ranting about anything car related so Lurch doesnt lock it out :o)

RBZ 260

Its funny how someone introduces them selves or someone ask what oil should they use and quickly goes of topic about Dato VS anything under the sun. since we all like to do that till Lurch gets his trigger happy finger and tells us off.

So let make a post thats about anything realy that we can rant about. (hopefully keeps the admin happy)

so to start off

the other day i got into a discussion with one of the so called managers at work which is a hardcore GMH fan. owns a Red SS VE and think its the fastest best thing on the planet.

I love most cars and brands besides i have a grudge against some Toyotas and Holden cars for various experience reasons.

when it comes to local vs local im the Blue oval corner. I do agree both Ford and GMH are same  but to stir things up i take the Ford as GMH is local in SA and they think its the best thing that rolled on 4 wheels.

anyway i wore my old OZEmail sponsered FORD Shirt and the GM boy above commented about it and made it sound like "well I guess they need support may as well be me" like im lower life form.

turn around and asked what so good about GMH compared to FORD they both crap but since they banned the brand and car that i was going for in racing cause it was destroying the competition. i chose ford cause GMH seem to fall apart lot more after few years.

anyway few more words have exhanged but i ignored his comments as he didnt know what he was on about and didnt feel like wasting any more time.

all i felt like saying ok smart AR$E bring you big 6L V8 VE SS vs my 2L 32yo jap crap and lets see who wins the pink slip.

wont be the first or last ss that sniffed my BP 98ultimate behind me.

moral of the story how many try hards like above u came accros?or any other story vs anything. 

ie should a MAZDA wankel or a Toyota 1jz 2jz reside in a DATO. seems to be popular stir me up.

SNAP CRACKLE POP!!!

God damn the government and their vehicle tax crap just to save the Australian vehicle industry. The amount of technology and engineering that goes into over seas cars totally tramples over what an Australian produced car gives.

You know what i say. "Let them burn". If they are struggling now even with a safety net then there's no use in letting them live.

Start comparing prices. If Australia didn't have such an excessive tax on import vehicles we'd be looking at pretty dirt cheap BMWs and Mercedes and luxury cars worth buying in comparison to the price now for the top of the range Holden or Ford.

Big Top Gear fan. It's like what Jeremy Clarkson suggested. Which would you prefer? a M3 or a Holden? I'd go with the M3. Technology advanced to triumph over what little a Holden (an engine + gearbox + super simplicity but we'll charge a shitload [apple scheme]) is.

• Moderators

A place over the road from my workplace keep giving me cr4p about the zed whenever I take it to work. They seem to be Holden/Ford fans; manager drives some XR performance taxi that is some foul orange colour. When I did have my healthy L28 in my zed I would've loved to give him a run on the dragstrip or circuit to shut him up. One thing that bothers me about 90% of Commodore drivers is they all think they have something special; something unique compared to the 5 million others out there...reality is they don't! When do you think they will accept that? The day a 39 year old 240Z puts them to shame...

I prefer holden any day of the week, My mate got a ford XR6 top of the range thing all leather etc etc. He couldnt believe the way the inside was put together, console all wobbly, things didnt shut properly. Had another guy take his "boss" thing back 12 times, guards didnt align, had a major oil burn problem. The new VE craps all over the new FG, The FG looks like a 18YO pimped it up while the VE has European class written all over it. As far as V8supercar racing goes there basically the same in performance with different badges.

"The day a 39 year old 240Z puts them to shame..."

LoL Dimitri.

The funny thing is, they'll use one of 5 million reasons to why they lost as well. Even if you beat them 3 times straight.

Ford vs holden.

owned and worked on both. both are bad as each other. Holden has dodgy plastic that is very weak and cracks very easily after 5 years its so brittle u dont want to touch any interior part.

ford better plastic but engineering is bit on the funny side.

ie try taking off or getting to distributor on the ea el models.

