Speedhut gauge faces

stevo_gj

I found a few threads on Hybridz talking about Speedhut gauge faces. They are basically faces that install instead of your original ones that have backlit lights instead of relying on the green bulbs of our gauges. A group buy was done in the past and Speedhut have the patterns for our gauges already, I am currently in the process of ordering a set for myself except with metric units on them. They have told me that it is easy for them to do this, I just sent them pictures of my gauges so they can be sure its all correct.

Here is the post I found all this on : http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121339&page=2

The speedhut gauges are very customisable with colours and designs, but I am most impressed with what one member has done in keeping the gauges looking as original as possible. I'll attach the photos he put in the thread.

The poster answered a couple questions:

do the lights you use plug into the existing plugs?

no, the lighting is built into the new gauge overlays. I disconnected all of the old lightbulbs and wired the controller into the old lighting circuit.

Would it be very difficult for a electronic newbie to install these gauge faces? I am thinking of getting some now, they look really good.

its very simple. The hardest part is either taking the dash out to get the gauges out, or taking the gauges out of the dash while its installed. Once you have the gauges, these just slip over the needles and plug into their own harness. That harness is connected with 2 wires.EDIT:If you really wanted to do some work, you could get some illuminated needels out of a newer car, and modify them to work in your gauges. Just a thought.

Nope, those aren't before and after shots, those are Night/day shots. Now the drawback is that the needle becomes very hard to see, as you can see below, but I believe this would be easy to counter if it was painted in glow in the dark paint.

Anyway, hope someone found this interesting  :)

Steve

Edit: Here is the speedhut site where you can customise the gauges: http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_dial_description-auto-Datsun-auto_number-479.htm

post-931-144023494959_thumb.jpg

post-931-144023494963_thumb.jpg

Will do mate, also posted up a link to the speedhut site where they have a little tool you can use to customise your gauges. You can customise them to whatever color combination, different coloured lights, decals you might desire.

those ones above are using EL sheet with printed face guage on them.

same stuff as they had few years ago for lancers 200sx wrx and commonwhores. also like the Jap high end gauges like Apexi HKS and Defi.

the EL sheet can be sourced local but its very exy. about $100 for A4 sheet.

than you need an invereter which is another $50. than you need to print the face cut out the holes etc.........................

yanks are fortunate enough to have el fairly cheap.

i wasnt prepared to experiment with $400+ of EL to do the gauges. also EL does have a life limit.

leds are lot more reliable but lot more difficult to setup.

i need to take a good pic as its very difficult to take a decent pic of running guages at nite. it overdevelops some areas and under the others. which is not representative of what they actualy look. check my galery i may have some early development stage pics.

but here is a dodgy pic of the gauges. red needles kinda disapear with red backlight.these pics are still in development stages as the indicator arrows and clock and warning lamps havent been sorted out yet.

post-205-144023494972_thumb.jpg

so regarding using an illuminated needle from a newer car, can it be done? whats involved?

I pulled the guages apart on my last car, an s15 spec R, to see if i could change the colour of the bulbs and I ended up accidentally moving the guage range of my temp guage up, so that a middle/normal reading was 3/4 to the red, and if it had overheated it would have shown up off the guage chart.

SO therefore I am wary about trying it again...

in case u move the needle just move it back simple as lol nissan is great they have small markings where the needle should sit

ive done countlees face replacemnts and led backlight on s14 and s13 and some other cars. recalibrating is easy if the same scale is used.

what is involved its pain in the backside.if u not into electronics and pcb design than its not recomended. but there are cheaper and easier ways of doing thing. maybe not as flash but still lot better.

simply by replacing the needle wont do the trick.

i replaced the complete units. ie my speedo mechanism is of a n15 pulsar while the rpm is r32 item same as other gauges.

Hey rbz260, good to know you've had some experience with these things. If I get stuck when I install these gauges I'll PM you for ideas  ;D

What do you think about painting the needles with some kind of glow in the dark paint as a solution to the problem? I was thinking that glow in the dark paint requires 'charging' and that around midnight would probably be dark again. I expected self lit needles to be a pain like you said and won't be going down that road.

I'm not even sure where to buy glow in the dark paint  ???

Those gauges look hot btw  ;)

yeah no probs. i was playing around with gauges and converting them back in 2000. few cars that i did VL commodore complete new facia, supra ma70, Mr2, 180sx/silvia, 200sx s1 and s2, exa/ET turbo,pulsars, lancers, falcons, etc.... but the Z one is most extensive i ever did.

painitng the needles in some reflective paint may work. usualy the glow in the dark ones are yellow. and when normal they have this yellow tinge to it.  but i know you can get some reflective paints. ive been thinking maybe it is possible just to replace the needle and than have a led or a lamp position correctly to give its glow

i tried taking some pics but i need a better camera and better operator. bit better than above pics but still not 100% representative what it actualy looks like.

having a black face with white numbering is lot easier than white face ones. idealy with white face having an EL sheet behind it will be the best.

but i wanted the multiple colour changing ones. ie can set it up that all the gauges go red if any of the limits are exceeded. still havent set it up but i like playing tricks on people at night.

as gauges glow a fair bit and i usualy have it on blue or white. while waiting on the lights and i notice someone looking at the gauges than i starts switching in other colours slowly than fast backwards and forwards. the facial they have afterwards is worth all the hassles i had with these gauges. should be on funniest home video.

post-205-144023495022_thumb.jpg

post-205-144023495032_thumb.jpg

post-205-144023495043_thumb.jpg

post-205-144023495054_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Gauge faces arrived today from Speedhut.

Cost me $150 shipped. I'll take a few before/after shots when I'm installing them and if I can I'll even do a little guide. But looking at them now I can see that its going to be pretty damn easy to do, theres not much to them.