S130 Fairlady 280Z 2 seater

luvemfast

Hey mate,

Is that actually the motor that I sold you?? Gee you work fast. If it is that motor, legend has it that it came out of a 'very special' LHD 280z 2 seater imported by a US serviceman at Pine Gap, so it's found it's way to a very appropriate home....

.... and man do I LOVE the look of the motor .... I'm suffering serious carburettor-envy ... I'm going out to my car to stare grumpily at my SU's.

R.

Ummmm, nope. This came down from Brisbane from another member.

Thanks for the carby envy, I love em  ;D

• 3 weeks later...

Got a replacement radiator from ASI in Laverton for $215, thats a good price. Geez I hope it works  ::)

The first pic is of it straight out of the box and sitting behinf rad support panel, sits about 70mm too hight due to side mounts hitting chassis rail. So out with the jigsaw and viola.

Perfect fit.

It needed 10mm spacer washers between the mounts and the rad support panel, which I turned up from brass beforehand. just in case (made a few sizes). Glad I did, as it wouldn't fit otherwise. The inlet and outlet line up perfectly and the core is close to 15mm thicker than factory one (45mm to 60mm,approx). Also had to cut the rad mount around the air holes in rad support panel.

Next I needed to fit the electric fan. The previous setup was a blow through as there isn't enough room between radiator and engine and it worked fine. So I thought I'd just do the same, but since this one is aluminium I needed to protect the soft metal with the mounting screws (allthread). Luckily we have heaps of Festo air line laying around at work and since I only needed about 200mm, found some scrap to use to protect the allthread, well er, radiator.

All hooked up and worked no worries.

Flushed out the cooling system, then topped her up and now she's ready to rock'n roll.

post-396-144023586347_thumb.jpg

post-396-144023586359_thumb.jpg

post-396-144023586368_thumb.jpg

post-396-144023586378_thumb.jpg

Took her out the next day for a test run and it was horrible. Wouldn't idle, ran rough, then ok, then rough again. Wouldn't rev over 5,000rpm and felt like it wasn't driving on all cylinders, thought that I had totally stuffed something up.  :'(

It was only when was playing with the jetting one night. That I removed the covers on the carbies only to find cylinder 5 main jet tube had come undone.  :o I changed the jets over, checked everything was tight and fired her up....... Woo Hoo!! Fixed the problem.

Took her out for a test run and she's sweeeeet.

Just need to change the oil and filter this weekend, play some more with the jets and I'm ready for DECA. I've lined up a trailer to tow it to Shep and back, just in case........

Anyone have any idea on what jets I should start at? I have a selection of jets to choose from.

Triple 40PHH Mikuni carbies

Ø88mm flat top pistons (2mm oversize, which makes it a 2.9L)

0.49 inch lift 74° cam

balanced bottom end

recurved and mechanical advance dizzy, set to 15° advance with timing light

Extractors 6-2-1 to 2.5" exhaust

There is nothing between the spoiler and the car, just fresh air. The aluminium sheetmetal is to force flow through the radiator.

Ok, very well thought out, did you notice any difference with it? Do you know if 240/260's would beifit from this kind of handywork also?

Ok, very well thought out, did you notice any difference with it? Do you know if 240/260's would beifit from this kind of handywork also?

Did make a difference.

I don't know what your spoiler set up looks like. But if its not connected, it should force the air through the radiator rather than flowing around another path.

Path of least resistance, your a plumber aren't you Gareth?

Did make a difference.

I don't know what your spoiler set up looks like. But if its not connected, it should force the air through the radiator rather than flowing around another path.

Path of least resistance, your a plumber aren't you Gareth?

Mine does look similar, looks like I'll be doing that upgrade soon then. Yes plumber but my skills finish with pipes.... and stuff  :P

• 5 months later...

Wow, been soo long since I did an update........

Might be due to having a baby in November  ::)

Anywho, that doesn't mean there has been no work done to ol' faithful.

I have had a package arrive from the states containing lots of goodies, see here

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,8328.0.html

Mmmmmmm Mikuni heaven  8)

So I've been working on the upgrade. Even though the second hand carb's were running, I wanted them to be mickey mouse. So I rebuilt them!

I took my selection of manifolds to the engine workshop day, to get opinions from guys who know much more than me, to select the best one to suit my application. Of course the one chosen was the TWM unit that didn't have linkages! So I've had to make some custom jobbies, that have come up great. Hopefully will have them running VERY soon.