BA-FG try removing the thermostat housing from the head without taking out the fuel rail. and try taking the fuel rail without removing the manifold. a joke.

Holden just as bad. whats with the damn steering wheel and that damn vibration when pushed. from VB to VE they still do it.

biggest problem for holden is the materials they use is crap. Had lot of commonwhores and lot of falcons and reasons why they suck is so huge i can write a book 3 times thickness of the yellow pages.

your mates xr6 with those troubles must be a lemon i got one 2003 and had a 2005 xr6 and none of the issues u described are apperent.

though my biggest concern with new fords will be rust. nothing is sealed or protected properly.

they got good and bad but face it they not BMW or MERC dont expect falcons to have gaps like 5 series BMW or Holden to be smooth as Merc. they been put together by thrown out obselete parts bin from parent company.lot of parts reused (ie remelted to make new plastics)

worked on lot of cars and find the jap cars have been put and designed quite clever besides few models and some us with big monkey arms have issues getting to some locations.

yeah i found that new v8 commodore drivers are same ones that used to be the WRX drivers in the mid 90s just with even bigger egos. thinking they gods on the road my big 6L V8

ahh the feeling when u go past them is so nice  8) and again when u see their head look the other way when u stop at the next set of lights.  ;D

funny you say that RB260 as his parents do drive around in mercs so that what he was probably comparing it to. One thing that gives me the shits is why we have to pay through our noses for our own cars, i mean i dont think either car is worth over 35K but for some reason idiots pay it. I think we should be paying 25K for our "own" cars.

God damn the government and their vehicle tax crap just to save the Australian vehicle industry. The amount of technology and engineering that goes into over seas cars totally tramples over what an Australian produced car gives.

You know what i say. "Let them burn". If they are struggling now even with a safety net then there's no use in letting them live.

Start comparing prices. If Australia didn't have such an excessive tax on import vehicles we'd be looking at pretty dirt cheap BMWs and Mercedes and luxury cars worth buying in comparison to the price now for the top of the range Holden or Ford.

My take is that any country with a succesful production industry has a succesful automotive industry so if you let them fail, you lose 10,000 jobs directly and 100,000 jobs indirectly.

I would prefer to increase import tax and/or reduce tax for all companies (automotive and not) that have factories in australia. This would make our "own" cars cheaper as they have to pay less tax and have a larger share of the market. Why the governments collect so much tax on companies which provide jobs to its citzens is beyond me, only to pay half of it back in bailouts. Just reduce it from the start so you dont have to pay the bailouts and encourage other comapnies to invest.

Sounds like fun to bash them until all local production disappears and nothing is made here...all the aftermarket and trades are a spin off from OEM, if the skill disappears at the higher level, it is not going to continue on the lower level.

If more people bought australian cars for example, there would be more money to develop better cars and a wider variety of cars. I ams ure all the Holden and Ford fans would like to see them put out a new model every 3-4 years instead of every 10 years like current, but when it costs $1billion to develop a new platform and you only have 2000 sales every month it's impossible. Everyone wants the local makers to go "green" but I guarantee when the hybrid camry is on sale next year only 1% of the people who crapped on about not buying anything locally made because of the environment and protesting saying they would buy one on the spot if it was available will put their money where their mouth is and actually buy one. I agree that the current quality is pale in comparison to a BMW, Lexus, Audi etc, but you must realise we live in a globalised world with design and parts sourcing happening simultaneously all around the world and if you think your imported Mazda6 is any better "quality" than a locally produced Aurion then your still trapped in a world listening to what your dad told you 20 years ago. These days big companies have standarised work practices that are designed to be duplicated exactly regardless of location, even McDonalds has been doing that before I was born

I say if your going to buy a boring daily commuter like a Sonata, 6, Lancer, maxima etc, you might as well buy Australian.

