Hi all, new to town

Hi all. Name's Scott, and I'll be heading off this saturday to purchase my first Z car  ;D  260z. hope to hang around, maybe meet up with some of the other z owners in canberra region, or around further out. Have been rolling through piles and piles of helpful info here, so joining up felt like a good move. 

First 260 i saw pulled up next to me at the lights, and i couldnt stop staring, so have been hunting for one ever since :)

also, quick question.  the car has been sitting in a shed for ages ( bout 5 years).  It gets the occasional trip around ( one day rego) but not alot.  It has new oil and spark plugs, but I will be driving it back home, which is about an 8 hour drive.  Anything i should keep in mind, or prepare/do before the long haul?

couple of pics,

260_1.jpg

other.jpg

cheers  :)

Scott

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, this is the one from Bendigo, yea? I was checkin out on Ebay (along with other members i'm sure) Looks very clean... a good purchase for sure.

Check all you hoses for the cooling system and take some extra water just in case, the hot weather is on the way.

• Moderators

Welcome! and you got yourself what looks like a great buy there! If you don't mind me asking, how much did it go for? When I last saw it price was $7200..Looks like you dont need to do a thing to it!

for a long drive, just check vital fluids, top em up and keep an eye on the gauges! Also keep some basic tools handy (murphy's laws). Post some more pis when you can!

Great buy, I watched this one go through. $9k was the eBay price, looks like there was another guy stepping it up and he got done in the last seconds.

For a 2 seater in that codition I would have put it well over $10k

Drove mine from Albury to Brisbane without any problem and it was driven very infrequently too. I would just keep an eye on water and oil and make sure the gauges work. Check all fuilds (break, clutch too)

Congrats on the buy! 

Good luck with the trip back but do be aware of what CAN happen.  I had a 260Z 2+2 I had been driving around Canberra for a few months with no problems.  Drove it to Brisbane, delightful trip.  Drove it back to Canberra - HELL ON EARTH.  :(

Basically the radiator fins disintegrated from old age and the stress of the trip.  Had to nurse it through northern NSW on a hot afternoon and it took an additional 5 hours.  By the time evening cooled off it was fine again and I cruised the rest of the way to Canberra.  At the end of the trip the universals on the drive shaft had disintegrated as well.

Mike

yea, as said, check your usuals.

may also pay to take advantage of the fact you'll be using 3 or so tanks of fuel, and run a fuel system cleaner through it, help remove any varnish and buildup while you drive.

I would also suggest changing the fuel filter before you set off, if practical.

When was the last time it was done?

you can check your coolant with the PH test strips, i have heaps here in my toolbox (welcome to come grab a few if you want) If its not up to scratch, a quick change before setting off is a good idea.

Carrying extra coolant/water is a VERY good idea. Id be looking at 4L minimum, 10L is probably ideal.

take it easy, resist the urge to stretch its legs too much, thats when it'll break on you.

once you have it home, safe and sound, and you have done a very thorough checkover, then you can start really enjoying it.

oh, and remember, stop revive and survive! Its good for the car too  :)

:D wow, what a greeting  :) yeah, it's the ebay one, and yeah, to earlier question, picked it up for 9,000.  stumbled across it on the 3rd last day, had to jump in!  I had a max bit on it of 11,000 which i would of gladly paid for it.  the dash needs a bit of care, but i'm very ok with that. 

must resist the urge to turn it up on  the way home  :P nice and slow. will have a basic tool kit with me, and it looks like i'll be loading up on coolant.  The owner tells me that it has new oil and filter, run an eye over it anyway.  Can't wait to get there... been counting the minutes till i head off, driving me crazy!

once I get it home, it'll be a man-car bonding session involving wax, cleaners, polish, oils, coolants, give it a good do over, then start jumping all the hoops to get it registered. 

another Scott with a silver one huh. I beleive i know of him.  I have a friend in the skylinesAUS club who knows him.  i was going to go around and say hi, but aparently the car is in for a re-spray, so had to wait.

• Administrators

Bring a spare distributor, I drove to Goulburn from Melbourne without a hitch. Left it it sit overnight and the electronic distributor must have retained some moisture or something as the module on the side of it stopped working, meaning no spark.

So take an extra working distributor is my advice.

Hey mate nice car... nice colour!

Probably a good idea to check the brake lines/hoses/calipers for leaks and take an extra bottle of (god-knows-what) DOT 3/4 brake fluid with you.

It will be in the high 30's when you get it. Wagga is all 40's for the next week and our '72 mini is just 'loving' it  :) So like someone else said take plenty of coolant. Hoses etc deteriorating over the years of storahe will probably be your biggest worry- my z was stored similarly and I'm now about to start replacing all the brake line components.

yeah, a thought did come up RE. hoses and lines.  say a hose does decide that it's had enough of all this car nonsense and pops, what are my options? quick fixes? should i do some shopping before i leave for parts?  I intend to replace most of those wearable parts soon, but for now, whats my best bet?

Hey razz, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your zed.  Try downloading FastStone photo resizer it does it for you in seconds! (I think it's freeware) The photo's look good but you'll have to 'over time' look at treating and protecting some of the undercarriage, this is where the Zed's tend to get cancer.

Rev.