Steve's Front Air Dam

stevo_gj

Hey guys,

Just got a quote from Allzparts for 400 for a PU vented front air dam (like the orange one attached), and 30 for shipping to Brisbane. This is somewhat more than I expected!

I've also emailed Len Brennan, but haven't received a reply yet. Any other avenues I should explore with regards to finding one?

I'm also thinking that I'll get this new air dam painted black because trying to match up to my 30 year old red paint will be quite a hassle, any thoughts on this? The photo of my car attached has the black BRE style front spoiler.

Cheers,

Steve

post-931-14402349434_thumb.jpg

post-931-144023494345_thumb.jpg

The black will look good especially with the black stripe down the side of the car.

Red could work, Even if the reds did not match perfectly the spoiler is seperate enough from the rest of the car for it not to be noticable. It is also broken up by the bumper which will also make it less noticable.

Hi stevo a place in sydney called UP Garage (02)9829 3353 has a carbon front spoiler with brake ducts for $680 might look better than the other your thinking about. www.upgarage.com.au

mr240z paul  8)

post-828-144023494392_thumb.jpg

Cheers hunter, yeah I think I'll stick with the black, kind of like Sulio's look. (if I had a dollar for every time I had heard that on this forum...)

That carbon spoiler looks good mr240z but I don't know if its necessary buying carbon fibre. $400 for a PU one had me very surprised I was hoping for around the $300 mark ... However, I have heard CF is easier to repair than PU or fibreglass, and saves you buying a whole new air dam.  I was under the impression that CF is popular for racing. Don't get me wrong I'll spend the money but I'm not sure if its necessary for a daily driver?

Anyone got any opinions on Poly urethane vs Carbon Fibre vs Fibreglass for car body kits?

All I know is that Fibreglass is cheap.  :-X I googled the differences but I kept getting vague allusions and no technical articles explaining which is better (except for one company that makes CF body kits recommending them because they're easy to repair)

Steve

Steve

for a daily driver stick to Poly...the CF is great but unless youve got the extra $ probably not worth it. Id prefer the poly as Ive believe its a little more resilient to stone chips from road crap where as the F-glass is a little more brittle.

Also red on yours would look sweet. take off your fuel lid and take it to a decent paint shop for matching...you can get a 400mm aerosol can matched for around the $30 mark these days if your feeling a bit lazy.. 8)

Fiberglass may not quite have the strength of CF but it also doesn't have the price tag.  Fiberglass is an easy fix if you chip it, scratch it or smash it in two! I think I've done the lot and my front spoiler though repaired twice looks like it is brand new!

Rev.

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone got any opinions on Poly urethane vs Carbon Fibre vs Fibreglass for car body kits?

Polyurethane will take much more of a beating than fibreglass - like scraping on speed humps, crappy driveways etc...  My standard poly front spoiler on my alfa has gotten hooked on the bank on the side of a gravel road with a small amount of speed, and all it did was pull the screws through - didn't stuff the holes or anything, just neatly popped them through.  Fibreglass one would likely have exploded.

Kangaroos at 80km/h tend to break them though.....  (Wasn't me, was before I got the car)

Hahaha I'll bet they do, damn Mobs. (just went to trivia night and learned that a mob is the name of a group of kangaroos. riveting...)

Len Brennan never ended up replying to my email, which is a shame. I don't actually know what the PU front air dams from allzparts look like. I kind of wrote it off as being overpriced but now I see that PU is a better option I don't mind spending the bit extra. Can anyone link a pic of the airdam they sell?

Alfa motor sports seem to have cheap front air dams but the photos they sent me (same as the ones in the thread lurch linked) aren't the type of air dam that I want.

Cheers hunter, yeah I think I'll stick with the black, kind of like Sulio's look. (if I had a dollar for every time I had heard that on this forum...)

That carbon spoiler looks good mr240z but I don't know if its necessary buying carbon fibre. $400 for a PU one had me very surprised I was hoping for around the $300 mark ... However, I have heard CF is easier to repair than PU or fibreglass, and saves you buying a whole new air dam.  I was under the impression that CF is popular for racing. Don't get me wrong I'll spend the money but I'm not sure if its necessary for a daily driver?

All I know is that Fibreglass is cheap.  :-X I googled the differences but I kept getting vague allusions and no technical articles explaining which is better (except for one company that makes CF body kits recommending them because they're easy to repair)

Steve

Steve,

Adelaide Z cars have same or similar if i remember correctly (i see why ppl use IIRC) for 280$ new i think their ph # is (08) 8384 8748 or look them up to check. Speak to nick (enjoys a haggle) and tell him nathan told you to ring (the one who makes his air deflectors!!! ;)). Ask about the one hanging up in his reception area. he also can courier it straight to you at what it costs him!!! pretty helpfull in that respect,

im looking at getting one myself, although for an extra penny the CF one looks treat and with the 2 colour themes im probly going with, on my build the CF would slip right on in and look right @ home.

nat0

Thanks Nato!

I'll definitely give him a ring. The number you linked was correct, I just had a look at their site.

So you reckon its about the same as the one on that orange Z in my original post? You didn't mention what it was made out of, but for $280 I'm thinking FG.

Again thanks, if I can't find it in PU (assuming the one AdelaideZC makes is FG) then I'll go through these guys for sure  ;D

If AdelaideZC's is PU then I'll buy it this week!

• 1 month later...

Well I bought the PU Airdam that Allzparts sells, just waiting for it to arrive now.

I want to paint it to match my car, but I know its going to be hard to match 30 year old red paint. With this in mind I'm going to get a professional to do it. My mate reckons I'll pay up to $500 getting the paint and then finding someone who'll do a good job on it.

That seemed like a bit much so I wanted to ask you guys what that job should be worth?

Can anyone recommend a company to get it done?

Thanks,

Steve

I just got some yellow paint matched on my 240Z. It cost $85 for a litre or so of paint enough to paint my bonnet and spoiler, this price included primer and thinners, I did get a discount as one of the blokes that works in the shop is part of the Tasmanian Datsun Owners Club.

I just took panel off my car and they took a few hours to colour match it. You could probably take an inspection hatch off.

$500 for primer, thinners, colour matched paint and clear coat is probably on the topend of the price range.

email Spectrum Car Paints spectrumpaints@bigpond.com for a comparison. It is where I got my paint from in Tassie.

I used 4H Smash Repairs (3375 5593) in Darra to get some rust repaired in my door sill.  They cut out the old metal, rust proofed inside, welded in new metal and finished including matching the very old paint (orange).  Can't tell where new paint ends and old begins.  Great job for $550.  

You can have a look at it on Sunday.  

I assume if he can do all of this work for this price he an match and paint your air dam for less.  

Steve, want to learn how to paint it yourself?  I did the headlight scoops, bumper cover and spoiler on the ZX myself.  I took a large flake of paint from elsewhere to Protech in Archerfield and they matched it reasonably well.  They would manage better with say an inspection lid.

I've got all the gear here if you want to come over one weekend.  I've done whole body resprays on an MGB, Morris 8 and a Mini.  It's not hard if you have the space, prep well and can remember how to mix the paint and  set up the gun...  ???

Cheers,

Mike