Sign in to follow this  
NZeder

NZeder 260z RB26 powered, triple DCOE throttle bodied NA project

Mike .... the car looks freaking awsome ... can't wait to see it completed and in the sun.

Well done mate.... the 13+ years looks like its been well worth the wait

No pics this time but here an update.

Had the parents and bro over for dinner - Dad was at the shop in the weekend helping (great now that make me look bad - Dad at the shop working on my car while I was at home playing with the kids and getting firewood in) anyway they painted the inside of the car - Bro tells me the next items get the work are the door jams, hatch area and the engine bay ie the bit you see more often. Then after that is the outside. So 50% of the body painted now with all the detailed/seen areas now on the agenda.

I got my rear brake backing plates on Saturday from the CNC guy - there are few minor changes required so once these are done I will post pics of the setup. But basically I did not give him a set of pads and the radial caliper mounting he made go straight but the pad hands down about 5mm lower than the caliper so the mount needs to have ears as such so the caliper will mount up with the pads installed. Not a big deal it is removing stuff not adding it back on :)

Anyway the setup will be this.

Mitsubishi Evo IV rear rotors = 284mmx20mm (these have a 90mm centre bore so I have some locating rings made that match my RS Watanabes, the rotors 90mm and the stock stub axle 68mm these are pressed onto the stub axles)

These rotors have a 168mm internal drum and I am using the PBR Mitsubishi Manga Banksia Single Shoe for the drum with GM actuators. All this hybrid stuff so the drum can fit in behind the stub axles. There is one down side to change the shoes the stub axles has to be removed - however these shoes should last a long time as it is only for the park brake.

Anyway this setup is complex and I would not do it again so this will be a one off. If I had gone for a larger rear rotor setup then  a different shoe setup could be used = stub axles can stay in to replace the shoes etc however I wanted to run a rotor that could fit behind a 15" rim if required.

great stuff!

love the colour choice as well.

The well considered choices in the details set it apart from your standard projects!

Ok some pics from lunch time today :) as other asked about the colour last time - I took some of the same shots with and without the flash so you can see the difference. As I have decided not to put sound proofing back on the tin work the lower half was painted with texture coat before hand also to help with some of the noise. I will have custom carpets made that will have sound proofing attached to this that way if I ever want to make it a race car I don't have to remove stuff again - just take out the carpet :)

thumbs_inside-topcoat1.jpg thumbs_inside-topcoat2.jpg thumbs_inside-topcoat3.jpg thumbs_inside-topcoat4.jpg thumbs_inside-topcoat5.jpg

Yes but not a lot what do you need? Don't say a RB26 head as sold that :( or RB30 bottom end - gone too.

I spotted on our auction site tonight - trademe another set of the Fujistubo RB stainless steel headers for a buy now of $350 so I took it - so I now have 3 sets of these headers that cost $2000ish new imported from Japan :) love spares

So are you wanting to sell a set

I could do - I might be coming to Melbourne in late Sept or early October so I might be able to bring a set with me :)

So long time no post - things have been busy of late so I have not been over to the shop to see how the car has been going = no pressure from me to get it done. But I put the hard word on again this week and here is the results - I am told next week it will be complete and I can bring it home after that :)

thumbs_enginebay-before-topcoat1.jpg thumbs_enginebay-before-topcoat2.jpg thumbs_enginebay-before-topcoat3.jpg

And the next day :)

thumbs_enginebay-topcoat1.jpg thumbs_enginebay-topcoat2.jpg thumbs_enginebay-topcoat3.jpg thumbs_enginebay-topcoat4.jpg thumbs_enginebay-topcoat5.jpg

Pic #3 is more how it looks in the flesh - the lights in the panelshop and the flash change the colour somewhat and #3 is more how it looks for real :)

Mmm, looks a lot like Hawthorne green the same base colour as mine. Wouldn't have a clue what the paint code is though, just know the name.

The dark green does look good on the Zeds, but then I'm biased  ;D

Mmm, looks a lot like Hawthorne green the same base colour as mine. Wouldn't have a clue what the paint code is though, just know the name.

The dark green does look good on the Zeds, but then I'm biased  ;D

There were about 4 different greens used on the zed's but this is the early dark green aka GP Green and the code is 907 :)

It is done :)

A little rub down and then I will be bringing the "Green Arrow" home next week so it is up to me to get it back together after 13 years as just a shell - hmmm now were did I put that part?

