The right tool to cut Z metal?

Robstar

Some have suggested I use an angle grinder, some have suggested a plasma welder or even a jig cutter.. some of it seems overkill.

Basically, somewhere down the track of my Z's history, they omega-glued the fenders down on it. They will not come off and need to be cut off, which is alright, considering I decided to buy new ones from allzparts (still waiting for an email back from them).

So to get to the point, which tool would you recommend for cutting them off? Seemed like a good idea to ask here, since I could also use that same tool to cut out rusty sections of the car.

angle grinder.

Its cheap to buy, cheap to get discs for, easy to use, doesnt heat up the metalwork (warpage) unless your extremely heavy handed, and can sucsesfully do reasonably delicate jobs.

i find my little 4" good for many jobs.

You could also use a small air powered cut off wheel for the fine bits.

plasma and oxy tend to be too hot, and do more damage than you realise.

nibblers are very good, but bend the edges quite badly, not so good if you want to weld visible panels in a butt join.

i have had some sucess with a jigsaw and fine metal blade, went slowly and carefully and got a very clean cut, that was easy to shape around complex curves.

hell yes, thats how i did my guards for flares, got a magnificent cut on the front guards, got a lot of comments from people that saw them before the flares and well the rears were full of bog and rust, so i couldnt get a good cut there, but a 4" grinder will do a great job of anything if you are carefull.

Hmm angle grinders work with the thin blades but the heat can cause the metal to warp. so when using them be carefull could end up with the pannel beater doing a lot more work. Yes i use one. a plasma cutter when you can get your hands on one is great but they expensive. they can warp as well but the bigest problem i found was slag left behind. great tools though. we use to use them everywhere at the panel shop and at the tracking station. a metal sabor saw is great if you have the space to use them. because they are like a jig saw if there is something on the other side and you run into it then it wont cut just break the blade or move your arms up and down for a while. so they are probably your best options but not the only ones.

As someone who is doing quite a bit in this area, let me tell you that an angle grinder with the 1mm Metal cutting wheel will eat through the metal that rapidly that there is very little heat build up and I have never seen any 'warp' from this.  The other benefit is nice straight cuts with a clean work area ready for welding.  Everyone has an opinion but take it from me this is the easiest, most cost effective method you will find.

Rev.

• 7 months later...

as a panel beater working with this stuff every day i say you cant go past the angle grinder with the 1 mm disk.I have never had warping from this

air hack saws are good also and don't forget the good old metal shears, they can also come in very handy in some cases.

I have a plasma and i usually only use it for rough cutting on rare occasions  

just back to the cutting again......makita & De-walt make a reciprocating saw...bit like a single bladed hacksaw.

lots of plumbers use these, and you can easily cut curves, & cut thru 1.6mm like butter. The makita is around the $350 mark, not sure abou the D-walt.

as chris mentioned but u can also get them in air powerd fro lot cheaper. i guess u need an air comp so if u got one could be a good tool to have. helped me a fair bit around my z.

but like said above 4" with 1mm disk works for me quite well. but hey hes allready done the job story finished.