240Z dump or restore

wirysage

Previously, what like in 1990?  Times change, inflation, cars get rarer, more people are wanting them. It's just the way it is. Supply and demand.  I recently saw a HG Monaro sell for 45 grand, and no its wasn't a genuine V8 just a 6 cyl GTS that has has a V8 transplant. Needed a complete repaint and hadn't turned the engine over in years. I remember when you could buy an XB GT coupe for around $12,000. Now everyone wants $45 grand. You get people thinking "I remember how much they used to sell for 15 years ago, so i'm not gonna pay todays values".  Yeah, years ago you could pick up an old in need of restoration, Datsun or Ford or whatever for $500, but its 2008, not 1988.

That's right and that's a piece of Australina history, a Z isn't to most, why do people, yourself obviously included, think that they have to pay market price. The guy has asked for an offer he hasn't put down a price so why offer him close to your top dollar, it seems that many on here don't know very much about buying but you all know quite alot about price speculation.

It amazes me how so many cry about the prices but when you have the chance to get something for a reasonable price you automatically go to an average market value rather than try your luck.

And yes it is 2008 but we are also at the beginning of bad times financially, he may need the money so would take most any offer, on the flip side the buyer might be ok today but what about tomorrow.

Also with regard to current pricing you may want to take a good look at where pricing is at the moment, many have dropped by close to half since the downturn in particular, but mostly because people are realising the car market was a little over inflated so prices are starting to normalize back to a more realistic level. Many GT HO and Bathurst Monaro owners that bought the $500k+ and $350K+ respectively cars that are now worth around 30% less would now be telling you to be careful and not over estimate potential value.

• Administrators

That's right and that's a piece of Australina history, a Z isn't to most, why do people, yourself obviously included, think that they have to pay market price. The guy has asked for an offer he hasn't put down a price so why offer him close to your top dollar, it seems that many on here don't know very much about buying but you all know quite alot about price speculation.

It amazes me how so many cry about the prices but when you have the chance to get something for a reasonable price you automatically go to an average market value rather than try your luck.

And yes it is 2008 but we are also at the beginning of bad times financially, he may need the money so would take most any offer, on the flip side the buyer might be ok today but what about tomorrow.

Also with regard to current pricing you may want to take a good look at where pricing is at the moment, many have dropped by close to half since the downturn in particular, but mostly because people are realising the car market was a little over inflated so prices are starting to normalize back to a more realistic level. Many GT HO and Bathurst Monaro owners that bought the $500k+ and $350K+ respectively cars that are now worth around 30% less would now be telling you to be careful and not over estimate potential value.

I tend to agree with everything you said there, I've seen alot of people selling their toys with the current economic climate. Unfortunately the 240z - 260z to many is just another Japanese car, regardless of its classic status, it doesn't have the same pull as the early Aussie muscle cars.

The early rotaries have found their niche though and I think that comes down to the fact that cars like the RX3 did relatively well at Bathurst, but the 260z 2+2 made 1 appearance in 1975 from memory and so did the 240k coupe. They were not that successful, I guess Nissan just didn't put much into the Australian market, they seemed to be more focused on the US market at the time.

If you can get a car at a lower price, all the better. If the seller is ignorant that's his fault, at the same time he may just want someone to take it and get rid of it for him. Rather than hang onto it for a few more months waiting for someone to cough up 3-4k for what is obviously a project car.

Regardless the car in question is going to need a few grand thrown into it before it can be even put on the road again. Offer $500 work your way up from there I say. If he wants alot more he can always try his luck on ebay or carsales.com.au or whatever.

man if i could track this car down. without hesitation ill give him 2k.  8) but will try $500 first  :P

that looks like a real good base car.

as for engine swaps if orginal keep it. dont sell any parts from the car. if u like me and like improving things do it in such a way that can be returned to original afterwards.

if the car was mine and original number engine ill just bring it back to original with few period mods.

if u not a carby fan like me the original motor can be efi quite easily. later model 280zx and skyline stuff pretty much bolt on.

just look at the pics in galleries. lot better looking car than a Sillycar  :P sell the celica and invest in the Z u wont be sorry.

