zzzzed

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i also fit up my rear Zg flares

when i went to buy a gun to fit the nutserts i was a bit stunned by the price. I was not going to pay $150 for a tool i may only use once.

Instead i gutted out my $30 pop rivet gun and put a 6 mm bolt through it with a washer at either end and it did exactly the same job.

I still have to buy some rubber gasket to fit between the flare and the body

its getting closer and i have to say i am getting excited ;)

post-1192-144023543769_thumb.jpg

post-1192-144023543774_thumb.jpg

post-1192-144023543779_thumb.jpg

post-1192-144023543783_thumb.jpg

thanx man. that means a lot coming from you ;)

Jesus Mick,

Thats some tin work you are doing there, but dont think your going to beat me just yet, watch for pics I will post in coming week, still going to beat you to Tassie, remember 1st one to get their rig on the spirit of Tassie.

Good work buddy

Cheers

John

hmmm i think you will beat me because i now have to be able to afford some boots to fill out those flares  ;D

Ummmmmmmmmm, well I will have spent close to $3000 on suspension and brakes once they are done and ready to bolt back in, and I havnt even started to think about my boots yet, then theres the motor, interior and remaining mechanical overhaul items paint etc, nah somehow I think it will be a close race.

• Moderators

A 260 I had previously had similar panel damage in the rear quarter like yours! Metal pounded flat then made out of bog. I replaced almost half the panel from a donor zed! You did a great job of repairing it...

With the Nutsert gun, we sell them at my work far cheaper than that! I could've supplied you with the nutserts, tools and stainless screws for the flares...oh well..

A 260 I had previously had similar panel damage in the rear quarter like yours! Metal pounded flat then made out of bog. I replaced almost half the panel from a donor zed! You did a great job of repairing it...

With the Nutsert gun, we sell them at my work far cheaper than that! I could've supplied you with the nutserts, tools and stainless screws for the flares...oh well..

thanx mate

i would have liked to have bought the right tool for the job but i didnt see the point if the $30 rivet  gun did the same job "with a bit of extra effort".

If i knew i was going to use the gun more often i would have bought one  ;)

today i went for a drive and picked up a roof for the 240z

Once i got it home i separated the skin from the frame. I also found enough time to remove the roof from my car, cabriolet any one  ;D

i should be able to finish it tomorrow so ill post more then

post-1192-144023544523_thumb.jpg

post-1192-144023544529_thumb.jpg

post-1192-144023544534_thumb.jpg

I feel guilty!!!

I feel i should be out in the shed working in the 240z. But it is sooooooo hot!!!!!

and i dont think the neighbours would be happy with me angle grinding at night :o

But thats ok i am off to see the hill top hoods tonight any way

• 2 weeks later...

NOTE FOR THE NOVICE...

When welding in new metal  in to a corner section, when it is possible it is best to do a diagonal cut rather than a square cut .

The reason for this is that with a square cut, when the metal shrinks it will pull from two different directions, were as with the diagonal cut it will only pull from one direction making it easier to keep the metal straight

the pics speak for them self

post-1192-144023548352_thumb.jpg

post-1192-144023548357_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

yeh it will be atleast 6 months by the time i get back to work. Unfortunatly i cant do any thing to the zed while i am not getting paid  :(

But with the accident not being my fault i will get subsided by third party in a couple of years so i can catch up on what i have missed out on.