Lazy window wipers?

Zedman240®

• Moderators

Just curious if anyone here has ever had to repair their "lazy" slow wiping wipers. Mine on the 240Z, with 14.1V, wipe the screen as if they are 80 years old. Just wondering if it's worn bushes, worn motor or all the above. My previous 260Z had the best ones from memory. Worked flawlessly!

Yep mine seized after my Z was sitting for a while.

I ended up stripping them down and it was a build up of general gunk in the pivot points where the wiper arms bolt on.

Took a few hours but now they are quicker then they ever were.

Funny thing was the same thing happened to my work van the very next month. Weird. :-\

:D i just went thou the same problem .Went to a autoelec to work out the trouble,wasn,t the problem

the problem was all the linkages were all nearly sezed so he pulled them all out soaked them in some cleaning suff maybe degreaser than cleaned them up put back in and never been better.then problem is alot of shit sits in that bay that don,t move there are 2 drain holes that are more than likely blocked so run a hose down them to flush out once a nd a while.anyway thats how i fixed them hope it helps .

pauly mr240z 8)

My new 240z has the same problem, they tend to work when the engine is not running, but when the engine is running they either stop or keep going for just a little while.

I think there could be wiring issues aswell, the pissers go when you first turn the wiper knob.

I remember my 260Z 2+2 had reasonable wipers, I am going to try the complete setup out of this and see if there is any improvment. grease on all moving parts too.

Also I have read on hybridz or classiczcar that the use of a Honda Civic motor works well with minor modifications, there is a how to on it somewhere. including wiring diagram etc.

• Moderators

I remember looking at that HybridZ Honda motor conversion, the only down side is when you turn them off, they dont go back to their rest position. Unless you switch them off at the exact moment. Thanks for all the recommendations, I'll remove the assembly and see what I find!

i remember reading somewhere about a simple circuit that someone has come up with which makes them turn off at the correct spot, and they provided the diagram etc. i think it was on classiczcars.

it would definitely be nice to have wipers which could keep up with the rain! and if i was ever driving along over 60 they wouldn't turn off in the right spot anyway!

Keep us posted Dimitri. I would be interested if you find a solution.

As for the other comments - When you say you cleaned out the linkages etc and the wipers went faster. does that mean they went faster for a Zed or as fast as a modern cars wipers?

It must have been classiczcar that had the article in it with the honda replacement motor, and yes it did have the wiring diagram for the wipers to turn off automatically.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28989

Everything you'll need to know about putting in a 91' Honda Civic wiper motor into your 240Z. With park function.

• Moderators

Thanks Hunter, looks like I'll be doing a trip to the wreckers this weekend for a wiper motor. Apparently quite a few people have tried cleaning and re-greasing linkages but to no avail. Once the motor is changed it all runs like a modern car. I'm just hoping their Honda market Civics are the same as ours and share the same components. Looks like I'm not the only one with this issue! hahaha

I have the same issue with my new 240z, I am going to do the upgrade, I will wait until you have done your install to see if the Aussie civics are the same as the American ones.

My other option is the wiper system out of my 260z 2+2.

• Moderators

Just come back from the wrecker; and found that the correct motor (well the car I pulled it out from was a Aug 93 Civic). All the earlier 89-91 Civics had that "spider" type motor fitted. If it has 4 alloy mounting lugs to the firewall, keep looking! Another little difference is that LHD Civics in the U.S. have a slightly different gearbox on the motor. Looked at the HybridZ site and its OK; another guy there found a motor out of a 95 Civic "UK Spec" and it is the same as my RHD motor. I'll take some pics while I'm converting but for now some pics I found on the HybridZ site:

Pic of both motors compared (US style)

Second pic is RHD motor fitted..

Third pic is what motor you will find at the wreckers..

post-801-144023497809_thumb.jpg

post-801-144023497812_thumb.jpg

post-801-144023497818_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Finished the Honda motor upgrade with no real issues. Found out my 2nd speed doesn't work thanks to my switch! It all went together very easily. Took some pics along the way; helpful for a guide to diy. I also found I have two right hand wiper arms; they are both the same length. I'll have to search around for a shorter one so I can get a proper wipe on the windscreen.

post-801-144023499142_thumb.jpg

post-801-144023499149_thumb.jpg

post-801-144023499159_thumb.jpg

post-801-144023499165_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Compared to my original setup? I'd say an improvement of around 300%. It actualy wipes completely back and forth without pausing for breath and goes back to rest position all the time. In other words, with my previous setup, I'd be scared to be caught in some drizzle...

• Moderators

In that HybridZ post, a member just wired in a 5 pin relay (with a 87a terminal) and that supplies 12v to the motor even when the switch is off until the motor returns to its "park position" and then the internal switch in the gearbox itself disconnects the power. then its ready for another cycle to begin when the wiper switch is turned to "on". I think that's how it is!!

Nice work Zedman240.  Might have to try this sometime cause mine aren't exactly quick.

My new 240z has the same problem, they tend to work when the engine is not running, but when the engine is running they either stop or keep going for just a little while.

I think there could be wiring issues aswell, the pissers go when you first turn the wiper knob.

I had a similar problem.  Turned out to be the ignition switch wasn't aligned properly so when it was on the 'ON' position it was actually halfway between on and start.

For all the people that have slow wipers and are lazy like me then carry some rain-x with you, it's magic stuff.  Some of the guys I race against have removed their wipers cause they get in the way of your vision when you sit so low in the car and just use rain-x.  It's magic stuff!