big brake upgrade

mossy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to go with the Z32 front caliper and 280mm vented rotor and get Robco to make up a caliper adaptor. I did buy S15 cast iron calipers but they weigh 4.8kg compared to 3.3 for the alloy Z32 ones

a wise move though as the Z32 alloy ones flex a lot :( this is why even Nissan replaced the alloy ones with the iron units on the last of the Z32's

a wise move though as the Z32 alloy ones flex a lot :( this is why even Nissan replaced the alloy ones with the iron units on the last of the Z32's

Yeah I've read about the flex but i don't think I'll be tracking my Z. I didn't think there would be as much flex with these on the z due to the 240 probably being about 500kg lighter than the z32, I don't know much about brakes though so I might be wrong.

From searching the net the z32 r32 and s15 calipers are pretty much the same so i should be able to swap back to s15 calipers if i don't like the z32's, just don't like the idea of an extra 1.3kg in extra weight of the cast iron ones.

Try skylines australia or the 300zx club forums, there's usually heaps for sale.

After researching a bit more the r33 gtst calipers might be an option, the calipers are the same weight as the z32 and from searching the net they don't seem to flex. The rotors are 296x30mm and the hat height is similar to the 240, 52 for the z and 53.7 for the skyline, I'm not too sure if you need the same hat height on a conversion though maybe someone else can shed some light?

Try skylines australia or the 300zx club forums, there's usually heaps for sale.

After researching a bit more the r33 gtst calipers might be an option, the calipers are the same weight as the z32 and from searching the net they don't seem to flex. The rotors are 296x30mm and the hat height is similar to the 240, 52 for the z and 53.7 for the skyline, I'm not too sure if you need the same hat height on a conversion though maybe someone else can shed some light?

I've got a set of R33 calipers on the way.  Apparently they're not too much different to the R32 ones but will take a slightly wider rotor.  I plan to go for something along the lines of a 340x30mm rotor.  I'll let you know how I go.

Make sure you do a Tutourial on the install, Mossy ;)

Wiil do, Rob is away this week so i'll talk to him when he gets back. Looks like there are a few others going the R33 route also, we definetly need to see more conversions!

• 1 month later...

Have you considered this gear ?

http://www.arizonazcar.com/brake.html

Front set is US$789, which on todays conversion rate is around AU$1080....everythings there, everything fits & No mucking around. You even get the option of BIGGER Rotors and 6 POT Calipers for that little extra bit of performance and bling.....

well worth it.....i bought the AZC gear for my Z car when the dollar was at 97cents...

I agree Woza that site seems to offer the best brake set up available with all the trimmings at the right price. Would handle most track work and look great to. I would go down this road if I wasn't after something slightly bigger for my car.

• Moderators

I'm actually down grading my brakes from 330mm to around 280ishmm. Using R33 4 pots and S15 discs. Found the 330mm brakes are just too big for a zed; unless you have 1.21Gigawatts of power and you need to pull up all those horses. I can take step by step pics to show how its done if anyone else is interested. All up cost should be around the $400 mark (fingers crossed! just bought the calipers for $200).

$400 for r33's with s15 discs sounds pretty awesome!?! or is that just for the custom bits and peices?

I'm very tempted to get arizona z car bits (just the 4 pot's and smaller discs), but i'm still worried about the wilwood legality thing, i guess i should hurry up and call someone who can give out eng certs to c if they care.

As pointless as it is, i prefer the physical 'look' of the corvette pbr 6 piston calipers (which def pass adr's, but use an internal drum handbrake which i assume is a pain to get made up?) over any of the wilwoods, so i guess that, and the fact my car wont need brakes for a year or so are whats putting me off

Have you considered this gear ?

http://www.arizonazcar.com/brake.html

Front set is US$789, which on todays conversion rate is around AU$1080....everythings there, everything fits & No mucking around. You even get the option of BIGGER Rotors and 6 POT Calipers for that little extra bit of performance and bling.....

well worth it.....i bought the AZC gear for my Z car when the dollar was at 97cents...

i thought about that option when the dollar was good also but I think i decided against it because they didn't have any dust seals, the r33 calipers would be nice but I'm now not sure they will work with my watanabes.

• Moderators

I'll be doing my brakes over the next week or two, so I should be able to give you a better estimate on how much it will end up costing. Parts wise it should be under $400; Labour (some things will have to be done externally by friends so depends what they want) I'm hoping isn't too much.

As for clearance with the Watanabes, I can give you a rough measurement from hub face to caliper so you can check; or even bring a wheel to check. Will update when I know more. Another thing that I won't add into the price, I'll be recoing the calipers just to make sure they are 100%. Don't want to find out by accident soemthing isn't right with them as they are from a wrecker.

yeah dude if you can get away with $400 for that upgrade then youve done real well.

Hey Guys, seriously....whats with all the concern about dust seals ?.......is there some written law in your state that specifies that you MUST have dust seals ?, or are you worried about maintenance etc ? be interesting to hear some points of view.

I know over here in WA, modifications are strictly monitored, and I have several mates who have had no problems getting their Wilwoods passed, without even a mention of dust seals.....LOL...it will just be my luck that Ill fail my engineering check due to lack of dust seals  (touch wood !!)

It physically pains me to say how much I paid for the brakes and wheels but I'm happy and that's the important thing. Note: the suspension is still to be powdercoated.

picture070.jpg

picture068m.jpg

Woza's bracket fitted but rear main caliper still to be mounted

picture083m.jpg

picture066o.jpg

Peter....

Time to develop some 'selective memory' and forget how much you paid.....point is, its all done, and youve got excellent gear now, and at the end of the day (if youre anything like me), have probably saved money by getting the good stuff first time around, instead of buying something that you are never really happy with, only to can the idea and get what you wanted anyway ! haha

By the way, Nice handbrake setup...wher'd you get that ?  ;)

.......is there some written law in your state that specifies that you MUST have dust seal

I was under the impression it was written in an ADR? but maybe its just become like the rumour you can only go up 2"s in rim diameter size - which isn't ever written anywhere

I'd just hate to have all the nice brake stuff on there then have it be the reason my car wont pass an eng cert

Dust seals are needed for the reliability of the brakes.

I run Wilwood 4 spot calipers in the front of my Z and need to strip and clean the calipers every time I run in the wet to make sure that any gunk that get into pistons is cleaned out so there is no chance of getting into the caliper bore and scratching. Once that happens then you may not be stopping as the fuid can get out without pushing the piston along. Not fun when pulling up at turn 2 at Eastern Creek.