micks turbo 240z project

zzzzed

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i also painted my sway bar. This is a 260z 2+2 sway bar so it is a bit heavier than the standard 240z sway bar.

I also reassembled my rear cradle a little bit just to make it feel like i have been doing something. I never noticed that one trailing arm is up side down I thought this was dodgy until i looked under my 260z and noticed it was the same

post-1192-144023520554_thumb.gif

post-1192-144023520555_thumb.jpg

post-1192-144023520561_thumb.jpg

zedman I do have an extra one of these dizzys but i think i might be greedy and keep it just incase i decide to run the l20et in the 260z down the track

Mick, can you please check if the L28 turbo and L20 turbo distributors are the same?  I figure an L20 turbo one might be a bit easier to get hold of here in Aus.

For anyone interested I called Asquith Auto Wreckers and they didn't have any 2nd hand ones but can get new ones for $500.  A bit more than I want to spend for what I'm going to do with it though.

• Moderators

Shane, Not sure if you know but just in case, the distributor drive for the turbo dizzy's have a spline and the tongue for the drive. The normal dizzy's just have the offset tongue. Excuse the hijack of this thread! Wont be a habbit

Shane, they are both physically the same, however they have different numbers stamped on them.

As far as i know they mechanical they are both the same

I am thinking you are ruining an after market distributor so the electrics shouldn't matter

As Dmitri said the turbo distributors have a different spline on their drive so either the drive or the distributor shaft has to be changed.

my l28et distributor came with a different shaft to make it run in the non turbo l28/ 26/ 24

i am not sure what it came from but the guy i got it from seemed to think that they are hard to get

If you need to know more mby a search on it at hybrid zed might help. They have a complete section on the turbo L series

013-4.jpg

Thanks Mick & Dimitri

I've decided I'm just going to set it up through the standard distributor for now and worry about sequential later if I think it's necessary.  I don't care about drivability or economy for my application so probably not.......

• 3 months later...

yeh mate ;)

I have been working on the engine bay. I have removed all the paint from the bay and now i am fixing all the imperfections. i have removed the battery tray and found a bit of rust underneath, surprise surprise. Also the rad suport is a bit out of shape so ill be doing a bit of work to that.

I am now trying to get a couple of hours a day work done so hopeful i will have a few more updates to show you guys 

cheers

mick

Hmmmmmmmmmm,

So looks like this is a race now considering we are both at the same stage, have to pull my finger out now and start puting in some overtime too....LOL

hey great to hear you are well and the "Zwd's" progressing buddy.

John

I may not catch your Zed in a straight out road race when they are both finished, but I'm going to stay on your tail all the way during our restores Mick, so keep an eye on your rear view mirror.......LOL

By the way, where is Jane these days?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

I thought i would put in an update. Over the last week or two i got a bit more rust work done on my car. First was the battery  tray which i removed to get better access. I figure with the battery tray i might bolt it back in so it is removable.

I also removed some rust from the under dash area

the heater duct was the worst so i cut the whole duct out and made a new one.

check out the pics

post-1192-144023539784_thumb.jpg

post-1192-14402353979_thumb.jpg

post-1192-144023539796_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You are progressing far too fast in your restoration for my liking...

:P

Still, my Z was 100% L28ET powered back in '05, but if it's still off the road when you're finished I'll be a bit upset!

We should catch up sometime.

yeh ben not fast enough for my liking

Sorry i didn't get back to you on your turbo gear i got hit with an unexpected large traffic fine that killed the idea at the time

ill give you a buzz next time im over your way ill come see your progress

• 2 weeks later...

I got some more bodywork done this week The right rear corner was squashed flat and full of bog so i cut it out and welded in a new section

Whoever restored this car last fabricated a new beaver panel but did a rather dodgey job at welding it in, so i  redid this as well.

post-1192-144023543745_thumb.jpg

post-1192-14402354375_thumb.jpg

post-1192-144023543754_thumb.jpg