Sign in to follow this  
nizm0zed

Nizm0zed's coupe

Looks geat mate!,

and as for paint ive heard in this topic that spay a dust coat first then heavyer/heavyer,

Although just from spraying silvers and a few metallics at work so far it seems the opposite, Who know's i suppose all depends on gun/Spraypainter and paint,

My problem with heavyer coats was it was leaving a dark lines from overlaping, But a quick dust coat from far away with the fan almost full (Controls the Thickness of line yor spraying) And the air pressure quite high also, left a perfect finish, Now just to figure out how to stop crap falling into the 2k while its drying.....

Anyway just my oppinions Never take anything i say as Gospel :P

- Michael

yea, was talking to one of the blokes at work today, he was a panel beater for quite a while, and he was telling me that the light, then heavy coats was fine for solid colours, but with a metallic you need to open your fan right up, and go in all sorts of random directions, the reason for that is that if you follow the traditional route of parralell lines, the metallic flake can settle down into the paint while its wet, and will leave train tracks in the finished surface.

makes sence to me.

im going to attempt a guard, or bonnet, and see how i go, if im not happy with it, i'll get someone who knows what they are doing to do the whole car.

more today, and over the last weekend.

painted the rack, and put it in, with all new bushes, and put the motor back in.

I polished up the lines on the side of the motor, its really starting to come together now.

the turbo will need to be removed, i need to weld a 90 degree bend to the outlet, and polish up the front cover.

20643119046_9fef5606cd_b.jpg02122008165 by Alan Hartcher, on Flickr

20669394665_d51b90cb1a_b.jpg02122008166 by Alan Hartcher, on Flickr

20643111426_6251c8b390_b.jpg02122008168 by Alan Hartcher, on Flickr

20669383745_55289bcd17_b.jpg02122008171 by Alan Hartcher, on Flickr

thanks everyone.

Its good, i get bits done, and its motivation to keep going with it.

not many photos this weekend, just finished the wiring on the drivers side of the motor, and made a mounting bracket for the heater pipe.

most of the current work is going on under the dash, on the passenger side.

thats where my gel cell battery is going to sit. so lots of planning and making of mounting brackets.

well, got a bit more done than i was expecting.

painted the bonnet, and im quite happy with the results.

20048787633_ff0c393394_b.jpg07122008178 by Alan Hartcher, on Flickr

20669745465_f401d17294_b.jpg07122008179 by Alan Hartcher, on Flickr

i also spent some time prepping up the drivers guard, needed a little 'fine trimming'

Got some FG headlight buckets too, so i'll have to mould them together for a smoooooooooooth look 8)

Hey allan whats that bonnet in the background!!

Mate I see your got two wheels as well !!! The best of both worlds (stay upright brother)

Car's looking great keep it up ,she,s looking real nice.

Going to give mine a coat of paint over christmass.

pauly

yea, got myself a kawasaki Vn250

eliminator250v_studio.jpg

too many toys ;D

the bonnet is off my gemini, that scoop is inspired by the A9X torry scoop, but a bit lower profile, hand made out of metal, and grafted to the origional gem bonnet. lots of work.

well, bought some bits while the boss wasnt looking :P

20481789218_ded9c0f033_b.jpg15122008182 by Alan Hartcher, on Flickr

20660571082_bfff64e07d_b.jpg15122008183 by Alan Hartcher, on Flickr

I got a bunch of pipework too, and some silicone bends.

the intercooler will need to be modded to fit the way i want though.

as you can see, its about as big as its going to get, in the available space.

the core size is 600x300x78mm

I am going to get tight radius 90 degree bends welded onto it, so that they protrude through the holes in the front, and into the bay, the silicone hoses will join onto it there.

i thought long and hard about that one, and i think its the best way to go. it should limit the amount of silicon joins needed, and keep a nice clean look.

i also started on my custom inlet manifold.

20481786948_04e6a295d2_b.jpg15122008184 by Alan Hartcher, on Flickr

there was a casting line along the top of the runners, that i used as my guide to cut it out straight.

i had to do that one by hand, and it sucked :(

i'll weld on some new runners, and a plenum, and big throttle body.

i would love to (and THAT one was the initial plan) and maybe down the track i'll make a second one and do that, but for this initial one, its going to be basic runners into a round plenum.

my wife and i are expecting a baby girl in may, so i am trying to get as much of the big expensive stuff done as soon as possible, before the handbrake stops my rampant spending ;D

anyways, did a bot of work sanding a bucket, and blending it to the guard, so while that was drying, i finished off mouting the battery.

needed to make up all the brackets to hold the battery in place. later, i'll work out where the ECU, relays and Alarm will sit.

20483291249_624288da81_b.jpg16122008186 by Alan Hartcher, on Flickr

jeebus, dropped down to the 15th place, guess i better update huh.

ok.

did a bit of joining almost a week ago, and attached the headlight bucket to the guard, smoothed it all off, and dropped some primer on it.

Bit of a test fit, dummied up with all the other bits there.

20048944223_88a3068714_b.jpg20122008192 by Alan Hartcher, on Flickr

that looked pretty good, so today (after lunch with the inlaws) i got into it again, saneded the primer back and dropped some paint.

20481882050_ba23f56f2f_b.jpg25122008196 by Alan Hartcher, on Flickr

(btw, thats not a rum and coke on the roof, its a motivational beverage ;D)

im quite happy with how the paint is coming out, so i think i'll keep painting it panel by panel, and maybe just get a spraypainter mate to do a final coat, and clear once its all together, so it is smooth.

Its good practice for me anyway, and i can claim that i painted it myself ;)

Its only acrylic, so any imperfections (read, F&^kups that i do) can be easily worked out of the paint.

I have recently found out that the megasquirt ECU i have is set up for fuel only, so i'll have fun redoing that for full control, i have found a sweet spot that is hidden, but easily accesable for the laptop cable, pictures when i get to it.

Wow man, Some really cool stuff going on at your end especially the smoothing of the gap between guard and light bucket i have never seen it before, And would be cool to see in a meet sometime during the year,

Overall Very nice mate Well Done!

I painted my car myself as well. Best feeling in the world when you buff it up and you can see reflections. Love the fact that you got rid of the ridge between headlight bucket and quarter. Also Looks like you got rid of the aperture for the side repeaters ( not too knowledgable about zeds perhaps yours didnt have them from factory ) anyway thumbsup. Do keep us posted about the megasquirt as well. Really interested in that part of the build.

yea, being 240z fibreglass guards, they didnt have the indicator openings, just some fine marks where they would have been cut out, so i just smoothed the marks off, and left them closed.

It'll add to the overall smooth look.

i bought a new toy for the zed today, im friggin stoked.

Race-port.jpg

and the best bits? because my car only needs to comply to ADR27 i can vent to atmosphere 8)

Oh, and it only cost me $200  8)

i think it is the age of the car. Here in south Australia pre 1973 cars don't have to apply to pollution laws.

None the less i will be plumbing mine back because i dint want to attract to much attention