Widest Tyre/Rim Combo on 260z

bigmac123_99

hey all.

this is my first post here and its regarding some wheels for a 260z. im looking at picking one up as soon as i can sell my current almost finished project torana.

now i was just wondering what tyre size i can expect to fit in the rear of a 260+2 if i get some simmons or a similar 3piece wheel that enables me to have the widest rim aswell.

i havent actually looked up in a 260z rear guard yet so im in the dark at the moment but do you guys think i would be expecting to much to hope to fit a 17x 245 45?????

thanks in advance guys

yeah ive been loking at the posts but i cant really get a deffinate answer out of it all.

i pretty much worked out that sulio is running a 255 under flares but i dunno how clos he is clearance wise on the inside of the guard, like near the shock and spring.

coz if i was getting custom 3 piece they can be as close as i tell em the dimensions are and possible 245's under stock guards, rolled in of course.

• Moderators

On my 240, I have managed to fit (with rolled lip) 17x8's with some spare clearance on the inside but I have coilovers fitted. With the 2+2's you do have some extra room under there but are you still using stock springs and perches? If so, best thing to do is where you are getting the wheels measured up, just ask them to fit the widest possible rim. I'm thinking maybe 8-8.5 max but most importantly try to stick to the original rolling diameter. Try for a 17x245 x40 etc..

Where are you going to get the Simmons fitted?

well im not even sure if im goin to get simmons. they have one style that i like but im not sure of it on a zed. i work at a turbo charging sho in the SE burbs of Vic and see simmons all the time so im kinda over them. im thinking of goin some ROH modulars but im still gotta work out the excact price on them opposed to some simmons.

i might get some flares as im coming from a torana so i obviously like the flared look so thats not a problem, just seein if anyone has 245 under stock guards.

how much did your coilover setup set you back and wat company you goin with shocks wise?

In the July August 1993 Street machine magazine there is an article featuring a 240Z, fitted with a 350 chev that the owner narrowed the rear track by 2 inches. It mentions shortening the halfshafts and cutting the a arms.

The rims are 9.5"simmons with 245's

so then using this information i'm guessing that aiming for 245's might be a little bit of a tall order.

ive noticed that the rubber i'm aiming for also come in 225 17 with a profile of 40 which is zedman suggested to still obtain a similar rolling diameter. would it be much easier to fit a 225 under the rear guards?

• Moderators

My coilovers came with the car but I had to re do my fronts and that cost approx $4-500 but the Koni shocks were already modified (shortened) and I had the springs and other bits of hardware. 245's would be a tight fit but should be possible...Craig (ZZZ8) would be the one to ask. The tyre that I found closest to the original and what I have fitted are 225 45 x 17 on all corners. Same size tyres on a lot of European cars. I worked it out on this website;

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

You will find 225's will fit under any zed!

hmmm, i will send him a msg then. i just wanted to get as much footprint as i could to help with traction as 225's arent really big enough to put any decent power down.

the rubber i am gonna be getting are Falken RT 615 tyres, there comp type street tyre. i've heard good things about them so it will be interesting to find out for myself. anyone here using these?

Could someone put a STICKY up and just list the EXACT MAXIMUM TYRE/WHEEL combo that will fit in the following catorgories.

TYRE RIM COMBO STOCK 240Z

TYRE RIM COMBO 240Z WITH FLARES

TYRE RIM COMBO 240Z WITH FLARES & COILOVERS

TYRE RIM COMBO STOCK 260Z

TYRE RIM COMBO 260Z WITH FLARES

TYRE RIM COMBO 260Z WITH FLARES & COILOVERS

TYRE RIM COMBO STOCK 260Z 2+2

TYRE RIM COMBO 260Z 2+2 WITH FLARES

TYRE RIM COMBO 260Z 2+2 WITH FLARES & COILOVERS

Could someone put a STICKY up and just list the EXACT MAXIMUM TYRE/WHEEL combo that will fit in the following catorgories.

TYRE RIM COMBO STOCK 240Z

TYRE RIM COMBO 240Z WITH FLARES

TYRE RIM COMBO 240Z WITH FLARES & COILOVERS

TYRE RIM COMBO STOCK 260Z

TYRE RIM COMBO 260Z WITH FLARES

TYRE RIM COMBO 260Z WITH FLARES & COILOVERS

TYRE RIM COMBO STOCK 260Z 2+2

TYRE RIM COMBO 260Z 2+2 WITH FLARES

TYRE RIM COMBO 260Z 2+2 WITH FLARES & COILOVERS

I think having a sticky with that info would be a really useful resource and would avoid having reposts like this.

However its easy for me to say that since I wouldn't be the one that has to write it up.  :P

yeah ive been loking at the posts but i cant really get a deffinate answer out of it all.

i pretty much worked out that sulio is running a 255 under flares but i dunno how clos he is clearance wise on the inside of the guard, like near the shock and spring.

I've got about 5mm from tyre wall to stock spring perch from memory.

