Arizona Z Car - Rear Brake Handbrake Redesign

Hi All,  :)

With the recent strong value of the Aussie Dollar v the US Dollar, I went out and spent up big with Arizona Z Car. Its great gear and fits well, however the lack of a handbrake is less than adequate.

I have redesigned the supplied bracket, so that it now incorporates a Wilwood Mechanical Spot Caliper, as well as the original Wilwood 4 Piston Caliper.

I have posted a few pictures in the Gallery section if you are interested to see what it looks like.

In the next 2 to 3 weeks, I will be finalising the connection of the new custom handbrake cable....This alone has been quite challenging. I will post more pics of that side of things once its in place.

Since posting the pics, I have already had numerous enquiries about supplying them to fellow Z owners. I am totally happy to do this, but it will obviously only be once Ive tested it out on the road in real life situations (Parking on an incline etc). If you are interested in a set, which will comprise of 2 Caliper brackets, 2 small handbrake cable mounts, and a brand new custom Handbrake cable, then please let me know so I can go ahead and make some enquiries about costings for multiple orders.

I would also appreciate any feedback / suggestions etc etc from you guys.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Warren (Woza01)  ;D

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have a definate yes from me, i was contemplating just getting a hydraulic hand brake, but i would prefer your method as i dont actually need one.  Or the line locker they sell, but its not quite adequate for everyday use either.  (yes i am aware that Hydaulic H brakes are illegal on their own and without engineering).

No I didnt get mine from Wilwood....I was lucky enough to find a brand new pair for sale on ebay Australia. Snapped them up immediately.  ;D

Try the Wilwood website. A quick search on google came up with plenty of suppliers - here are the first 2, but they are in the USA. I didnt try an aussie search, but you get the idea !

http://www.pitstopusa.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=3685

http://www.jegs.com/p/Wilwood/757779/10002/-1/11755

Cheers

Woza

You know there is a place in the UK that have an agreement with Wilwood (an exclusive agreement as in you can only get these from him) to sell a 4 pot caliper with built-in handbrake setup and I also believe they have an exclusive to sell the 4 pots with dust seals too.

I will see if I can find the link.

Found it.

First here is a pic of the modified PowerLite Caliper (check the specs of the powerlite caliper on wilwood site if you want more info on the disc sizing etc they support and tech drawings etc)

120-8726-HB.jpg

And this is the place that sells them.

www.rallydesign.co.uk

I found out about these when a mate imported these calipers for his Ford Carpi racecar as he still wanted a handbrake but not a hydraulic setup.

Just a point about the Wilwoods with the built-in handbrake (see image) - make sure you will have rim clearance. I am only running 15" and there was no way those calipers would fit, that why I went for the two separate rear calipers, plus the fact the 4 spot rears look fantastic. Woza in on an absolute winner with his design.

If you are buying the Wilwoods then Dave at Arizona Z can source the handbrake caliper for you - saves a separate freight charge. That's not an ad for him it's just that he was the cheapest supplier I found.

Wilwood don't appear to list the Mechanical Spot Caliper on their site now they have the built-in unit but the units are available according to Jegs etc., and as I stated from Arizona Z.

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipers/033-cpb/index.asp

post-684-144023495579_thumb.jpg

woza, assuming the calipers do not have dust seals, is this going to be a problem when it comes to getting a RWC or engineers cert?

to clarify, the bracket you would be selling replaces the need for the AZC rear bracket all together? I guess you still use their rotor adapter, so even though you still end up paying for something you dont need from AZC its not that much?

i might be interested, depending mainly on legal issues of dust seals, and the price :D

Yes Zedevan, That is the case, the new bracket replaces the supplied AZC one entirely.....if you bought the complete kit off AZC then the brackets would be surplus to your needs. I guess one way around this would be to order the kit from him, including the spot calipers (which he will do apparently according to previous posts), but minus the brackets.....may be an option.

With regards to the dust seals. Every state is going to have its own laws and legislation on such matters. I know here in WA it 'shouldn't' be a problem, as I have mates with highly modified cars, which have the same calipers on them - They passed engineering without a problem. So, in a nutshell, I guess its up to the individual to assess what the legalities are in their own state.

Price? well as yet I still don't know. My first set is probably going to cost me around $500 all up. Thats supply of plate for bracket & cable bracket, Laser cutting, machining (thats the major expense) & Cable hardware & manufacture. Hopefully if I get 10 sets, or 20 made up (depending of course on orders), then the price 'should' hopefully drop. I wont know that for a while though. Sorry :-[

Woza

Found it.

First here is a pic of the modified PowerLite Caliper (check the specs of the powerlite caliper on wilwood site if you want more info on the disc sizing etc they support and tech drawings etc)

And this is the place that sells them.

www.rallydesign.co.uk

I found out about these when a mate imported these calipers for his Ford Carpi racecar as he still wanted a handbrake but not a hydraulic setup.

Are you sure these are not for the hydraulic handbrake setup, i.e. rallying application? They don't look mechanical to me. The only mechanical combination handbrake/rotorbrake I can find is the one cylinder (floating) example shown in my previous post.

I haven't followed up on it yet, but on initial viewing of the posted image, I thought that it wasn't a mechanical setup either, but studying it has led me to this conclusion. If you look at the centre of the caliper where the two chrome looking hooks are.....I believe that this is the mechanical actuatuator mechanism. I reckon it works by squeezing together these levers, which are pivoted on the caliper, which forces the pads together irrespective of the hydraulic pistons.....not sure if thats fact though, just how it looks to me.

