WTB: datsun fairlady 2000 sr311

OZ001

• Administrators

does anyone know where i can find one?? any condition preferably not restored because i want to do it myself :) ive searched everywhere for rolling shells but websites havent been updated since 2008!!!!!

I'm trying to get www.vintagejdm.com up and running to cover all sorts of classic Japanese cars but to be honest right now there isn't much activity on the site. Its hard work keeping 1 website up to date :).

I would try carsales.com.au for now, saw 1 or 2 on there. Its a rare bird now the old Roadster.

That car in Sydney is a 1600 low screen that has had an H20 (Urvan) engine transplant

Sports 2000's (power by the U20 engine) go for $7-$10k for a "good starting point" to $15 to $20k for a good clean example.

Restoration is very costly as panels are near impossible to find (it took me 3 years to find a bonnet and guards and $2500) ........U20 parts are expensive and getting scarce (eg- water pumps over $400, timing gear $400+). When rebuilt correctly they are a hoot to drive with 100+ rwkw from a stock U20engine. Common engine transplants are H20 Urvan engines (similar block to U20) but lack the power

I know of a couple for sale so PM me if you are interested, I also know of a rolling shell for sale and can put you onto the Australian Roadster Guru who knows all there is to know about them

cheers

Alan

post-301-144023515196_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

there was one on ebay for $1300 but i cant find it so it must have ended.

I want one of these also but i need a bigger shed first ::)

Thread idea!!! The Datsun's I'd own if I had the space.

Join the Datsun Sports Owners Australia club (or get a copy of their newsletter).

http://www.datsun.org.au/

There were a few SP311's (the 1600 version) advertised in the current newsletter, all under $5000 but needing restoration / work.

I bought two complete fairladies for $3600 off eBay late last year, the recent $1300 one was removed from eBay before the listing ended (sold elsewhere ?)

And as mentioned above, the U20-equipped version is harder to find and will fetch considerably more than the R16 / G15 engined ones.

• 2 years later...

hi, sorry to bring up a old topic but...

Are sr311's worth the same now?

Ive found a 1970 sr311(last year of production) that needs restoring.

A few parts are missing including the block but it does have the u20 head which "should" go on a h20 block(urvan) to complete the engine.

I'm unsure about buying this.. but have always liked the 2000's look.

I know, I'll have a look in the other datsun forums mentioned.

thoughts?

GRAB IT

Getting hard to find almost good ones now.

What price he asking. For a late sr311 anything gets asked, ie lately from 12 to 25 k

I have a very incomplete 1967 that is supposed?? to eventually get a conversion done, most items avail including all parts for convo, and brake upgrades. I just have too much otjer stuff on tje go! Depending on what a buyer would want to take away /leave behind, from 7 to 11 k

Not necessarily, but having an SR20 in a ladder frame chassis with wishbone suspension and front discs (but only if you get a 1600/2000) is a pretty brave move.

:)

You wouldn't be the first to do it though. An atmo one from an S13 would do the trick nicely, but there are a few mods to be done to make things like the gearbox fit.

Thats exakerly what i'm intending.

Sr20det, water/air intercooler, s14 vvt motor, high mount stock s14 intake plenum, hi mount aftermarket exh manifold.

As its body on chassis, no issue with sectioning the firewall for exhaust clearance.

The chassis runs a cruciform centre, this needs cutting out, and re boxing to fit tje s14 5 speed, gearstick comes up through stock hole.

Diff is to be replaced with a common BW 78 from a R31 wagon, cut down, it retains stock rear disc with mech handbrake, more than adequate, when combined with a 284 mm diam front vented rotor, and four piston calipets that attach to stock mounts.

The double wishbone front end is plenty strong, no issue, Nissan over engineered it.

Rear ends in the later 2000's ran an upper torsion/anti axle wind up rod on rh side, a duplicate is done for lh side.

A few have been done in usa, their greatest isdue is the left hand drive setup fitting in with the brake masters, clutch master, and plumbing for turbo assy and exhaust, very busy.

Ive dummied up a s14 sr20 det into it, just need cutting and fabricating done.

Intention is to run stock steel wheels with original 2000 hubcaps, no bonnet scoops or outward signs of conversion, save for slightly larger exh pipe on exit.

Should be interesting.

Sounds like a nice project jason. I javed been thinking about these with a turbo sr20 for a few years. The misses has dropped the occasional line that she would like a car and I reckon one of these would be good for her, should be easy to work on.

I bought a Fairlady 5 speed a year or so back for $300, thought that was cheap but then again I wouldn't have paid much more as its easy enough to adapt an L-series 5 speed to the U20. A purist may disagree on the use of the L-series box, but my car is going to be modified anyway as its missing other critical aprts that mean a concourse, dead original restoration is too hard / expensive.

U20 head, might get a bit for it ? Depends if you can find a buyer.  It won't fit on a H20 bottom end (well, it will physically, but there is much more needed to get it working - a U20 crank for instance) so it is a limitied market. U20 crank is longer than H20, and has different number of flywheel boltholes.

Stainless steel repro bumpers can be had from Harrington http://www.groupharrington.com/en/part/37/datsun-fairlady-roadster-bumpers.html.