Just go with the flares and get the wheels below, you can't go wrong, *this is a members car from Ireland):

260z026.jpg

260z027.jpg

260z007.jpg

...oh and don't forget to keep trolling through these forums to find the good deal you can get on the RB (-R) wheels currently being made in 17x9 front and 17x9.5 rear for stock spring perch set up to get the above look. These wheels are very similar to the ones above but only roughly $1000.00 to your door and you know they fit. There's alot on here re those wheels just search and you'll find it...

Good Luck

Sulio

That is definately the look that im goin for. even on the silver car with black flares!! im not the bigest fan of the wheel style though, they look too much like superlights from the "performance wheels company"

i wanted to go for a more modern look like a 5spoke rim in a black finish. but yeah, that deff looks the  goods and i love the stance of Zeds with big fat rubber down back!!!    HOW INTIMIDATING!!!!

Hi Bigmac,

It sounds like you need to firstly work out how far or how much you want to spend on your Zed. This will stop you doing things 2 & 3 times. Do you want coil overs? Cost around $1,000- or there about for the two rears to be done. Then the same for the front. Now if you did this first then you would get much more rubber under the standard guards.

I have coil overs, 17x9" mags and 255 rubber on the back which fit easy.

If you go mags first then coil overs a year later or even flares then you might find you want bigger rubber because they would now fit. Try and work out where you want to be in a few years time and save some money by doing the job properly once.

Cheers

yeah matei know what your saying as i learnt this during the first project car i did.(the torana)

I know a few things from the get go that the 260 is gonna have. i know that preperation is %90 of the end result. this is why its obvious to prepare the rear end before goin and getting rims.

i will deff be goin coil overs all round, ill shave some meat out of the back guards if i can and i will also be poutting flares all around aswell so hopefully my tyres will fit. its only gonna have the 2.6 at the start and i know ppl who read this are gonna be thinking that 255's are way overkill for a 2.6 but i am gonna be putting a forced VH45 in her down the track and this is why i need big rubber. so yeah, i know what your saying about working out where you wanna be and this is why i only wanna buy one set of rims coz if you start doin things twice, car cost deff start to add up REALLY quick.

I really like the help that you guys are providing through your own personall experiences and i hope that i can help ouyt you guys with anything i can within my field of expertise bein a mechanic at a turbocharging shop now. so thanks and if anyone wants to tell me anything not said allready let me know, hopefully you can help me avoid a headache.

Oh yeah, what brand coilovers are everyone running??? and how much they set ya back a pair??? $1000 sounds to be on the money for a decent rear set.

Only a grand for rear coilovers?

I've been told to expect up to 5k for a set... but I'm guessing thats a custom job versus something bought pre made? I'm spending 1300 on Koni red and king springs, but I would gladly spend 700 more to widen my wheel choices with coilovers.

• Moderators

I just bought some coilover parts recently and the threaded tubes were only $49 each, all the alloy sleeve nuts and top hats (for either front or back pairs) are about $250 pair. So all the parts needed (except for the strut shortening and shock modifications and labour) is approx $600.

Big mac it all depends on what look you are going for, but the wheels that look like superlites actually look like the era correct WATANBE wheels. That were used on racing zeds of the time in Japan.

stevo, i have been quoted that price for froffesionally done and engineered minitubs which include a pair of new coild over shocks which are re located obviously so that sorta money for some shocks is a bit steep i think.

i dont een think it would cost that much to replace your shocks with ohlins shocks and some tein springs.

but hey, some ppl quote whatever they feel there work is worth i sauppose.

and as far as wheels go, im almost certain that im gonna get some ROH modulars made up for me.

i almost got some for the torana and regretted not doin i ever since and ive vowed to myself that this car im doin it all properly and not gonna skimp on the funding even if it means waiting couple of extra weeks just to pay for a component.

I think someone was trying to rip you off with that quote Steve. Parts are around $300- to $400- for the rear then it's labour to do the job. You might want to have a chat to some fellow members who had done the same.

stevo, i have been quoted that price for froffesionally done and engineered minitubs which include a pair of new coild over shocks which are re located obviously so that sorta money for some shocks is a bit steep i think.

i dont een think it would cost that much to replace your shocks with ohlins shocks and some tein springs.

Wow! So I'm paying currently $477x2 (front and rear koni reds) and $204 for King Springs. Total: $1158 just these parts

If I went the coilover route then I would still need to Koni reds but I would be paying ~$400+labor to make the coilovers. Total would end up being $1100+$400+labor = $1500+labor for these parts?

This seems like a good option, as it will significantly increase my wheel choices and allow me to go for a deeper dish. If I have misunderstood anything let me know now, because I'm going to take this to Fulcrum Suspension and get them to update the quote. I originally figured I wouldn't go the coilover route because of the significant increase in cost but looking at these numbers I don't see how I got that impression.

Thanks guys  ;D

For Tein coil overs you will be looking at around $3000. This was just a rough off the top of the head figure given by Jimmy of Fulcrum.

I think Fulcrum can do Bilstien coil overs for cheaper.

Take a look at this thread Bigmac.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,2672.0.html

Just make sure when you get the front shockers that they are the shortened type. As with the coil overs you can easily lower the car a few inch's. If you do this, standard length shockers will bottom out and eventually break.