VH45DE swap??

Aaron Neubauer

Has anyone ever pondered a VH45DE swap from the infiniti Q45?  Apparently they're a really top motor (600hp stock bottom end), downside, no manual boxes which means fabrication work.  I have seen that "450Z" on youtube, sounds pretty amazing.  What do you guys think?

I'm currently in the process of a VH41DE (JDM) conversion for a 260z.

It's not impossible, infact quite a few guys in the world are doing this. VH45DE is mainly from the american market, I would suggest you go with the VH41DE JDM and if you really need the 4.5 displace, then you can just get the internals from the VH45DE. They quite literally fit right in there.

Achieving 600HP is quite a feat, stock though, on this engine and takes quite a bit of work, the engine block itself maybe strong enough to handle it, but you'll need stronger internals and some fabrication to let the engine breathe more.

For more information, I would look at vh45de.com, then follow it to the forums. You'll find an abundance of swaps and technical info on the engine, everything you need, even ecu's and wiring guides for the engine. Btw, the wiring is a bitch, you will cry when you see how many wires there are.

Just elaborate a little more, you could achieve over 1500hp easily with this engine, as long as the internals are built for it. However, you will not be able to drop a VH45DE into a car and tune it for instant 600hp. Heh~ otherwise we'd all be laughing to the bank, considering I got a half cut for 1.2k AUS with the engine.

Also, mating a manual to the engine is easy, most do it to a z32 transmission with an adapter plate. Does the job quite nicely and the gearbox can withstand some real punishment.

my late mate was installing a vh45 with z32 turbo 5spd with adaptor plate. gearbox was mounted and was ready for installation in the car but now who knows who will end up doing it  :(

Also member here NATO is installing a vh45DE in his 240z. with lot of work done towards the conversion.

Its not that new conversion it has been done lot of times. but conversions are not that popular on this forum so people dont tend to write much about it.

Robstar how you going with your vh41, got it mounted yet?

be interesting to see how you doing it.im contemplating for the 240z either sr20det or Vh45DETT. depending on the mods required to the car. i cant justify payin 4k plus for rebuild of L series. while for same money can have a high powered import engine.

love it to be a v8 as i got everything else in the other cars. 

Not mounted yet, ;( there is still quite a bit of work to be done on the zed itself before I get to mounting, which will follow with the construction of a sub-frame to mount to the car, this should reduce a fair amount of stress on shell. Marc had the right way to go about it with his build, I wouldn't call it cashing in on his style if you follow his build right down to the millimeter. It works, really well, except mine will be a little more suited for hill climbing.

I thought about it for a little while as well, sr20 or Vh41/5, honestly I had to choose the latter. The VH41 was just more powerful all-around, cost alot cheaper, even my engine which has about 120k on it, is in absolute pristine condition and after the reconditioning, it'll pur like new. Not to mention that with so much power on an N/A setup, you have torque all through the powerband, if you open a VH up, you're in for a shock.. it'll just keep going and going and going and that's with no mods, and as of late, turboing the VH isn't as difficult as it was two years ago, people have already reverse engineered the spider-intake and some have already created custom intake plenums which boost the efficiency of the engine by something crazy.

Unfortunately, no engine is cheaper than another, I reckon I would've been spending the same on an sr as I would've on a vh, so I just thought "Okay, v8, check, nissan, check, sounds godly, check, do I care about trees or petrol prices? (even though it doesn't consume much fuel..) no".

SR is limited without spending something stupid, VH is not limited at all, it's just alot of work, ALOT of work haha.

Robstar

where can i see the pics or something from that guys conversion. i dont mind custom frame but dont want to touch the chasis to make it fit.

SR20det is bit more exy but i know them inside out. still got it after 10 years in the s14 and love it.aftermarket support is massive.

i got an rb and not that keen on L with carbies and non crossflow

dont care how reliable or how much power they can make. its just too expensive.

( i should run for cover as i guess lot of ppl say that conversions cost lot of $$$, conversions are cheap for me as i do all the work myself)

love the v8 but lot more work to drop one in. sr20det will be a breeze. but like you all the checks in the correct boxes for the v8 except one for me.

ill prob keep it auto for simplicity just add those flappy pedal shift to the steering for the

manual style shifting.

but still very keen on the V8. just want the sound. (that should be two ticks  ;D) everything else dont bother me as i know what SR can do.

quad cam 4.5l in a 240 sounds tough even without turnin it on or even looking at it.  8)

keep us posted on development. love the conversions.

There is a guy here in NZ with a VH41DE installed in his Targa 240z racecar - goes very well. The VH41DE is 1.5" narrower than the VH45 so is an easier install as there will be more room for headers etc. As stated the VH45 internals fit within the VH41 block so you can make the 4.1 into a 4.5 easy.

I believe the indy lite series uses the VH41 blocks with serious mods to bring them down to 3.5L with 600hp N/A it would be good to see if you could pickup one of these from the USA and drop that in - would rev like buggery and sound mean.

There is a guy here in NZ with a VH41DE installed in his Targa 240z racecar - goes very well. The VH41DE is 1.5" narrower than the VH45 so is an easier install as there will be more room for headers etc. As stated the VH45 internals fit within the VH41 block so you can make the 4.1 into a 4.5 easy.

I believe the indy lite series uses the VH41 blocks with serious mods to bring them down to 3.5L with 600hp N/A it would be good to see if you could pickup one of these from the USA and drop that in - would rev like buggery and sound mean.

I agree with you, but I must correct you on the last part.

There are two different types of VH41, the JDM spec and US spec, the latter being a piece of shit. Don't get them confused. They even look like completely different engines and perform differently. It's quite easy to find nissan cima half cuts from 92 or so without having some extreme connections.

The guy I chat with about engines and what not is Mettler, he's in NZ as well with a VH41DE dropped into a R31. Goes nicely.

I agree with you, but I must correct you on the last part.

There are two different types of VH41, the JDM spec and US spec, the latter being a piece of shit. Don't get them confused. They even look like completely different engines and perform differently. It's quite easy to find nissan cima half cuts from 92 or so without having some extreme connections.

The guy I chat with about engines and what not is Mettler, he's in NZ as well with a VH41DE dropped into a R31. Goes nicely.

Thanks for the info did not know there was a difference in the JDM and US version of 41. I believe all here in NZ are JDM units

• 5 months later...