260z with 1UZFE & Some minor bodywork!

Hey guys, thought I might post some pics of my Z and some of the work I have been doing on it lately, enjoy :-)!!!

The engine crossmember has been modified so it no longer looks like this, but this is pretty much where the engine will sit in the engine bay!

1UZEngine3640x480.jpg

1UZEngine2640x480.jpg

Nice home made rotisserie, made from 900kg engine stands, works great!!!

04122008409640x480.jpg

Some of that, um, minor bodywork...............

04012009474640x480.jpg

08012009494640x480.jpg

08012009498640x480-1.jpg

11012009529640x480.jpg

The new chassis rails and modified crossmember to suit RX7 S5 Lower Control Arms, the crossmember is just a prototype, but the plan was to make the engine easy to mount and the idea evolved into a one-piece LCA and TC Rod and was put onto a fellow in the states who installed a VH45 who appeared to have the same engine mounting issues as me, so I borrow his idea :-)!!!

01022009689640x480.jpg

01022009699640x480.jpg

Installed in the car!

08022009749640x480.jpg

09022009755640x480.jpg

08022009738640x480.jpg

16022009777640x480.jpg

& of course the best part, the bonnet, this I made earlier and is a touch wacky!!!

01032009818640x480.jpg

Different...

That's some serious fabrication going on too...

yep he has through en a few ideas around before today too ie could a MX5 Double A-Arm setup be made to work in the S30z chassis etc. In the end this working progress RXZ front suspension is under development ;)

certainly not shy about doing things, looking good and not even painted, are you going to make the wings fold or are you going to keep it at the airport

Hehehehehe, that made me laugh :-)!!!

Yes, I learn't how to weld and have been going nuts ever since!!!

looks great, have you seen this done before or are the one of first?

I haven't seen any of this stuff first hand, but lots of folks on Hybridz's have done this sort of thing, plus a fellow from Sweden (I think) who did a lot of this sort of stuff, if you guys have a spare moment, wonder over to Youtube and check out "240z Project Hugo" about 24 parts, now that is some serious fabrication!!!

yep he has through en a few ideas around before today too ie could a MX5 Double A-Arm setup be made to work in the S30z chassis etc. In the end this working progress RXZ front suspension is under development 

Think pretty much sorted now, just have to work out the Power Steering side of things - RX7 stuff should be good though!

realy nice fab work.

are you going to end up using RX7 hubs and struts?

ive done something similar but not too that extreem. i used S4 RX7 lower ball joints (they are 2 piece in S4 unlike the S5 one piece lower controll arm with ball joint integrated)

i modifed slightly my factory S30 260z lower controll arms so the ball joint can be bolted up.

than i used the  RX7 hubs and struts with Z top cap and custom spring. coilovers shouldnt be a problem.

keep up with good work cant wait to see the update.

realy nice fab work.

are you going to end up using RX7 hubs and struts?

ive done something similar but not too that extreem. i used S4 RX7 lower ball joints (they are 2 piece in S4 unlike the S5 one piece lower controll arm with ball joint integrated)

i modifed slightly my factory S30 260z lower controll arms so the ball joint can be bolted up.

than i used the  RX7 hubs and struts with Z top cap and custom spring. coilovers shouldnt be a problem.

keep up with good work cant wait to see the update.

Yes, going to use the hubs from the RX7!

I came across a fellow on Cardomain (450z) who did a similar thing to you, but in reverse I guess :-) - he used the RX7 lower control arms and modified the S4 tie-rod ends to suit the Z strut,

My conversion, like his (I assume), was done because of the engine mounting issue - I didn't want to just slap a 2nd crossmember in there :-)! So had to find a solid LCA/TC Rod so I could create a K-frame type crossmember and it has gone from there, I was originally going to try and re-use the Z struts but gave up on that idea, seems like there is little point because lots more goodies available for the RX7 :-)!!!

I am going to use some K1 adjustable struts, they have threaded collars and have adjustable threaded tubes, so you can move the entire strut up or down without effecting the spring/insert height,

http://www.ksportusa.com/asp/coilovers_detail.asp?product_id=cd02

The dampers and springs will not be even close to suitable for anything other than drifting on a Japense race track, so I will use 8641 Koni's and Eibach springs,

I should be able to retain the stock Z rubber insulators and avoid camber plates - these struts have camber adjustment on the strut anyways!

Don't know about the brakes - the stock ones are a touch small, well in comparision to what I was planning on running - 324mm - but there is lot's of big brake kits avialable for the RX7 strut - I will have to wait and see, all depends on what I end up doing with the rears

So - How did you install climate control :-)?

i did mine for pretty much similar reasons but i wanted 4spot brakes and 5 stud wheel conversion. so mazda fit the bill.

other than that stock mazda strut has small diameter bottom spring seat which helps clearance for wider wheels.

due to engineering reasons and cost i retained my stock subframe.slightly modded to accomodate subi power steer rack and some lower arms adjustment bolts.

the mods of the lower control arm was minimal and within guidelines (in SA) to avoid getting an engineering company to do the work.plus in case of a misshap i can source the parts quite easily. pretty much just a bolt up job.

also like u said aftermarket support for rx7 for suspension and brakes is huge. so an even better upgrade is just around the corner.

as for climate controll. Bit of a pain in the rear end. not hard but takes lot of time to setup.it does work and does have one or two limitations. but for basic operation works like a treat. currently one of my stepper motors is playing up needs replacing so i can get my demistere option working with press of a button.

Only if the fan had enough power to blow bit harder and stock Z vents designed properly would be even better...... lol

as for climate controll. Bit of a pain in the rear end. not hard but takes lot of time to setup.it does work and does have one or two limitations. but for basic operation works like a treat. currently one of my stepper motors is playing up needs replacing so i can get my demistere option working with press of a button.

Only if the fan had enough power to blow bit harder and stock Z vents designed properly would be even better...... lol

Fan from a late 80's Honda Civic bolts straight in and is quite the improvement apparently!

Thanks Chris - It is slowly getting there, after I figure out the radiator support panel and re-make the crossmember I will get started on the body, yay bog :-)!!!

• 1 year later...