I have worked in Japan for an automotive giant for 1.5 years and I think people need to stop worshipping them. The only reason they have such a variety of interesting cars is that the population is encouraged (financially forced) to buy new cars every 5 years to keep them roadworthy which pumps billions into the local automotive economy. Very smart on the governments behalf to keep a small country with no natural resources as owner to the number one car selling company in the world.  The other difference is that they are patriotic enough to buy music, tv shows, movies, fashion, cars and all other goods made in their own country without the fantasy beleif that imported is always better.

How's that for a rant Johnny? ;)

Ok from a non Ozzie - Australian Ford or Australian Holden (GM) = still a taxi not matter which side you of the fence you are on.

Now if we are talking Ford vs GM then that is a different ball game as a lot of different countries and marques come into play. But if looking at just the GOD DAMN land then I would be Ford for a few reasons (which I might keep to my self or not)

For the FORD are cars like pre 70 Mustangs, T-Birds, Coupes, Shelby Mustangs. Then the US and UK + Others working together to create cars like the GT-40, AC Cobra's and Cobra Daytona's

For GM.....I do find it hard...50's vettes, and the original split window vette, the first stingray....the 350 V8 engine and the aftermarkets support for these....and that is about it from me.

So that is my take on it - if it is Ozzie = good company car or taxi so who in the right mind would pay over $100K for a taxi? I just don't get it yes they might be a special model and the like but come on I would not sink all my hard earned $$ into a (when new) HSV GTS-R aka a 2 door taxi with a few HSV bits and a large Chev engine.

Purchase something with racing heritage/history yes, a off the shelf car produced in large numbers (ie over a few 1000) with no history for over $100K no.

Now NZ has no local car manufacturing anymore and I can say when this went away along with the import tariffs Euro cars are still no cheaper and in fact we have limited selection with only the base models here and usually at might higher prices after you work out the $$, Taxes and shipping cost would be better to import your self but then you have other red tape and issues if a new car and a model not sold in NZ or AU ie does it conform to the safety standards etc. So in part it is good to have a local car manufacturing industry as there will be a larger number of smaller business that also support these, exhaust shops, brakes (just look at PBR and were they have come from and what the have purchased and invented over the years..good on you Ozzies for that one 8))

When the car manufacturing was shut down here in NZ (no NZ brands just Toyota, Mazda, Ford, Nissan etc assembly plants) lots of supporting industries went away or off shore ie seat makers, glass manufactures, exhaust manufactures and warehouses, tyre companies cut production and I think there is now only one left. So if you can keep them you should as it will put a lot of people out of work = on the dole = you will pay for it with more taxes etc maybe you get a better car that is imported (ie not the Ozzie Friday Afro special that come out of Ford and Holden, and the other locally assembled cars, from time to time when the boy's just want to get to the pub)

God damn crazy kids accross the road. Come around the corner sideways into a court in their fully sick SS Commonwhores, watch out for the kids on bikes. Lucky my daughter is under 2 and not playing out the front. Taking off early to go to work doing a burn out as they take off, scaring me half to death as I'm asleep for those last 5 minutes before getting up myself. Did I mention they are on P plates and aren't supposed to be driving high powered vehicles, so they are un-insured. One day the fully sick SS Crummydore got delivered on the back of a flat top truck. Seems that when you have wide tyres, too much power and your a twat the car won't handle so well when overtaking on a wet road. The car has now been written off. But being un-insured, has now turned into an eyesore due to selling it off as parts to recover some money.

The end result is that there is still a bogan mentallity that makes people believe that if they are driving a taxi that isn't yellow and it has a V8, it must be the best car in the world. And they are awsome drivers like Col Trickle, who became a champion racing driver by watching Daytona on TV. More like the General Lee.

Funny thing is that they wouldn't give my Z a second look and it would leave them for dead on a twisty rd.