If that is indeed the way it works, there would be issues in getting the handrake cable to band around that far, as the caliper would still have to be mounted on the front of the strut.

I'm thinking these calipers may be limited to active rallying manoeuvres (Scandinavian flick turns, etc.) and perhaps not for long duration parking applications.

If the actuation mechanism is as supposed by woza and there is only one pull-point on the hook device (assumption), couldn't the edge of the pad in contact with the outer most portion of the rotor act as a pivot causing the pad to apply an equal and opposite reaction force on the piston and SLOWLY force it back into the caliper. The same way you force old pads off the rotor when you are replacing them. If I'm right (not a given) wouldn't the initial handbrake force applied by the pad or at least the area in contact with the rotor diminish after a relatively short time. Again, if this is so and the piston is forced back, what happen first time you apply the brakes after parking the car with the handbrake applied.

I'm guessing it will all depends on how evenly those hook pieces apply the pressure to the pads.

To answer some of my own questions I have gleaned the following information over the past few days.

The Wilwood 'rally' Powerlite 4 spot caliper does appear to incorporate a PARKING brake. http://k80rum.co.uk/Mechanical_Handbrake.aspx  The calipers and cable are around $600AUS before shipping.

The Powerlite caliper is radial mounted as opposed to the lug mounted style on the AZC kit's Wilwood Billet Dynalite, as the regulations allow only one mounting bracket they could not be adapted to the AZC brackets, you would have to manufacture your own mounting bracket from go. Also, the non-handbrake Powerlites in the Wilwood catalogue indicate their fitment on rotors only up to 11" - the AZC kit rotors are 12.2". I don't know if that will create problems but I personally don't want to spend $600 to find out. I'm going with Woza.

Whenever I enquire about Wilwoods everybody mentions that vehicles fitted with Wilwood calipers without piston seals cannot be certified in Australia. I read the ADR on brakes and all it states is the components should be able to resist corrosion, I would surmise the dust seals might prevent wear and scoring on poorly maintained vehicles but would not be a significant factor in preventing corrosion.

I spoke with the engineers at the RTA today and they have never heard of seal-less calipers being unsuitable and there are no regulations related to it. Sure it might aid longevity but being careful when you change pads that you cleaned the exposed piston before pushing them back into the caliper body would achieve the same outcome.

Come on guys/gals, order up big on Woza's bracket and the price will be lower. Remind your partner that it's Fathers Day on Sunday.

Note: I have no association either privately or professionally with Woza.

... Are these the right ones?

950-120-2280

950-120-2281

C

The rear calipers I got from AZC are both #120-8606. You might get lower prices at other suppliers but it will probably be cheaper all up if you just get one package posted from the AZC.

To my knowledge there is no such thing as seafreight these days for items like this, it's all airfreight. I paid around $350 about 12 months ago but fuel has gone up a bit since then so it might be higher.

Hey Charlie Boy....

Just checked out the Spot Caliper boxes for you....the part numbers you have are correct, except my boxes dont have the '950' out front - they simply read...

120-2280

120-2281

1.62" Piston Diameter

.81" Rotor Width.

Firstly....please be under no illusions that its going to be at least 6 to 8 weeks (maybe longer) before my initial set are fitted and working. The main reason for this is that my time is extremely limited at the moment due to work commitments (does anyone know about the mining boom here in WA ?). Secondly, I wont be doing a bulk run untill I have actually tested them on my car under normal driving conditions. Im sure you can understand that they need to be right before they hit the streets.  :D

My last problem, is that I will need to borrow a set of wheels from someone so I can actually take the car for a test run ! haha.

Anyway, feel free to keep the pressure on me to get it done quicker....I'll do my best to speed the process up !

Woza.

Peter....

Thanks for making me/us aware that there are different part numbers out there. I think just to be sure your caklipers with diff part numbers will definately fit my brackets, I  think it may be a good idea to get a few of the key dimensions from you and compare with mine. Ill send you an email tomorrow with a diagram of what I need.

Wozadoodledandy !

Hey Charlie Boy....

Just checked out the Spot Caliper boxes for you....the part numbers you have are correct, except my boxes dont have the '950' out front - they simply read...

120-2280

120-2281

1.62" Piston Diameter

.81" Rotor Width.

Thank's Woza I'll order those from AZC ;D

The reason I'm in such a hurry is that I'm moving back to the UK with my Z's in Nov so was hoping to get the car finished by then. Worst case you'll have to post the parts to the UK :(

C

My apologies Chuck. I misread your request and thought you were after the catalogue number of the main rear calipers.

I can confirm the number of the parking brake calipers are 120-2281 & 120-2280.

Damn ... these senior moments are getting more and more frequent!

sorry to sound a bit less than intelligent, but I will also be ordering the brake upgrade, and was wondering what is wrong with using the hydraulic lock as halfway down the page (http://www.arizonazcar.com/brake.html) ($29 US)

Because it's not considerd a parking brake for a Road worthy, It's also impossible to use when your driving in traffic.

On another note I sent an email to Dave at AZC asking if I could order the rear kit and mechanical calipers and no relpy yet. I think he's run for the hill's at the very mention of mechanical calipers and more than likley won't sell to us with the knowlage that we are going to modify his kit. So I would suggest people get the mechanical calipers from else where and not mention this mod to him :'(

C

mm indeed, if you read his FAQ page, he gets a bit shirty at the mention of a handbrake, like "use a brick"

Im sure it has been covered more than once before, but what would happen if you used his front brake upgrade, and then a conversion to disc via 280zx/300zx parts.

You could of course then upgrade the rear brakes like they were still on the original car with cross drilled/slotted etc...