Steve's Front Air Dam

stevo_gj

• Moderators

Stevo, would love to find out how the fitment goes when you get to that stage.. I have one of those fiberglass ones and that didn't fit up that well. Seems they are as good as the car they get the mold from!

Well I received it yesterday and spent most of the day mucking around under the front of my car making it fit. Overall I am very pleased with the results and will post pictures tomorrow night or in the next couple of days. Finally my Zed has the shape I have always wanted  ;D

Hahaha, i got mine from warren yesterday as well, its exellent qaulity and looks fantastic, ill post up some pics i took while installing it.

We ended up taking apart the parker light assemblys and cleaning the hell out of them to make the front end look all nice and new.

She goes in to the shop on friday to have it sprayed :)

Take some tomorrow if I can, got some progress shots but won't post them until I can show a finished product  ;D

S30Mike you're leaving it on the car to get it sprayed? Or are you getting the whole thing painted at once?

I was going to clean the indicator assembly as well but I ran out of time  :P

I ended up doing the whole thing with my mates dad and got him a sixer of extra dry for his trouble.

Can't wait to replace my old avatar!

• 2 weeks later...

Stevo,

Have you made any further progress with the painting and fitting. I just sat down this sarvo and looked at dry fitting mine and thought there was a little too much flex in places, particulary the flat surface in the middle has a few woops and bows in it. Did you add any additional bracing?

Cheers, Crowe

Stevo,

Have you made any further progress with the painting and fitting. I just sat down this sarvo and looked at dry fitting mine and thought there was a little too much flex in places, particulary the flat surface in the middle has a few woops and bows in it. Did you add any additional bracing?

Cheers, Crowe

My front bar is a different style (similar to the Adelaide Z Car one earlier in this thread) and to get it to fit properly and firmly we made a brace that goes from the little piece that the horn mounts on to the middle of the front bar.  We also made braces that go from the inner guards to the bottom outer edges of the bar.  This may not be necessary in most cases but the mold mine came from was a bit dodgey so it was the only way we could get it to sit right.

Hey Crowe

I have mine fitted on the car already and I am driving around with it to get used to having it before I paint it. I didn't think it would fit up so nicely until I actually installed it and I'm quite happy with the result. I don't have a camera to take photos at the moment but I will when I don't have exams so close.

I can't get it painted until I install a bracket to brace the centre bottom of the air dam, its got a lot of flex there and I don't want to scratch the paint trying to do it afterwards.

Steve

Thanks Stevo,

I found another post where some guys did some additional bracing, i will follow their lead and do similar. What are you going to do about your tow hooks (if anything). I noticed today with the spoiler added to the front the tow hooks will be inaccessible. Any ideas?

Some fitting photos attached for those interested

post-135-144023502479_thumb.jpg

post-135-144023502487_thumb.jpg

post-135-144023502494_thumb.jpg

Fitment looks good mate. I don't have any ideas about the tow hooks, not sure if I'll get anything done with regards to it...

New GF will probably eat up a bit more of my car time/money as well so I may not be able to finish the job til I come back from the mines over christmas. I'll still get some photos of the car with the black air dam on it when I can.

I noticed today with the spoiler added to the front the tow hooks will be inaccessible. Any ideas?

If you look closely on the passenger side in this pic:

resizeofpicture0240xa.jpg

we made a tow hook that bolts onto the the original tow point and sticks out above the front bar on the passenger side.  Could be an option?

Thanks Scando, I had better think about that now before i paint it, especially if i have to cut a new hole for it. Can you give me any more details on the hook you used, materials and size etc.

Using the same bolt holes as the orginal hook means it will be quite long and maybe a little filmsy to protrude out past the spolier?

Look up Mayhems gallery or build thread. he has a different sort of tow hook. Here is a cams tow hook on ebay that can be bolted the chassis frame rail. I am not sure id it is the same as Mayhems but looks very similar.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RACE-CAR-TOW-HOOK-SUIT-RACE-RALLY-DRIFT-RACING-V8_W0QQitemZ190262225260QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190262225260&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

post-930-144023502504_thumb.jpg

post-930-144023502509_thumb.jpg

Can you give me any more details on the hook you used, materials and size etc.

The hook is just a piece of steel rod (about 8-10mm diameter) heated in the middle with an oxy and then bent 180 degrees.  Welded the ends to a flat peice of steel and drilled a couple of holes in it to bolt it to the car.

Hope that makes sense  :-X

It's plenty strong enough to tow the car with.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

Just to finalise this thread, here are the pictures of the air dam currently. I will get it painted red in the coming months at my friends workshop.

IMGP0084.jpg

IMGP0082.jpg

IMGP0083.jpg

I had my mechanic make a brace to firm up the centre of the air dam.  It's basically a plate running hidden behind the air dam.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I have just ordered one of these spoilers from Warren at Allzed..........i assume they are the urathane air dam that have some give in them (flexible as opposed the rock solid fibre glass spoliers that can bend guards if you clip a curb) ???

Also how is the fitment.......do they require much work to fit ??

cheers

Alan

They fit quite well but you are responsible for drilling the holes in the right places :) Its a 2 person job with some packers to help get all the levels right before you start drilling.

They definitely need extra bracing though as discussed earlier in the post.