• Moderators

I think all Holdens/Fords are Friday arvo cars made every day of the week! I've worked in a large factory before that supplied to all major automotive manufacturers in Australia, and I can tell you, if those same type people are working at Ford or GMH, no wonder the cars are all falling appart or poorly assembled. That's why I admire the Japanese... they take pride in what they make; the quality shows.

hahaha...Cole Trickle ....all these kids think they are the $h1t because they beat their friends on Gran Turismo

Its probably a good thing the haven't noticed your zed; last thing we need are Dunnydore hoons in zeds!!

Another rant.

in 2007 cars sold in australia were in excess of 1 000 000. If local companies think they can sell cars like they sold in 2007, they are dreaming. Thats like 1 out of 22 people you see on the street bought a new car that year!

My god and they have high hopes on the fact that they can survive.

Its great to be a patriot and buy Australian. But we have to also consider other countries aspects to how they manufacture products. Japan has passion and thus creating a quality car. Their goal is to spend $1 to produce $10 and they are quite spot on. I don't even think Holden or Ford could even match that and would be quite certain to say they would be spending $9 to get $1.

Would you settle for less income? I doubt it, and that reflects any organisations profit margin (- ongoing cost). Hate to say it but its our way of life that does affect some organisations. Automotive being one.

Would you settle for a job in a manufacturing line? Knowing true well, you may be more educated and worthy of working somewhere else and getting paid more. HELL heres another shitty point. Would you settle for a job in a manufacturing line when the DOLL pays you nearly as much?

love the rants. many good points.

LUVEMFAST time to move somewhere better. if i had ratbags like that their commonwhores would be long gone.  >:( or ill be in lock up.

my next door old fart pisses me off for spying over the fence while im working on the car.

rants rants time to go home and do some work on OZ greatest car............ NOT but hey we need taxis dont we?

• Moderators

If there are any Family Guy fans here we could call it "You know what really grinds my gears?"...Just a thought while I'm on the PC thinking about how to blow more cash on things I don't really need...

LUVEMFAST time to move somewhere better

Nothing wrong with where I live, they are renting and the landlord is moving back in soon.

Sayonara plebatron.

Also,

Whats with all these mad people on the roads? They hop in their cars, and its like a switch. All of a sudden, they don't give a sh1t about anyone else on the roads. Come one, let that guy on the sidestreet in. You do not have a magic force field around you and I CAN SEE YOU IN YOUR CAR PICKING YOUR NOSE AND EATING IT!!!!!! eeeeewwwwwww

;D ;D ;D lol havent laughed this much in the morning for long time.

thanks guys for making my day.

luvemfast well good that ratbags are leaving.

oh BP vs vortex comment was gold. havent i heard that one before. just here is o i used shell V-power and its $hit didnt use BP ultimate bro. i just reply " o well u wont make that mistake again.  :P see u next time when u do dont think it will make any differance". not two car + lenghts.

yeah peopl enot leting in is annoying the unwriten rule is should let one person in than one car through and another person in.

but ive seen tossbags stop 2km line up to let 15 cars from the shoping center carpark right infront of intersection light crossing main road that stays open for 30sec at a time.

sorry to say this but in OZ 40% of people shouldnt be on the road. ive seen drivers that a petrified while driving. knuckles are white and their eyes about to pop out of their heads. they dont look to the sides its a slow driving accident waiting to happen at any time.

o how about this one i had this morning.

driving on a 2 laned main road there is turn left with care. im in left lane while the green is ahead and cars are going through. this dimwit of a middle aged female slamms the brakes well before the turn off to see if there is any incoming traffic.WHAT THA?

HELLOU its green no cars will be comming plus the turn off is another 100m ahead.

i hope her ear drums are hurting now from me droping the clutch and spraying her with rubber and dust and very loud exhaust.  :P

sorry to say this but in OZ 40% of people shouldnt be on the road. ive seen drivers that a petrified while driving. knuckles are white and their eyes about to pop out of their heads. they dont look to the sides its a slow driving accident waiting to happen at any time.