LOL  ;D

at above. i love conversions for me they are simple and very cheap and cost effective. but not everyone is the same or can do the job themselves.

i also hate carby fuel setup and love turbos. LOL hence i did my car they way i want it.

some guys spend as much as on their tripples as much as i spend on the whole conversion.but not everyone is the same.

but also respect the originality (sometimes  :P) ie i dont like bog stock but keeping the key aspect original is good. mods are good if u can return it back to original expecialy if the car from start was in good original condition. for a bucket yeah y not change everything LOL

anyway

so what happend to the car did you end up getting it? did anyone else pounce on this?

Man, this thread has come a long way. Did you end up buying mate? If not I'd like to buy it, maybe I can snap it up for $300 or $400!?

Just a side thought on the pricing of early Z cars. I've heard that alot of Aussie muscle car prices went up due to cashed up tradies wanting to buy their dream car from childhood memories which is cool. I've also heard alot of the older Japanese guys buy restored Z's at top dollar that that they could'nt afford when they were younger and Japan was poorer.

So does this mean that today's generation of kids are gonna be paying top dollar for old Skylines, Supra's and RX'7s when most have gone to the tip for scrap!? Maybe the Z will even have a significant place in the market for that demographic!

Cheers,

Sulio

Oh and where can I find that car?

i think you right Sulio,

it seems to have that effect. also ive noticed even younger generations are turning to older jap classics to be different than the norm of imported skylines, silvias, supras, wrx etc.....which knew nothing of the early Z or celicas RX etc....

thankfuly not many young kids but at lest one with bit more brains. the ones that are not into wavey cheap body kits with skiny tyres and dodgy paint jobs.

if u cant afford to do it properly dont do it at all. do the safe mods that actualy look good and not make the car look like it came out of some US movie with extreem mods that look like crap.

back to this car anyone found it yet?

Sulio be good if u get it and give it what it deserves.

im chokers now got no room for any more cars. got to fix and sell few of them. :'(

I agree with this completely Steff... Where is this car? I want it! LOL.

Trap for others looking at an RB conversion?

RB20/25 RB30 is bit taller so prob need to drop the engine bit lower.

u need a oil pik up from z31 fairlady Z 200zr approx $70 new from nissan

sump from the same above car. approx $580 Option2: cut the original one and swap it around reweld.

some ppl use custom or aftermarket mounts. i just used R32 skyline ones slotted the cross member to suit.

if leaving engine and gbox in same position the transmission bracket aligns up. but there is room to go more backwards. than custom tranny mount, tailshaft and some moding to engine brackets.

if not i believe that even the stock tailshaft will fit. but have to check it at worse u prob need tailshaft cause 1. be too long or two too weak.

than wiring etc... if going efi and intercooler piping if turbo. new exhaust at least the front half.

also i belive there are kits from US for RB engine conversion but realy it is not necessary once sump is sorted the rest of it is quite easy.

than fuel pump need to be looked at depending on the engine. ie efi and turbo.

early model 240z the fuel lines are smaller diameter so that may be necessary to borrow from the 260z as they are same as the donor car.

if using wiring from donour car. dont know y people dont do this more often its quite simple. unplug the complete wiring including sensors etc.... from donour car.

everything plugs back in except the 6way main connector. which is same as on the 260z.the pins need to be rearanged or tapped into the Z ignition wiring. pretty much 5 wires and the engine should turn over and run (once fuel, starter and other stuff is connected in engine bay.)

there are plenty of reprogrammers re chipping the RB ecu very cheap.

other than that depending on ur budget etc.. u need to look at stronger diff ie R200 and or LSD,

Brakes prob need a good upgrade. as the stock anchors may cook.

i thin i can drop an RB in over a weekend if i have all the above bits.

things that are optional but safe. ie replace the timing belt and water pump. they not that expensive for piece of mind and lot easier when engine outside

TIP: do not overtighten the belt or u will kill the cam read the service manual.

if engine looks bit shabby have a look at oil pump as well. but this is bit more pricey.

also prob clutch be a good time to replace since most of its appart.

without the intercooler i can drop an RB in over a weekend and have it running if i have all the above bits.(thats if i had time to do it in first place)

• 5 years later...

