Sirpent "Z"

i assumed you were going to do it the cheapest and easiest way :P lol, but it will look sweet, and would go nicely with the wide body kit alfa fibreglass sell so they should make the mould for free!

mine's 010061, and was bought on the 17th of Feb in '76 - i wonder at what stage of the build they are dated (mine's 01/76, so surely it would have taken awhile to get to aus?)? and if they restarted the vin's at 010000 after a certain change?

is your car going to be sprayed the orginal colour?

Zedevan,

mine is a 05/75 2 seater RS30 chassis # 005067, so almost 5000 units before yours, but only 7 months apart from registration dates.

Alas, when I got the car I hated the color so much I nicknamed the car "Kermit" Im now tossing up between a Honda Pearl Red Color, A Pearl Charcol, or Champagne Gold, guess I will only come down to the color choice by the time its ready to get edged up.

Cheers

John

I must say the G-Nose also helps the stability of the car at high speed. At 250klm my car sticks to the road like glue. No wondering. It's as stable as anything. But don't ask me where I did that speed.  ;D

Sirpent also be aware it's not about getting over speed humps it's about going up driveways and sharp rises. The over hang could become a problem for you there.

I=On the light front. I am with you Evan. I have found a Porsche head light (late model) that might fit the G-Nose with very little mod. something for me to work on 5 years down the track. It's lower on the priority list of mods at the moment. ;)

Craig,

Realise the point about the drive way situation, I also own a Soarer SC400 coupe with airbag adjustable suspension and am always careful when going up the driveway, angled approach is always the best, but buddy the humps out my way are so high and steeply raked that if I can approachone without that overhang scraping before the front wheels make contact with the hump some 25 minutes later with the hybrid G-Nose Im planning I should be right for all other scenario's.............LOL

If you and Evan can find the Porsche lamp you mentioned, I could try morphing it into that illustration of the nose to see what the effect would be like.

Cheers

John

nice work sirpent. that gnose should look sweet. may even put an order for one.

good to see that some even "finished" cars like Craigs beast there are more plans in the future for improvments. i havent even finished mine 100% no door trims or center console or rear covers but ive allready scheduled some big changes for it.

i dont think ill be able to take mine to 250km/h cause even at 190km/h (done in controlled invironment like Craigs test......  :P) the front does feel floaty.

i do have a upgrade in the plans for a bigger front spoiler hoping to keep the nose bit more down.

funny i also had a look at few round sloping headlights that may fit in the headlight cones.

though none cheap. i had a look at new mini ones, daewoo matiz, dodge neon. saying that i never got one to see how close it will look. which porsche are we talking about craig? the 997? ouch in $$$ if that one.

i want to improve the look of the 2+2 without going to flares (saving them for the 240) not a big fan of body kits (most a freaking ugly anyway)

but may go the old fashioned moding hot roding and improving the troubled lines of the 2+2. big job but have the parts and tools just need to find the time. 

dont want it to look like something else still want it to be recognised as Z. but still cause lot of confusion among the Z community. so keep an eye out on my re-rebuild in few months.

Thanks RBZ, Im chatting to Fraser at ALFA via email ping pong about the upper nose which he has started to fabricate for me and about getting the finished item back to him once I finish the re-modelling to get a mould made up for the final production of mine in carbon fibre, he likes the design so im pretty sure it may become available down the track, will keep everyone posted.

Good luck with the 2+2 re-model, I think its got a lot of posibilities, it's just that roof line that ruin's the body flow (Just my opinion) but a lot of potential if you are willing to put in the effort.

With the bottom half of the Gnose this pic might help with an idea of a more modern bumper on a zed

1111gl.th.jpg

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=130044

Chartoo, thats damn close to what I came up with and if I was going for the normal "Z" front think that would be the way I'd go.

Thanks for the post to both of you.

Cheers

John

What is the thought behind going carbon fibre?

Is the carbon going to be painted or natural?

If it is going to be painted, then wouldn't a urethane bumper be more forgiving on the driveways/bumps?

If it is natural then cool and be careful not to scrape.

Garvice

In response to your question, there are a lot of so called carbon fibre products on the market, the difference being that some are made using Polyester resin being the cheapest product and others made using epoxy resin.

