Sign in to follow this  
reverendzed

Who needs MSA?

Well after seeing some posts from Stevo and others regarding a rear mounting system for speakers etc, I got to thinking....who needs the YANKS when we've got great Aussie thinking right here....so I had a day off, had a go at drawing up some plans and well....here it is...it turned out pretty darn good!  Might think about taking orders and a whole lot cheaper than $250-300 landed in Oz from the boys in the U.S...it's all in a days work! ;D

Rev.

post-646-144023497319_thumb.jpg

post-646-144023497359_thumb.jpg

post-646-144023497399_thumb.jpg

post-646-144023497439_thumb.jpg

Nice work, I made something similar for my Z. http://www.viczcar.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=40

Only problem from memory is getting to the spare tyre easily. It was also tricky getting it to bolt in to those little "ear tabs" in the car.

I love it and 1000% better than the MSA version. I love the way you have incorporated the tail light access lids as well.

Could you post some measurments up?

Seeming it was going to cost $273 to mail my fiberglass hood with toll down to Tasmania. Costs could be prohibitive for me Rev.

P.S. is that two ports either side or a port and a speaker?

hey hunter, it's a port and a tweeter on the side panel.  I'm actually thinking about having a go at making one of these in Fibreglass that way it helps cut down the weight (although the one I made isn't that heavy) you could then simply cut out whatever holes you need and then upholster it in your own choice of material.....! just an idea :)  thanks for your encouragement guys...I love to create stuff that others sell for big prices ...just to prove I can!

It would be good to get some dimensions from a 240 & 260 2 seater as the rear end differs from my 2+2, if anyone in Melbourne wants a hand to make one or wants me to make one for them let me know and I'll find out the exact dimensions of that rear panel in those 2 models.  Micheal let me know if you are interested as you proceed with your resto and I'll see what i can do.

Rev.

Yeah rev Definently interested In picking one up at some point in the next few weeks if possible, once i begin putting the interior/Sterio back in ( Its in bits atm) Will be doing that after the engine bays Done and finished, But yeah, Ill keep in touch, Michael

Hey Rev, looks great..

Ive got 5-6 sheets of laminate joinery board which are approx 2400x1200 x 6mm , the boards are finished in a very high gloss , gun grey colour & are quite lightweight..they cost us a bomb, but the job changed and we only used 1/2 of what I ordered....If you have a use for them let me know...

would look a million dollars as a speaker enclosure..  8)

Thanks Michael and chris, keep your eyes out as I attempted something else today as another cool interior mod,will post a little later on!

Just an FYI guys, shipping on MSA speakerbox was just quoted to me to be $250 US, on top of the original price of the box. Ends up being over $500 AUD with our weak dollar at the moment (0.75 aud/1us)

;D

Rev if you want to make him one go right ahead but if not...

I was planning on making a pretty exact copy of the msa one for Steve at christmas time (I have the msa box in my 240z). I was gonna make 5 or so sets cause the materials will be pretty cheap. I was thinking of covering a few in carpet, vinyl and leaving a few blank.

I have a bit of experience building speakers, it's a small and expensive hobby of mine :)

Thats awesome!!!! I need to do something like that, but at the moment the sound of the engine is loud and too good for music...also I need to save for some tripple webers and new suspension.

Rev if you want to make him one go right ahead but if not...

I was planning on making a pretty exact copy of the msa one for Steve at christmas time (I have the msa box in my 240z). I was gonna make 5 or so sets cause the materials will be pretty cheap. I was thinking of covering a few in carpet, vinyl and leaving a few blank.

I have a bit of experience building speakers, it's a small and expensive hobby of mine :)

Maybe make up some templates ;)

The MSA one in my opinion looks very aftermarket, the one I made replaces or incorporates the interior tail light panels into one unit it looks much more custom, I'd love to work with anything/anyone to come up with the very best product.  Mossy, I'd like to measure up the 240 rear and see how far out the one I have made is, and then we can go from there.

Rev.

Nothing to do this weekend so I made a speaker box, the speakers aren't boxed in at the back though so don't know if you'd call it a speaker box :)

post-192-144023531096_thumb.jpg

post-192-144023531102_thumb.jpg

Nice work Mossy, I like the streamline look you have achieved. Any chance of a template? I would mine having a go at my self

Regards

Bruce