Sign in to follow this  
bigmac123_99

Widest Tyre/Rim Combo on 260z

yeah this is a pretty important point when lowering all cars.

fortunately i have a tendency when building cars that if i have to remove something to mod something, it doesnt go back on the car, if i take it off i figure i might as well replace it with new stuff so i wont have to worry about it for a while so all my setup is going to be matched to everything.

pulling up an old post here...

The picture of the 260z 2+2 in the post is exactly the look I want to achieve. Has inspired me to do something very similar.

From my research, this car is "apparently" running 17x10 rear (with 255/40x17 tyre) and 17x9.5 front (with 235/40x17).  Now - I have been reading thru posts...but still getting my head around things.  If I understand - to fit this sort of rubber - it would seem that coil over suspension is the only way?  I see various prices quoted for this, but nothing firm.  Also there's a mention of Fulcrum Suspension who do good work, but they are in QLD.

So..what I need to clarify is the following...

1. To fit 17x9.5 (or 17x10) with bigger 255/40x17 (as per 260z in the post), I must fit coil over suspension (along with the various strut modifications required)?  Am I right?  Or after adding some decent koni classic struts and king springs can you fit that sort of Rim and rubber with std setup?

2. Seems like coil over gives flexibility for more wheel options anyway - can someone point me in the right direction for a contact in MELBOURNE who does this work on Z's?

Appreciate any advice you can offer.

Shan

Theres an eastern European bloke out in Melbournes outer east who does this kind of work.

Lurcher Automotive P/L

Cheers

John

pulling up an old post here...

The picture of the 260z 2+2 in the post is exactly the look I want to achieve. Has inspired me to do something very similar.

From my research, this car is "apparently" running 17x10 rear (with 255/40x17 tyre) and 17x9.5 front (with 235/40x17).  Now - I have been reading thru posts...but still getting my head around things.  If I understand - to fit this sort of rubber - it would seem that coil over suspension is the only way?  I see various prices quoted for this, but nothing firm.  Also there's a mention of Fulcrum Suspension who do good work, but they are in QLD.

So..what I need to clarify is the following...

1. To fit 17x9.5 (or 17x10) with bigger 255/40x17 (as per 260z in the post), I must fit coil over suspension (along with the various strut modifications required)?  Am I right?  Or after adding some decent koni classic struts and king springs can you fit that sort of Rim and rubber with std setup?

2. Seems like coil over gives flexibility for more wheel options anyway - can someone point me in the right direction for a contact in MELBOURNE who does this work on Z's?

Appreciate any advice you can offer.

Shan

You don't really need coil over. You can fit 17x9 with approx -13 offset on the front and 17x9.5 with -19 offset rear. Tyres for front that you need are 225x45 and 245 x 40 for the rear. I ran 255x40 but 245x40 would look and clear more nicley. This is with ZG flares as per the pic you were looking at on thje2+2 a page back or so!?

Sulio

Cheers Sulio. 

Yep - the pic a page or so back is exactly what I was looking to achieve.

Will look into the price of coil over suspension also, but given my budget, may just stick to basic quality suspension upgrades - particularly if the rim and rubber I want can squeeze onto the car as is. 

Appreciate the advice re. tyre size selection also mate.

Ta

Shan coil overs are around 2" narrower than the standard Zed suspension. This obviously allows your mags & tyre to go in under the guards around another 1" (inwards) obviously allowing for a wider wheel combination.

Figured coilovers allowed for rubber and rim.  Suspect I will upgrade, but stick to the original type of setup.  Wheels shown in previous pick are aggressive enough for me.  In addition, I plan to fit ZG flares anyway, so coilover suspension will not be necessary.

Cheers.

Ok.  I'm am confused.  Easily done.  So need some help.

This photo has rattled me a little.

These are RB's: 17x9.5 -19 rear and 17x9 -13 on the front apparently.

Car looks great, but I thought that 17's, with that particular offset combination, are supposed to "fill out" ZG flares.

Jpav (the owner) indicates that he has rolled the guards in the rear - that's it.  These do not look like they will fill out ZG's at all.  Even with a spacer.

I am missing something quite obvious here aren't I?  I did not think RB 17x9.5 -13 offset were supposed to fit under the rears guards without chopping them.

