Sign in to follow this  
mossy

big brake upgrade

Yeah I think you are right Dimitri. Those style brakes look similar to mine. I think they are equivilent to VY Commodore brakes these days. Should tdo the job on a slightly hot Zed. But not really good enough for my car on the track. Hence I will, as usual re do another job and take the brakes to another level after I sort out a few other issues first.

Having said all that they have worked fine on the road for my car for the last 8 years or so.

I did something sim to the Hopper Stopper kit on my last 240z. The common VT rotor and caliper trick worked well on a high performance road car for sure. Did not given them a go on the track as I sold the car before I put the car back on the track with these installed.

Craig, I think the Porsche setup I had on my zed would be perfect for you... they were overkill for my zed but for yours would be great. They fit well within the 17's I had (about 5-10ishmm clearance caliper-rim). Get in contact with Chris Wood; he can make the hats for the Brembo discs and caliper brackets for the radial mounted Porsche 928S2 calipers ($430 each now from $750!!)

I would encourage anyone who does not have the engineering expertise not to experiment with brakes. Buy and fit a proven kit, it's easier for roadworthiness inspections and insurance claims.

Buy a local kit or even the ArizonaZ front kit which is $789US... that's $852AUS right now. You will need the 260 front hubs and a 15/16" or bigger master cylinder but you will need that with any bigger brake setup. As I understand it (please check) they will fit under 15" rims.

Please, please, please... don't start on about dust seals. Use 'search' to review the countless arguments about them - Wilwoods are legal in Australia.

You just started it.... :)  In A.C.T sometimes it even depends on who is inspecting it whether it gets passed (in regards to dust seals), but with the engineers cert and everything done properly, it shouldn't matter.