Sign in to follow this  
zedls1

Alternator issues?

Had the Z back on the road now for 4 weeks now clocking up some k's to blast around at P.I on the 21st of Sep and last Friday battery dead. New battery put in and what do you know, Saturday night, dead battery, would'nt crank over. Is this an alternator issue? Is there an easy fix or would it need an overhaul?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

John

Check if the Alt is charging witha multimeter or just go down to your local auto elec and he can check. Might be a short somewhere. In the meantime I'd just take the batt terminal off when you park the car.

Sulio

Hey Sulio, thanks for your reply. I'll take the batt terminal off as you said, as I won't have time till the weekend to get it checked out proper. How are your new fornt brakes?

Are you running braided lines?

I've ordered some braided lines for mine, hopefully get them fitted b4 P.I sprints.

John

Good thing to do before you get it checked is to put a fully automatic charger on it every night. Sounds like your regulator or alternator isn't charging at all and the car is running off the battery discharging it. While its running, you should see 13.8 - 14V. If it's anything below, take it to a autoelec!!

Hi John

I had exactly the same problem back in June. My zed killed a battery and flattend a new one in 3 days.  I put in a reco alternator, no joy, then changed the regulator and problem solved!

Till I fixed it, I just disconected the battery, actually I think it was Sulios idea do do that back then!

Dale

How are your new fornt brakes?

Are you running braided lines?

I've ordered some braided lines for mine, hopefully get them fitted b4 P.I sprints.

John

Hi John,

Yer the Hilux calipers I installed are great. ready for the rear now.

Sulio

Thank's for info guy's. I charged the battery overnight and put it back in the Z and started no probs. Put the meter on it and was reading 14.4. I might take her out for a spin tonight and see how it goes with holding charge, lights, indicators and radio will test it. Hopefully it's a voltage regulator only that will need replacing.

John

Have you located the problem?

I had a similar situation and it turned out the glove box lid was not closing far enough and the light in the glove box was permanently on and draining the battery.

Warren

Hi Warren,

It seems to have sorted itself out. Since I charged the battery it's been good, voltage regulator is doing it's job. Hope it's not an intermittent issue.

John