I also understand that Jays grey zed (that UK 2+2) with the Arrow style wheels (previously mentioned in this post), had very similar wheel size (.5" wider) and same offset as the RB's, yet his fill out ZG's really well.  Look totally different.

What am I missing here?

post-1560-144023575322_thumb.jpg

The only thing you are missing is the offset. I have 17x9's all round and fit under the guards easy. If you want flares then go for it. Then pich a rim/tyre combo with the offset to push the wheel out and fill the guard.

Ok - figured it was something like that.

So what is the right offset to fill out the ZG's on a 2+2 then? 

With everything I have been reading I thought it was 17x9.5 -19 rear and 17x9 -13 on the front.

Pretty sure that is what everyone on the forum has indicated as well. 

If the above picture is a reflection of these offsets (-19/-13) on a 2+2, then everything I have been thinking/told is not right.  No way they will fill out ZG's with that offset.

Anyone point me in the right direction with 17" wheels offsets for 2+2 for filling out ZG's?

Shan

hi shan,

the 2+2 has slightly different offset (i think). The RB's in the offset you quoted will work great for 2 seaters.

The only rims you will find to fill out zgs are wats, roh, arrows, steelies, any cusatom wheels really or some old school jap ones, and maybe performance alloys (http://www.performancewheels.com.au/alloywheels_classic.asp)

Ben :)

Keep in mind that +2's have a heap more wheel room in the rear than 2 seaters so you will need wheels with a more positive offset to fill out ZG flares if you are fitting them.

Sorry about all the questions, but since I am close to ordering wheels - really want to make sure I am on the right track...

Also know this has been done to death on the 2 seaters...so apologies.  Figured this may help some others with 2+2 tho.

Been thinking about this some more.....

Jay's 2+2 in previous posts definitely has the following:

"Suspension is Eibach lowering springs and standard shocks and no spacers.

Offset is 17 x 10 -19mm offset and front 17 x 9.5 -13."

EXACTLY same offset as RB Rotas above.

Only diff is half an inch in Width - which is a bit over a 1cm.

Similar dimensions, but they look WAY different to RB's.  Better I think (on a 2+2 anyways).

If you can imagine popping flares on the 2+2 with RB's posted above - I could easily see the RB's getting a bit lost under the extra guard width.

I just can't believe Jays 2+2 and the Blue 2+2 below, have EXACTLY the same offset as the RB's above.  Blue Z has same dimension wheels as Jays Grey 2+2 as well (10" rear and 9.5" front).

Crazy how different they all look....

Same offsets!

Dimitri - not sure going positive will help fill out the ZG's though?  Thought it would be more important (visually at least) to go negative offset?

post-1560-144023575786_thumb.jpg

post-1560-14402357579_thumb.jpg

A more positive offset means more of a dish on the outside of the wheel whereas a more negative offset means no dish on the wheel; like you see on alot of late model front wheel drive cars. My Toyota for example uses -38mm offset wheels. The hub face is past halfway and more towards the outside of the wheel.

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

That will explain it better than me...

A more positive offset means more of a dish on the outside of the wheel whereas a more negative offset means no dish on the wheel; like you see on alot of late model front wheel drive cars. My Toyota for example uses -38mm offset wheels. The hub face is past halfway and more towards the outside of the wheel.

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

That will explain it better than me...

Other way round..... Positive offset wheels are what modern cars use and negative offset for old school cars. The negative offset wheels have the deep dish look and that's what you need to fill the guards and flares with a zed.

Thanks for that - was getting a little confused myself!

Negative offset definitely required to fill out the Zed.

What I still do not quite understand is how wheels with same offsets can appear so visually different?   

Offset is measured from the centre of the wheel right?  That's the ONE constant and consistent thing between wheels.  Therefore, wheels with the same offsets should appear visually similar yeah? 

How is it some of the dished wheels above are heaps deeper than the Rota's?  Even though they share the same offset?  ???

Whoopsy...you are right! Helps if you read it a little more closely heh? Don't know how I confused that..

What I still do not quite understand is how wheels with same offsets can appear so visually different?   

Offset is measured from the centre of the wheel right?  That's the ONE constant and consistent thing between wheels.  Therefore, wheels with the same offsets should appear visually similar yeah? 