Once again, borrowed Dimitri's air syncrometer to get them balanced. I think I use this more that Dimitri, so I'll buy you a big mac meal for it?  :P (I'll have to give another +karma mate)

I also borrowed a roll center adjuster from Gareth (kind enough to drop it into work  ;)) and I have modelled it up on Solidworks. Obviously Gareth has an S30 and mine is S130, so mods were needed (will also fit 16600/510?). I also changed the design to increase camber from 2° to 3° and also giving 1° castor. However while trying to fit, hit a snag and was unable to get them on. It seems that the ball joint needs more clearance in the later cars, so more machining was required. Hoping to have them on real soon.

Got the Grand prix display coming up and I have an engine that's not running and a front suspension that has been disconnected. All while trying to spend time with the family, sub divided & build a new house (dealing with council and neighbours  >:() and I'm going for a holiday to the Gold Coast.

Hope I get the car ready in time  :-\

Pics to come..........................

The 44's have an angry induction sound  8). Very nice. Yes dead batteries do 'suck balls'  :P

How'd you go with the offset spacers, how much did you have to push the foward to get the required castor? I know I dont have much room with my car as the wheel hits the edge of the lower valance and catches when reversing.

Looking good and sounding awesome Simon!

Dead batteries suck balls ;D ;D ;D

I love the little interlude to show us the linkage nut, suttley showing us your flash new linkages ;D

I noticed you left the vacuum hose to the brake booster off too in take one, two and three. Looks like you may have found it for take four. That would have made it a prick to start as well. Warm her up and get a full throttle sound next time. Have you driven it yet or will they need some tuning.

Hi Simon

Looking good......

If your are only feeding the brake booster off one inlet manifold (and you have a big cam) be carefull you do not run out of brake boost when toodling around at low RPM. As you are not running a balanced manifold you will only have vacuum off the one cylinder, as such multiple stomps on the picks at low RPM may cause you to run out of vacuum assist ................which in turn can cause a sudden stop with an immovable object  ::)

If this is a problem you may need a secondary vacuum tank.

Al.

How'd you go with the offset spacers, how much did you have to push the foward to get the required castor? I know I dont have much room with my car as the wheel hits the edge of the lower valance and catches when reversing.

I moved forwards 10mm and out 30mm, don't know yet about clearance. Still up on stands. I should be fine........... I hope

They should let you do a lap of the track to show it off....

I agree  ;D

Don't think the V8 and F1 bogans would though  ::)

I noticed you left the vacuum hose to the brake booster off too in take one, two and three. Looks like you may have found it for take four.

Warm her up and get a full throttle sound next time. Have you driven it yet or will they need some tuning.

Yeah, got keen and just wanted to get it started, when it didn't I spent more time hooking things up. If I had of opened the starter discs on take 3, it would have run.

Don't worry, there will be a note check  ;)

Looking good......

If your are only feeding the brake booster off one inlet manifold (and you have a big cam) be carefull you do not run out of brake boost

Thanks Al, will keep an eye on the brake vacuum

Yeah true,

Aber ich habe das L26, und sein dort gerade sitzend als lang

Und bald habe ich ein neues Baby

Das Drehkraftmonster AMG

Opp's sorry, seems Im going Bavarian like the car !

• 1 month later...

Just received some new bits last night.

The collection of go fast parts is improving  ;D

These have been imported from the states from JE, custom made to my specs.

http://www.racetep.com/JE.html

They are forged and to suit a P90 head aiming, Ø89mm and aiming for 10.5:1 compression.

Coupled with my forged conrods, should make for a strong bottom end.

post-396-144023618622_thumb.jpg

post-396-144023618627_thumb.jpg

Got out in the garage last night to prepare the car for Winton this weekend.

Grease & oil change and check over the car. You know the drill.

While I was under there. I decided to try and find a solution to my oill temp not working. Low and behold, I found an L28 sump in a box. Which had the thermocouple still in it  ;D

Will be good to know what the oil temp is again.

Oh and while I'm at it.....

Here are my new forged 4340 conrods  8)

FJ20 units, the pistons were made to suit due to the extra 7mm length. We're always after a little bit longer aren't we?

post-396-144023620238_thumb.jpg

post-396-144023620243_thumb.jpg

I've always found at the track, that the power steering fluid gets too hot and "boils" over.

Granted this was with the last motor and radiator which ran much hotter than the current set-up. But I'm not willing to take a chance and find out it still does it at the track.

So last night decided to fit a cooler that I had laying around.

Hopefully this all works well.

post-396-144023620245_thumb.jpg

post-396-14402362025_thumb.jpg