WTB: 260z Dash South East Queensland

garvice

Ok guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a 76 260z 2+2 with the 30+ year cracked dash.

I was going to get dashboard restorations to rebuild my dash, but last time I spoke with them (Sep 08) they informed me that they no longer wanted to do the s30 dashes. Apparently it is too much work for them. (They still like having photos of them on the front page of their website though).

So, I am putting my feelers out asking if anyone has a very good condition 260z dash.

My dash is the later model dash, Like this one

S30-1.jpg

Glovebox switch on glovebox door, squarish center console not trapezium.

If anyone has a good condition one lying around, let me know.

If you have a bad one lying around, I might also be interested (I don't really want to send my dash to sydney or melbourne to get re-skinned and not have it come back).

Cheers guys

Brad

Thanks for the reply.

I contacted Paul today. He doesn't have any in good condition but does have a couple that I could buy one of and send to Vic or NSW to get rebuilt. Might take him up on that.

I also contacted Dashboard Restorations again, and they are now willing again (Little reluctant) to rebuild the dash. Only real problem is that their lead time is 5-6 weeks (I just got my car back on the road in late dec after 18 months).

Brad

• Administrators

I spoke to Dashboard Restorations not too long ago. They said they were no longer doing 240z / 260z dashes. If the reason is that its too time consuming, simply charge the required amount to make it profitable for the business.

I asked them to jump on the forum because people were asking questions about dashboard restoration. It seems that there would be at least 10-20 Auszcar members who would use their service.

Anyone else find it strange?

Perhaps if enough people send emails to them about it, they will revoke their decision.

http://www.dashboardrestorations.com.au/

Thanks for the reply.

I contacted Paul today. He doesn't have any in good condition but does have a couple that I could buy one of and send to Vic or NSW to get rebuilt. Might take him up on that.

I also contacted Dashboard Restorations again, and they are now willing again (Little reluctant) to rebuild the dash. Only real problem is that their lead time is 5-6 weeks (I just got my car back on the road in late dec after 18 months).

Brad

Brad,

What did they quote . Maybe we could do a group DEAL. It looks like i had better get mine done quick.

Cheers

Guys, They are doing them again.

Going to cost $730 and 5-6 weeks though. Just got to find the time to get my dash to them. Also got to get over the fact that I won't be able to drive the Z for 5-6 weeks.

are you a member of the z car club in qld garvice? you could put the word around and see if anyone has an old cracked dash lying around, send it off the get fixed while u keep driving your car and then take your dash out and give it back to whoever u got it from. i would be more than happy to help but all my spare parts are in gladstone central qld. ill email a few guys and see if i can find anything

About 5 years ago I had my dash reskinned in Victoria by Dashboard restorations, provided that I dismantled the dash out of the car and delivered it to them, this I did and I was very happy with the final result but on the 260Z however the original vinyl dashboard finish is an orange peel finish my new dash polyurethane vinyl finish is more like my S15 a much smoother finish.

Warning while everything is out, fix your heater and attend to the clock that is not working, color tag all the wiring you unconnect as you have to put it all back together again even take digital photos and don't forget to remove the 260Z badge above the glove box and the side dash vents and all the guages and any loose clips put them in a small container so you don't lose them, the most difficult thing for me was getting the speedo cable back in and the trip meter cable secured in the speedo and getting the screw into the plastic rev counter binnacle. Lynton

• Administrators

About 5 years ago I had my dash reskinned in Victoria by Dashboard restorations, provided that I dismantled the dash out of the car and delivered it to them, this I did and I was very happy with the final result but on the 260Z however the original vinyl dashboard finish is an orange peel finish my new dash polyurethane vinyl finish is more like my S15 a much smoother finish.

Warning while everything is out, fix your heater and attend to the clock that is not working, color tag all the wiring you unconnect as you have to put it all back together again even take digital photos and don't forget to remove the 260Z badge above the glove box and the side dash vents and all the guages and any loose clips put them in a small container so you don't lose them, the most difficult thing for me was getting the speedo cable back in and the trip meter cable secured in the speedo and getting the screw into the plastic rev counter binnacle. Lynton

Sound advice that heater tap is prone to leaks and getting that speedo cable back in is a pita. I know cause mine snapped at one point.

Might want to replace all the bulbs in the dash too. I think the 260z heater panel is easier to remove than the 240z one.

Have fun!

I knew Dashboard restoartions would come around once they noticed demand :). - Too much work pfft what's that all about.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have recently had the dash out whilst putting in a new computer, so am aware of the pitfalls. My dash wiring is already in good order, tidied it up whilst I had it out.

Also Dashboard Restorations DON'T want me to dismantle my dash. They want it out of the car but all the gauges still in. So if I borrow someone else's dash I will need to borrow all the gauges too.

Also don't want to do it myself. I like the look of the original vinyl.

Sushi, does the vinyl that the Qld Dashboard restorations use the same as the standard 260z dash? IE as was mentioned the orange peel type.

Been meaning to join the Qld Z car club, just haven't got around to it.

Sushi, does the vinyl that the Qld Dashboard restorations use the same as the standard 260z dash? IE as was mentioned the orange peel type.

I'm sure Sushi will answer as well, but I am pretty sure none of them have the original finish. Would be interesting to ask them why though. Might be something to do with the compounds they use.

i dont think it is the original finish but it looks good. I would only be worried about an original finish if you are doing a concourse restoration. That said I haven't seen the recovered dash in years.... its hiding in my dads shed so I'm only going by memory.

My 240z had its dash restored down in Melbourne somewhere and its more orange peely and more glossy. It actually gets a pretty intense reflection from it into the windscreen. So is the orange peel look meant to be original? I have seen an original, unmolstered 70z and it didn't seem to be anywhere near as glossy/orange peely as my 240z. Once again only going by memory though...

Well I dropped my dash off today. Michael was a lot more positive then the lady I first talked to. He said that he should be able to have it knocked over in about 2 weeks. Which is a lot better than the 5-6 weeks I was originally quoted. I am also getting my centre console lid done at the same time. I will post pictures once done.

Brad,

Should have said this earlier but welcome to AUSZCAR!

Are you a member of the QLD Z Car club? They are a great bunch of blokes.

Us Brisbane members of this forum organise the occasional get together or drive, throw a couple posts up on the QLD section of the forums and we'll keep you posted with our activities.  :)

Hope to see you round,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...