How is it some of the dished wheels above are heaps deeper than the Rota's?  Even though they share the same offset?  ???

it depends alot on the design of the wheel.

my regamasters were 17x9 +18 and only has about an inch of dish. but the same specs on say a work meister or ssr professor could have 2-3" of dish.

also i think your abit confused. offset isnt the only thing which determines dish and how far the wheels stick out. width makes a big difference.

for example a 15x7 et0 and 15x8 et0 were on the same car. they would not sit in the same position. the 8" would sit 1.27cm further out.

Was definitely confused!!  That being said, appreciate what you are saying.  Understand widths come into it for sure.  Wheels I am talking about in the images above are all pretty much the same widths though. 

Looking into it more, wheel design definitely seems to make much of the difference here.  Two wheels can have same offset, but wheel centre design can make a massive difference to "dish" appearance.

Seems pretty simple now that I think about it.  Took me a little bit to get my head around it all though.

For those of you with 2+2's:

Do not assume wheels which appear a certain way on the 2 seaters will do the same on yours!  Not the case!

RB Rota's in above mentioned offsets (-19 rears) will stick out right past the rear guards on a 2 seater.  They do not appear to achieve that on a 2+2 though.  If you are after the "pumped" look (without spacers), you will need to look at another wheel.

For the record - I have over the last few weeks priced up a few BIG/CUSTOM wheels I liked the look of.

Provided below the info I have to give you all an idea of what is out there (feel free to add your own research for the benefit of others...)

What I have found in 17"s (priced up 9.5"/10" for most part):

BOZE wheels - http://www.bozeforged.com/mesh.html

I haggled a bit with them and best I could get was $2100 USD PLUS $550 freight to Melboure Airport for this wheel. Was only available in 9.5" with a stepped lip.

CCW wheels - http://www.ccwheel.com/files/wheelprofiles-display.php?id=Classic

Will not move AT ALL on price.  $2400 USD PLUS $520.00 freight (9.5 front and 10" rear).

Arrow wheels - http://www.arrowwheels.co.nz/wheels/details.php?id=18

Did not haggle.  $3780 NZD PLUS $340 freight. (9.5 front and 10" rear).  Not as cheap as I thought they would be.

Image wheels - http://www.imagewheels.co.uk/large_wheel_pages/rm2.html

Website price - $1324 UK Pounds.  Freight to be confirmed.

To my surprise - at current exchange rate - Image wheels @ $2232.00 (no freight) appear BY FAR the cheapest in the wheels I have thought worth considering for my 2+2.

Still a lot of $$$.  Wats are going from BenZed at $600 each landed as well so for an extra $200 or so - you can the original look.  16" only though, so again - maybe no good for 2+2 with flares (depending on your taste).

I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives (ROH etc), but happy to hear of others.

Cheers.

Yeah.  Had a looksy.  Not a real fan of some of the styles available in 17".

http://www.superlite-wheels.com/wheelpage.asp?cat=2

Website price $282.00 UK pounds per wheel (10").  Freight unknown.

The ultralight 3-piece looks similar to the Image UK though I suppose.  $50 pounds cheaper as well.  Definitely food for thought.  None of the site photos shows any deep dish 17"s though....would not mind seeing them on a car.

For those interested - got price from Image wheels UK for freight....

$550 POUNDS!  Bugger me.  Almost spat me cuppa tea all over my screen when I saw the price.

Thats about $920 aussie for delivery.  I can get a one way ticket from London/Melb for almost as much.

Confirming if there is a cheaper alternative in freight.  Will post accordingly.

Image wheels reckon that is the cheapest "insured" rate they have been able to find.

They said they are happy for me to arrange my own freight - so looking around at sea freight options.

Will advise.

Sooooo....

Seafreight - pickup from Image wheels delivered to Melbourne Port (not door to door) costs about $300 pounds with insurance. 

So image wheels as seen on Jays Grey 2+2 will cost about $2700 australian.  Not to mention the additional import fees that will be applicable (another $200 or so perhaps).

They are the cheapest custom wheel (with a decent range) landed in Oz,  that I have been able to locate.

Superlites look like another option, but wheels choices are limited.

Anything else worth considering?

Shan