big brake upgrade

mossy

I'll be doing my brakes over the next week or two, so I should be able to give you a better estimate on how much it will end up costing. Parts wise it should be under $400; Labour (some things will have to be done externally by friends so depends what they want) I'm hoping isn't too much.

As for clearance with the Watanabes, I can give you a rough measurement from hub face to caliper so you can check; or even bring a wheel to check. Will update when I know more. Another thing that I won't add into the price, I'll be recoing the calipers just to make sure they are 100%. Don't want to find out by accident soemthing isn't right with them as they are from a wrecker.

I'll be looking forward to this with keen interest!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That makes two of us, deffinitely keen to see the write up for R33 brakes. From what i understand over here in SA, you have to have an ADR approved braking system, i was told that this means basically getting brakes from another car because they are fully approved and tested. The wilwoods dont come out on a production car, i think, so arent fully tested or ADR approved. This is important because i will be going through Regency to get it all legal. I havent spoken to an engineer about the Wilwoods, just Transport Services over here.

the r33 calipers would be nice but I'm now not sure they will work with my watanabes.

What size are your watanabes?

You shouldn't have issues I wouldn't think.  You just need to find a disc with the right diameter and offset to suit.

• Moderators

I found an old pic from a previous 260 zed I had with the same brakes I'll be putting on my 240. This is with the 286mm DBA106B disc and R33 caliper with 260Z hubs (they are needed for this mod).

post-801-144023518565_thumb.jpg

Dust seals are needed for the reliability of the brakes.

I run Wilwood 4 spot calipers in the front of my Z and need to strip and clean the calipers every time I run in the wet to make sure that any gunk that get into pistons is cleaned out so there is no chance of getting into the caliper bore and scratching. Once that happens then you may not be stopping as the fuid can get out without pushing the piston along. Not fun when pulling up at turn 2 at Eastern Creek.

you do realise that there is still a main seal in the bore that seals the caliper piston to the body ?....this seal prvents fluid escaping at high pressure, so its bound to stop dust getting in under no pressure....

you do realise that there is still a main seal in the bore that seals the caliper piston to the body ?....this seal prvents fluid escaping at high pressure, so its bound to stop dust getting in under no pressure....

Not in my Willwoods, it's basically the pistons and that's it, From memory just some rubber o rings as they are a pure racing caliper not really suitable for road use at all unless you want to pull them down every coupleof weeks. As I said I pull them down after every wet meeting. I also pull them down when I change pads to make sure all is OK. For what you pay for them they are quite disaapointing when you look at the quality of the castinbg and general finish.

• Moderators

So the DBA106B is the Ford hub based rotor with the following specs?

287mm x 24mm with 58mm hat?

Mike, the specs I have are similar to yours but with a 75mm hat. Being blank, it doesn't come with the hub. Just have to bore it out and drill the pattern for the 260Z hub. Finding out soon about availability...if your looking into this same conversion, start looking for discs now!

Thanks for that - I already have my brake setup under control (I think) I have 294mm x 24mm for the front these are two piece setup ie with alloy hat. The rotor is a common Sub/Mits sizing so easy to get. The rear I will be running will be 284mm x 20mm with an internal drum for the hand/park brake. Caliper on the front will be Porsche Boxster Monobloc which are designed for a 298mm x 24mm rotor so should be perfect.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Just a little update on this brake thingy, ended up going for discs from PBR, with the part number PBR103 which is a Ford Fairlane rear disc with almost identical dimensions to the DBA106 disc (might even be the same disc!) and is drilled for the Ford stud pattern. I was hoping to get it blank but oh well. Also, I didn't get my calipers recoed in time for this weekend so looks like it will have to wait till next weekend to start the mods and take pictures for show and tell. Stay tuned!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Just a quick update, brakes have been done but I have yet to pick them up! What I'll be doing this weekend is picking them up, bring them back home and dismantle them to paint the struts. In my haste I had to give the struts to him in primer as I ran out of time to paint before I had to deliver them. I'll take a heap of pics and give details about all the components to help anyone who wants to do this conversion. Also, (for anyone in Melbourne) he offers to do the work for you, provided you chase up all the parts like discs, calipers, new pads and seals and whatever else is needed ie worn if you remove your struts and give them to him for about $250-300. You can do a drive in-drive out but will cost a bit more reason being its a little more difficult to do. Calipers avg about $200-220, discs are about $70 a pair and seals $28 and pads about $40-50. Depends what quality you are after.. if you can get it cheaper...well done!

• Moderators

Machining work that has to be done is turning up on a lathe some ally "slugs" that have to be pressed into the mounting tabs of the calipers after you remove the threaded inserts, and be a real tight fit, machining the i.d of the discs to match the 260Z hub (which have to be used and NOT the 240Z hub) re-drill the disc to match the hub PCD (not to be confused with the wheel PCD of 114.3) and machining of the hub face where the disc is bolted to (I'll take a pic to make it crystal clear) approx 5mm. When all that is done, mount the disc to the hub, install it on the stub axle on the strut, fit caliper and mark the exact position on the caliper and drill holes into the caliper for mounting bolts. That can be seen on the above pics of my earlier post.

• 2 weeks later...

;)

Found this neat little table, its part way down the page.  I found it when I was looking at a cheap upgrade to the S15.

Front disc brakes

I wonder if you could substitute some other Nissan brake calipers for the R33 GTST ones.

Found out from the guys I get my brake pads from that Subaru use the same Sumitomo calliper with Subaru stamped on it instead of Nissan.  I guess that would explain why the rotors I used for my conversion are designed for a Subaru  ;D

Just a question, has anyone looked at getting big brake upgrade from hoppers stoppers?

Sometime last year I got a quote from them for $1200 with a brand new set of calipers (i think theyre from a commodore) and disc brakes plus pads. these are ADR approved and completely legal for our cars.

Do you think its worth it?

• 4 months later...

Just a question, has anyone looked at getting big brake upgrade from hoppers stoppers?

Sometime last year I got a quote from them for $1200 with a brand new set of calipers (i think theyre from a commodore) and disc brakes plus pads. these are ADR approved and completely legal for our cars.

Do you think its worth it?

here's the link:

http://www.bluevista.net.au/PDF/240Z/Website%20240Z%20Pt%205%20Upgrading%20the%20brakes%20Pt2.pdf

Look great, but I reckon he should have gone to 16" rim rather than butcher the caliper to fit his 15's.  Hate to see what would happen f he had to have a balancing weight put on that rim.