Well guys I've been to uni, got myself a good job and now I'm going to make him an offer for it at Xmas. I've still got my 82 Celica fully restored it etc and I've got a fully enclosed garage to work on the car. I'm not going to change the engine; will keep it original.

• Administrators

I would buy this in a heartbeat mate I can't believe he still has it.

Just looking at it again, please find out what the chassis no. is. I suspect she's a 1970 240z based on the Hitachi Radio TM-1081ZA (with the antenna switch on the right side see George's Radio here:

) and the arrow tip antenna. I think it's had a replacement hatch at some point, I think it would have probably have had the vents in the rear hatch. If not it could be a car in the 400+ number range and perhaps right after the change over to 71 model year.

The blue interior and white exterior combo is very rare and looks amazing in my opinion. It looks like the Gearknob, Ash-Tray and Console are all in good condition. These along with the radio are all difficult to obtain and expensive now!

This car deserves to be restored to original condition condition and will be worth good money when and if done correctly. Please do let us know how you get on with it.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update; I'm still working on trying to buy it off the old guy. Every year I go to him and say I want to buy it and we're basically down to the point that when he dies his wife will let me buy it haha!

I haven't been able to get close to it since I posted on the forum all those years ago it’s still sitting under the car cover under the carport.

I've still got my 1982 Celica as a daily driver too!

Edited by wirysage

• Moderators

In the early posts there was a talk of it being $4,000 to $5,000. Assming the car has not deteriorated you could easiy double or triple that number in todays market. I wonder if the owner is aware of how prices have moved ?

Edited by PB260Z

Rather than say "I want to buy it", have you tried "how much will it cost for me to be able to move it into my garage?".

Either that, or wiggle cash under their nose. The lure of a keen buyer, a bunch of notes and a clean garage might make the wife get on his back!  :)

Edited by G

• Administrators

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update; I'm still working on trying to buy it off the old guy. Every year I go to him and say I want to buy it and we're basically down to the point that when he dies his wife will let me buy it haha!

I haven't been able to get close to it since I posted on the forum all those years ago it’s still sitting under the car cover under the carport.

I've still got my 1982 Celica as a daily driver too!

Hi mate, it was me who sent you a message on Facebook. Thanks for coming back to us mate, 240z values have been moving along lately. If you can get it sooner than later I would try that. Would be also great if you can determine if it's matching numbers car (check the engine number vs the ID plate in the engine bay to confirm?) However also check the number on the firewall.

HS30 XXXXXX, it would be good to find out what number she is. I'm guessing it's a 71 model. There is a couple of cars around the HS30 009XX range that were white with blue interior. It's not very common at all for our market from what I've seen of the early cars. So could add to it's value. If you do manage to buy it you wouldn't regret it. Especially if you kept it original.

Seller might also be more inclined to sell it if you promise to keep it as original as possible and return her to her former glory.

I'm also curious what number it is because it has the early AU market style fender mirrors. I thought cars after HS30 00500 didn't get those, but could be wrong.

Buy it for 500

Spend 35000 on a full restoration, including mechanicals

Enjoy it, drove it, dye your grey hairs

Sell it for 50000

Winning!

If you dont have the 35000, to restore, let someone who does, buy it

You butcher it, thats one less in the World, and that jst increases the value of the unmolested cars that are left.

My plan is to try and keep it with the original patina for a while. It'll be garaged of course but I think it'd be cool to get it running mechanically well whilst looking like a survivor that hasn't driven since 1989. I can't believe I've been chasing it this long; I found out about this when I was in year 11 high school.

Edited by wirysage

• Administrators

My plan is to try and keep it with the original patina for a while. It'll be garaged of course but I think it'd be cool to get it running mechanically well whilst looking like a survivor that hasn't driven since 1989. I can't believe I've been chasing it this long; I found out about this when I was in year 11 high school.

I had a similar plan, but the best plans don't always go to plan. I am guessing you'll find rust in the floors, sills and possibly frame. Many of these cars rusted a couple of years after being bought new in 1970/71/72/73 etc.. Often patched up quite badly too.

• 1 year later...