I intend having my nose made using epoxy resin as it has the following qualities that surpass fibregalss and polyester resin based carbon fibre products.

Epoxy resin based carbon fibre products are extremely flexible. The flexibility allows a carbon fiber product to absorb a high level of impact force without breaking unlike Polyester resin products.

Epoxy resin does not spider-crack. When epoxy reaches its maximum bending potential (MBP), it will form only a single crack at the stress point unlike polyester products which which are inflexible and will spider-crack at the merest bend, spider cracks fracture from the point of damage and are very difficult to fix.

Epoxy resin does not shrink and is 100% UV resistant, while Polyester resin will shrink over time and alter the shape of the final product, resulting in installation headaches and additional modifications for proper fit and is not UV resistant, thats why you see a lot of aftermarket items show a harsh degree of warping.

Apart from these structural points, unlike epoxy based products, excessive amounts of polyester resin need to be used during the molding process, this adds considerable weight to the product and defeats the purpose of purchasing lightweight carbon fiber.

Hope this clears up my motives.

Cheers

John

That front spoiler on the goldy/brown Zed in the States looks fantastic even I would have considered one if available over here or knew about them.

Also Serpent make sure you modify the top of your G-nose where the indent is for the Number plate display. Just under the front lip. Fill it in so the front bottom lip is all one straight/flat line. Otherwise it will look very average. Just another tip.

That front spoiler on the goldy/brown Zed in the States looks fantastic even I would have considered one if available over here or knew about them.

I tried to getting in touch with the guy who makes that spoiler. He said he would get back to me but never did. Hard thing is that he lives in Lithuania! :o

Ha yeah a lot of people like to keep their stuff original. Bit like my front. I could make a mould but then 10 other Zeds might end up with the same front thus losing my cars originality.  :P Especially when it cost a shit load to produce. would be lucky to get my money back. Each to their own.

Hi all,

A bit of an update.

#1 Have spent all yesterday and part of today working on the undercarriage in preperation for the final reaseal, picked up 4lt's of Plasti-Dip Sat morning having waited 2 weeks for it to get down from QLD, at the moment I'm dressing up the floor pan and getting all the seams ready for the Urethane sealant, after it's set for a day or so, the Plasti-dip gets sprayed on, problem is Im going a bit overboard with the preperations, hopefully will have it all done by next weekend or the one after as Im in Adelaide on business Thursday and Friday this week.

#2 I managed to nab a set of R31 calipers and mounts off Ebay for $66.00 and a set or Hilux Surf S12W calipers today for $110.00 (Sorry to anyone who may have been bidding on them also from the forum) and as my company does Automotive Procurement and we have an account with excellent discounts through a major Auto Parts group, I spoke to DBA direct on Friday and looks like I can source Peugoet 604 Vented Rotors which are the closest in dimension to the original "Z's" and R31's for the rear.

If any one on the forum is after the same, PM me, I should have the pricing by Tuesday per set which I will post here.

Pics to follow tomorrow in this thread of the car in progress.

Cheers

John

Thanks Mick,

But a long way to go, so I take it we are on for Tassie 2011 ?

here are some pic's of the undercarriage work, all remaining OEM seam sealing now removed, pan totally wire brushed back, final fill work being done before re-seam sealing and final application of Plasti-Dip.

Cheers

John.

post-1356-144023539083_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mick,

But a long way to go, so I take it we are on for Tassie 2011 ?

here are some pic's of the undercarriage work, all remaining OEM seam sealing now removed, pan totally wire brushed back, final fill work being done before re-seam sealing and final application of Plasti-Dip.

Cheers

John.

yep i sure hope its on the road by then but if not i can bring the 260z

• 3 weeks later...

Well,

Just in case there are any doubting Susans out there, Fraser delivered the upper G-Nose section to my workplace today, (see pic) and look like we may come to an agreement for the eventual nose I build myslef to be reproduced by ALFA.

Also, I am going to try and produce leses for the finished item which may also become available, watch this space over the coming months, yep sorry, need to get the guards backl on the car to start the nose build first.

Cheers

John

post-1356-144023541384_thumb.jpg