wrecked it out?? 

sco_aus : 3 women can fit in a 2+2 relatively comfortably. and the bouncy blow up castle , 2 kegs of beer and a box of prophylactics. I dont need to go on do I ?  ;)

rb30x question :

What else comes with it? I mean 1500 sounds good if the interior parts ( those fiddly plasticy bits in good condition are getting hard to find ).

Zbits ( based in QLD a little closer to bris than you though ) has hundreds of spares. He would have windows and the like as he has a few cars on his property.

Check out the harder to find interior parts first before making an offer.

Tim, my 10cents worth....whats your budget "at present" ? always try to buy the best available car that your total budget allows for. To get a car like that back on the road cheaply, youll get no change out of $10-12,000...so why not spend more on buying a better "complete" car. Even if you pick up the shell for $1000, thats the easy bit. Do you want the headache of sourcing windows and all the hard to get bits ?. This shell would suit a circuit/track car perhaps. It depends if its going to be a weekend car where youll be doing most of the work yourself. Ive just seen so many guys buy shells & scattered parts, then lose interest after 12 months..

:) :)

Eg: I looked at a very tidy running 300zx for $1.5k last week and an immaculate 260z / 350 chev engineered and registered for $5k, times are lean, a good time to bargain and buy

Hey xa1973, that 260z with the 350 chev in it for $5000, Can you tell me what colour it is and is the owner's name is Steve.

If you want a 240Z with an LS1 in it I know of one for sale up here for around 10K.

I've since found out where the interior is, at a storage place with a big unpaid bill, so yes the rest of the car is available but how much the storage bill is.......I'll let you know but for sure it will be coming off the asking price.

cheers

Someone when a bit overboard in the spray booth (read lazy), red brake master, caps, clutch, accel linkages, fuel lines, boots etc etc.

Looks like the bay on my parts car, I have lots more rust than paint tho.

jane not reading the q's  :P

bit hard from the pics. but ill say they round top SU. the better ones. now arent they few models off them? hope someone can shine more light on this. i just ditch the whole thing  :P and replace it with modern stuff  ;D

as for overall car. most things can be found fairly easy. tailgate glass and tailgate may be bit of a pain same as door glass. all other can be cannobolised from a 2+2. door trims would be another one thats can get hard but if not in original resto than lot of options. they fairly simple and can be made easily.

ill be wrecking few parts from my 240z soonish. and may have some stuff. but hope u not in a hurry. ie glass front rear. sides im keeping. bit harder to find plus i think its missing the driver one.

that car seems to be sitting somewhere outside for a while. do a thourough check around chassis rails behind the seats and the seal panels. also check around the rad support. looks a bit ??????? from the pics.

my price would be around the 1k to 1.5k max. with the stuff thats in the storage.

ignore the paintwork it needs to be redone anyway. if all rust spots are good than it may be a good starting point but all the small things do add up on the end.

havent people heard of masking tape and paper. overspray galore. just makes it look lot worse than what it is.

though may be more financialy viable to get a complete car but im sure who ever worked on their own car sure its lot more rewarding.

just ask Dave (rev), JP, and all the others that did their own cars. i myself find it very rewarding and worth the pain and empty pockets.

as for 2+2 u 2 seater guys are just jelous u have to be cramped  :P

try fitting 4x 17"x8" with tyres inside your car.  :P also the 2+2 guys dont need flares we can put fat wheels  :P my 260z great daily and also good workhorse.

why em i bitching about it i got both LOL.......

• Moderators

Measure the throats to make sure they are the 1 3/4" Hitatchi's and not the 1 1/4". Just recently on ebay there was a set of extractors and 240 carbs at the starting bid of $10 for both, I sent him messages and eventually went down there one night and made him an offer for both there and then for $200 and he accepted. Me thinking they were good 240 Hitatchi's and got a bargain, at home upon closer inspection realized the carb throats looked a tad small...sure enough they were the 1 1/4" Hitachi's off a L20 6 cylinder...oh well, at least the extractors are in excelent condition!

OK so I have more than a few leads from a wanted add in the local paper for a 240Z or 260Z.

I've also had a few ring up with 280ZX's.

Is there a difference between the 280Z and ZX?? Not for me to buy and do up, but maybe use as a parts car?? Like dash and seats etc, does anything swap straight over.

The 2.8L engine in the ZX is the one that you guys put into 40's and 60's but usually carbied or turbo'd? One guy said he'd let me rip the 2.8L out of a 280ZX for $400. I'm not sure if thats a good deal or not. What do you guys reckon.

if he'll let you hear it running and possibly drive then yes it is. They are BULLET proof and way over engineered. Parts are relatively easy to come by as well which was a pleasant surprise.

I built mine up to be carby fed but with a CR and low end setup for turbo if I ever feel the itch. Best of both worlds really. Though triples + extractors plus a l24 cam are quite eye opening and though i got an efi setup ready I might not use it. Then i shave the head down to up the CR a bit.

Extractors :

I also got some extractors from ebay 6-2-1 with a 2.5 inch outlet.

He doesnt have any for sale but all i did was contact him and he set it all up. Good bloke and fast delivery.

http://shop.ebay.com.au/merchant/rod_mph_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZ

of course if you go turbo you wont need extractors ( or you might with some crazy custom turbo thinggy. )