Yep.  110% agreement.  One thought I often have when driving on a freeway is that I'd love to seriously reinforce the chassis of some 4wd (maybe a Landbruiser), and SERIOUSLY upgrade the brakes.  The purpose of this?  So that I can slam the brakes on full hard while some dimwitted twit is sitting 2 feet behind me at 90 km/h in the middle lane, which would then write his car off completely while mine is completely unmarked (these dickheads sit so close their foot wouldn't even get to the brake pedal even if their brains had the function to comprehend this thought).

Hello, I'm in the middle lane because the left lane is chockers with people merging (or attempting to merge and being blocked out by the nose to tail crawlers), I've got cars doing 90km/h in front of me, and yes, I know there is a couple of car lengths of space between me and the car in front, that's for a reason I'd show you if I didn't care about how the back of my car looks.  I'd like to be doing 100km/h too, but its not possible, just look in front of you (maybe a distance further than the car in front of you?), then calm the f*&% down.  To quote Top Gear... Cocks.

Come to think of it, on the subject of letting cars in - there is one place I used to drive where I WOULD NOT let people merge from the right hand lane, and that is Elgar Rd where it meets Riversdale road.  The reason?  To keep going on Elgar rd, you need to be in the left lane, and then you get into a turning lane to keep going down Elgar towards Burwood hwy, the two lanes of Elgar coming down the hill from Box hill actually both feed into riversdale.  So of course, the left lane banks up a couple hundred meters, because people can't get into the turning lane whille the lights are red there, and about half the traffic doesn't want to go onto Riversdale.  So while 80% of people are doing the right thing, and being patient, you'll constantly see in the mirror some asshole pulls out of the line 100 meters behind you, comes screaming past in the right lane, then forces his way across the left lane into the turning lane, one after another.  If they stopped to think, they'd realise that half the reason the traffic banks up so much there is because they're doing that.  Nothing better than watching them come flying up, seeing an old Range Rover there, and they think its moving slow and they'll just jam their way in front of that.  WRONG.  Just as they arrive at 100km/h in a 70 zone, the gap in front of it suddenly disappears completely, so they slam the brakes on, and slow down (but still conserve their speed so they can jam in behind).  Oh look, that Rangie is suddenly going really slowly....  Left a fair few of these dimwits stuck halfway across these two lanes being tooted from all directions  :P

• Moderators

Its funny isn't it...they zig zag passing everyone on the left and nail it each chance they get to only end up a couple of car lengths ahead..

About 60% of the car driving public need a lesson on merging....the "drivers Hanbook" should have a whole chapter dedicated to that just one topic. Another killer on the road is the paranoid driver that uses the brake pedal like its glued to their foot.A leaf blows across the road, wham! slam the brakes! Or the brake operated indicator.....I can write up a whole frikken list of all this crap!

I started to write a reply but I've got to head off shortly so I'm condensing it to two simple points

Jackasses on roundabouts - where I live is generally seen as one of the 'old people' suburbs of Brisbane and there is a particular roundabout where I have to see a near miss somewhere around 33-50% of the time I'm near it. Its funny though that the assumption would be it'd be the old folks or the young turds being the jerks most of the time but 95% of the time it seems to be the same type - middle age business women in merc/similar 4WDs (+2000% likelyhood of being a jackass if they have a horse float behind them).

Indicate first, brake. Indicate first, brake. Indicate first, brake. Indicate first, brake. Indicate first, brake. JESUS H CHRIST. Not so bad for me as I'm not known to hang 2mm off the ass of the car in front but oh the amount of times I've been delayed by seeing it happen a few cars in front and just waiting for them to move to the side and sort crap out.

Mate I lived in Melbourne for 2 year and all I can say is Oz drivers are better than the idiots we have on the road over here.

If getting your licence cost (for example) $3000 & took a FULL weekend to complete at a dedicated driver training facility & was made increadably strict, I would be in full favour of it.

In doing so, it would remove all those incompetent dickheads from the roads - and Women.