All with the flash on

thumbs_painted-flash-on1.jpg thumbs_painted-flash-on2.jpg thumbs_painted-flash-on3.jpg thumbs_painted-flash-on4.jpg thumbs_painted-flash-on5.jpg thumbs_painted-flash-on6.jpg

And now with the flash off

thumbs_painted-flash-off1.jpg thumbs_painted-flash-off2.jpg thumbs_painted-flash-off3.jpg thumbs_painted-flash-off4.jpg thumbs_painted-flash-off5.jpg thumbs_painted-flash-off6.jpg

Excellent Mike! Now the fun begins! Took me about 3 - 4 months to put a 260 2 seater back together from a rolling shell...mind you had to track down all the glass, fuel tank, engine and radiator....hope you have labeled all the boxes and bags of parts you have stashed somewhere..

Excellent Mike! Now the fun begins! Took me about 3 - 4 months to put a 260 2 seater back together from a rolling shell...mind you had to track down all the glass, fuel tank, engine and radiator....hope you have labeled all the boxes and bags of parts you have stashed somewhere..

yes I do - however some of the bags I have taken out already the writing has faded :( but I should be able to work it out 8)

Looks awesome Mike, congratulations for persevering, you'll have a grin like a cheshire cat the day you first hop back in and take it for a spin!

Rev.

Fantastic Mike! Bout time!!! :D

yes too many distractions over the years, got married, moved to oz, moved back to nz, then there was all the other cars and motorbike to keep my focus off this project (try 20+ different cars and motorbike - some of them listed in my sig)

Oh hot damn!!

As if that paint wasn't hot enough, then he's gunna drop an ITB NA RB26 in it :P :P :P My kebord hs stopd wrkng frm the drool.

Ok update time.

The car is home :D happy days in deed :D 8)

So here is what has happened of late.

1. I had my custom backing plates anodised black (you will see pic farther down)

2. I assembled the rear suspension.

3. Rear suspension was installed so the car could be put back on the ground = it could go on the trailer to come home. The front cross member is a special number my mate put together for his 240z when we collected his from the paint shop - it has a single large caster in the middle = my zed is currently a 3 wheeler :D

For those that, no doubt, will want to know more about my brake and suspension setup here is cut down version.

1. ArizonaZcar coilover conversion - however not using his weld-in camber plates or supplied springs

2. King 8" (200mm) springs

3. Stock 260z tops in the rear (for now as I was not sure about how the ride height would sit - the struts were cut for my 240z as this suspension was going to go into that when I had it and I was keeping my Koni and Lovell setup - which I will now sell)

4. Custom chrome-molly rear LCA

5. Custom backing plates to mount calipers (radial mounted), handbrake actuators (C5/C6 corvette units), and PBR Banksia single 168mm shoe setup from Mitsubishi TE Magna matched to a 284mm x 20mm Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IV rear rotor (hand brake cables yet to be designed but should be simple - all this is one off and I would not do it again too much $$$ for sure)

Anyway pic time

thumbs_rearbrakes1.jpg thumbs_rearbrakes2.jpg thumbs_rearbrakes3.jpg thumbs_rearbrakes4.jpg thumbs_rearbrakes5.jpg thumbs_rearbrakes6.jpg thumbs_rearbrakes7.jpg thumbs_rearbrakes8.jpg thumbs_rearbrakes9.jpg thumbs_rearbrakes10.jpg thumbs_rearbrakes11.jpg

Now the rear suspension coming together and then installed in the car ready for the trip home

thumbs_rearsuspension1.jpg thumbs_rearsuspension2.jpg thumbs_rearsuspension3.jpg thumbs_rearsuspension4.jpg thumbs_rearsuspension5.jpg thumbs_rearsuspension6.jpg thumbs_rearsuspension7.jpg thumbs_rearsuspension8.jpg thumbs_rearsuspension9.jpg thumbs_rearsuspension10.jpg

Love yer work, and have to admit, the first pics of the color didnt do it justice, the sneak shots of the flares really give it a different feel and look, Congrats..........

John

Looking very impressive Mike ... congrats on getting the thing home ... I can only wait for the same outcome for the hornet !!

Keep us all posted.

Cheers

Adam