I got my Tokico Illuminas today.

gav240z

• Administrators

I got my set of Tokico's today i'll let everyone know how they go when I put them in.

I'm hoping it will make a huge difference at the moment the car feels rubbish with the worn out ones in it.

:twisted:

• Administrators

Yeah they only set me back $300 AUD because a guy in QLD bought them for his Z however he's selling his Z now and decided to try make some money back on the parts he put on.

Apparently they were only on the car a year or so. It was also apparently a club registered car so it didn't see too much work.

I was happy with that since I was gonna buy them from the states for $700 AUD with shipping or there abouts. www.xshocks.com has them and I believe its $90 to ship to Australia.

They have 5 levels of firmness adjustment. I'll try get some pics soon.

Does anyone have the dust covers for shock absorbers on a Z? I need 4 of them for my 240z.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I think I found some boots for a good price I'll post the information with regard to cost, where I got it how long it took to get them etc, when i sort it all out.

For now I've included a picture of the shocks I think the ones with the metal spacer on the bottom are for the rear but im not 100% sure yet.

I'll also let everyone know what happens when I've installed them and how much of a difference they make etc..

I just haven't had time to scratch my head lately let alone install them :( .

85_.jpg

• Administrators

Yeah cheers mate that's exactly what im after. I had to look under 240k but i assume it would be the same. I couldn't see a price listing could you?

I'll give them a call soon I've been busy with this being the final week of Uni and will be straight onto the Z after exams :D .

• Administrators

Yeah thats correct Sulio someone else mentioned that option.

You can get them in the states fairly cheaply but the shipping through the automated store was expensive i might be able to call and get a better quote on shipping since they are light and I can wait a week or so.

Just been real busy with uni :roll: work.

• 3 months later...

Last Saturday I called into Repco fo a set of bumpstops for the Front Struts that I'm rebuilding.

They had a Munroe Protection Kit PN PK004, complete with Bumpstops which has the bellows that you where after.

Kit Price was $80.96, which was actually cheaper than one quote I had been given for Bumpstops alone.

I've just fitted them over the strut tube and they are an excellent fit, how long they last is another matter, although they give a 2 year warrenty.

Mike

• Administrators

Hey Mike,

I ended up ordering mine from the states for $120 AUD to my door. Which was better than the $50 ea. Pedders quoted me. I haven't yet installed the shockers hopefully this week. I've had some trouble getting a hold of Costa but he said he'll help me this week.

I actually had some bump stops in there already but no protective boot. I'll let you know how it pans out. Good to see you have found another option I think someone on classiczcars told me about the Monroe ones but i already had ordered mine.

FWIW the boots I got from the states came with cable ties lol :roll: .

Cable ties can be regarded as "New" Technology!

Bugger...forgot to put the steel clips in. TG for Cable Ties.....

Just put the 1st strut together and all appears fine, now for the wheel bearing, brakes and the final fit.....

Hey Gav,

Not wanting to state the bleeding obvious..

But, why do you need the bellows or boots?

I have had Koni's for several years without boots and they have been fine, there is a seal around the piston that protects it from debris and dust etc.. so i can't see how it could be compromised?

Nigel

• Administrators

Hi Nigel,

I guess your right I didn't really think about it that way. I've got them now anyhow and at least they have the bump stop integrated with it. The old ones were in ok condition but they were starting to crack and peel so I guess it was about time. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hey guys you can see my progress with the suspension in my the photo gallery just click on latest uploads.

I also took some shots of the car with my new digital camera just to see the quality. I've dropped the quality though obviously for uploading the images to the site.

I orginally wanted to take photos and create a tutorial or how-to for strut replacement but due to time constraints and wanting to get the car ready by Friday I've had to drop that idea.

Oh well next time. :D

• 2 months later...

Just a note on the bellows..

There are 2 schools of thought on these, well 3 actualy, if you include the why have them option.

1. Use bellows without tieing the base or bottom part of bellow to the strut.

2. Tie to the strut.

and of course

3. No bellow.

After considerable thought, I used option 1. Mainly because I could see little compression/expansion of the bellows in general use, therefore they actually became a floating dust cap. Also, if a split or tear develops, the bottom part won't become a cup that contains dirt, water etc. Any foreighn material accumulated will just fall down around the strut and to the ground.

If tied, and not using the OEM part, they may be a little to rigid, with corresponding wear issues which could lead to the issues listed above.

Even with the OEM tied to the strut, the risk of foreign material floating around the cup after a split/tear is possible.

I would like to hear other people's opinions on this, I doubt there is a definitive answer, but who knows?

MOM

• Administrators

Hi guys,

The Tokico's have made such a huge difference compared to the worn out Koni reds that were in there.

The car handles alot better but is a very harsh ride on the street even on the setting of 2 out of 5. I've driven a car with Koni yellows but can't really compare because it's been so long.

The springs I'm using are unknown in terms of rating since they were on the car since the PO. They are slightly lower king springs and if you ask me they are fairly firm I would guess 200lbs + but have nothing to back it up.

The biggest help has been since installing Recaro's before the ride was alot harder on myself and the passenger the seats have improved things dramatically.

The let down now for me is the Tyres on the car. If I push the car hard enough it wants to stick but the tyres start to let go.

Considering it cost me a total of ~$400 I'm very happy. :D

*Seats not included

• 2 years later...