Sign in to follow this  
reverendzed

Crunching 2nd.

After my recent manual conversion everything has been great except i'm getting a real 'crunch' when changing back into second, and unless I get the revs down it doesn't want to go in! could these be the syncros on that gear?

Rev.

Thread Split.

Yes Dave, 2nd gear syncro will be worn.

It is 'possible' to take the box apart & turn the ring around, but it's generally better to fit a new one.

SW Motorsport sell new, genuine Nissan ones for around the $150ea mark.

In the mean time Dave, perhaps you should lean to double-de-clutch? ;D

Sounds like an old girlfriend of mine.

Try to round 2nd base/ gear and PoW nuthin is goin in.

Do the simple stuff first an try an additive (Lube)..... Maybe thats what i should ave done :o

Additive! Ewww...

Oil additives are generally friction modifiers, & can do more damage than good.

All you need to use is a high quality light weight gearbox oil, in manual gearbox’s.

Scoot, try 'Redline' HT ATF in your slush-o-matic ;)

Rev

You may also need a new synco coupling sleeve as these wear as well........you can source both coupling sleeves and syncro rings locally from LM in Moorabbin (I think you called in on him recently and he looked at your triples ??)

Additive! Ewww...

Oil additives are generally friction modifiers, & can do more damage than good.

All you need to use is a high quality light weight gearbox oil, in manual gearbox’s.

Scoot, try 'Redline' HT ATF in your slush-o-matic ;)

i but some graphite paste in mine..(rb 5 speed) cause when they are cold they are a bitch to get in first... worked pretty well .... but it aint going to change the crunch!!! box out rev.. you got away with it this long..

Yeah, I kinda guessed that the whole syncro thing was the problem, I'll keep it crunching for a while until I sort out some other stuff, like getting my Miki's running sweet! thanks for the heads up guys.

Rev. :)

I drove mine crunching 2nd for a couple of years and then picked up a 5 speed 280zx box for $80.00 as i was'nt in a rush.

Sulio

I drove mine crunching 2nd for a couple of years and then picked up a 5 speed 280zx box for $80.00 as i was'nt in a rush.

Sulio

Yeah I pulled that box apart the syncro's are trashed and the coupling sleeve was rooted. I think it needs new syncro's on all gears. Gonna be expensive to get that box working again, but at least it is the right ratio's. (260z box)