Sourcing parts for a 280zx dizzy other than Nissan

ol_skl_jp

Just wondering if anyone knew of any place where i can get some parts for a 280zx dizzy. I have tried Nissan, their a bit dear but if worst comes to worst i will have to get it from them.

I need the following parts:

distributor%2079-81zx.gif

6 - magnet

8 - breaker plate

The magnet and breaker plate assembly is all i need the other stuff all seem to be in alright condition.

I will try repco and bursons tomorrow, do i just give them the Nissan part number?

BTW Nissan wanted 130 for the breaker plate and 35 for the magnet, prices aren't that bad but there was a 3 week wait as they had to be ordered from japan.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I also need parts for a 280ZX distributor model D6K9-17. My second hand unit has given up the ghost.

If anyone can help me I require the Vacuum Controller (No 16 in the diagram) and the Breaker Plate Assembly (No 8 in the diagram)

I have tried Nissan, they don't have them in stock but reckon they can get them ex Japan  for $170 for the Breaker Plate and $110 for the Vacuum Controller both plus freight. This seems a bit dear to me.

I am considering a supposed reco distributor from US for $226.00 plus $45 freight but am looking at all options.

If anyone has any advice it will be appreciated.

Regards

Peter

One option that I looked at before I got my electronic dizzy was to convert the points dizzy to electronic using the petronix module. Freom memory the cost was pretty good, about $300 for the whole unit.

Petronix is available from Melbourne and the guys were very helpful over the phone.

Another option, but a lot more expensive is to use a Crane or Mallory module and dizzy.

You can get a Petronix Ignitor kit (to convert a L6 points style dizzy) from US eBay for about $120-$130 landed.

Why people bother with flogged-out 280ZX unit's is beond me...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/pertronix-1761-Ignitor-Datsun-240Z-6-Cylinder_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4ce4fa825fQQitemZ330259137119QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I'm actually ordering some dizzy parts next week. I can get you the breaker plate assembly for a 79-83 280 ZX dizzy for $120 and the Vacuum Advance Unit 79-83 280 ZX Non Turbo for $60. The breaker plate is actually the upgraded one with a metal housing for the ball bearings (these are originally made from plastic and are broken in 90% of dizzy's meaning that the advance won't function correctly). Let me know if you want me to order you some.

Cheers

Shaun

Shaun,

Thanks very much for the reply. Yes I am definitely interested in ordering the parts. I need the Vacuum Advance Unit  and the breaker plate assembly. Though do you know if you can buy just the metal housing for the bearings? As this is all I really require.

I would very much appreciate it if you could let me know how to facilitate payment etc.

Thanks also for your replies Lurch and Scootag,

I did consider the Pertronix conversion kit prior to fitting the 280ZX Distributor. As the old points distributor is worn and also had advance issues (baseplate plate bearings seized?) It seemed to me that the Pertronix Unit wouldn't be the whole solution. The 280ZX distributor was a huge improvement, even though it is clearly "flogged out"as you describe it the car ran a heap better than it did with the old distributor. Now if I can get the 280ZX distributor in a more service state all should be well.

Regards

Peter

Hmmm, i now consider my self to be lucky, i just got a NOS ZX dizzy with module, cap and rotor for the price of €35  :) sorry i had to tell.

Have any of you ever been looking in to Ford EDIS i believe that this is the future for L6 engines.

Chris

Since Chris posted first about his find....well I got a NOS 12-80 280zx electronic dizzy for $50 nzd from trademe. Now for the part you guys will not like. It has since had the advance fixed (ie weld the plate) and the 12-80 module removed (so it is now only a trigger for a MSD type unit with fixed advance) it is on the BRE tribute car here in Auckland.

The fun thing about my deal, was that it was listed at BIN of €49, the seller didn't have a clue of what car it was for, so i took a chance and asked if they would take a offer and got this reply "We wont sell it for less than €35) yeah, why not  ;) i also thought about using it without the module to trigger my Crane unit, but wont, so the Crane will come up for sale soon.

Lot's of EDIS on the net, we dont have pick'n pull here and used auto parts prices are to high compared to other contrys, so i got a set from a US, ebay seller, for US$ 60.

Are you going to run MegaJolt to control it, or another EMS ?

Chris

• 7 years later...

Hey guys,

Reviving a thread from the dead as I couldn't find an answer in search. Primarily I wanted to know if the 280zx distributor cap varied year to year - Mine is a 12-80 (well that's what is stamped on the side). I couldn't find a cap using the Bosch site. But it would appear to be a GH613-C?

I was also keen to know why welding up the vacuum advance is a bad idea if one doesn't care about efficiency. 

Kind Regards,

Mike M