What do people think of these wheels?

Zeddophile

I think they look good. Looking at the add, the rears are 8" wide. If your making up adapters you'll prolly just be able to just get them to fit in the rear with stock suspension. When I ordered my adapters I sat my rims on the car to see how they would sit and measured thickness needed for adapter to be. You can do this by temporarily extending the studs with long bolts and adding metal to space out the wheel and then drop the car on its wheels to see how it sits and what your clearances are. Then just measure how much metal you had to "packed" and make adapters to that size.

Sulio

I don't understand why everyone keeps saying that coilovers take up less space than stock suspension - standard suspension basically is a coilover, its just not adjustable.... can someone explain to me what the hell everyones on about with their 'coilover conversions', and why it makes a difference?

As far as the rears being 8" wide, I'm at standard height, so I think I'd have to go pretty close to bottoming out to hit the gaurds......

*EDIT* just had a look under the back of my car, I think I understand the reasoning behind the coilover conversion - the spring seat must sit higher with the average coilover conversion, allowing the tyre to clear it, yes? Theres a possible fix for that, which would involve smaller overall (than stock) diameter tyres...... But I want to get slightly larger overall diameter tyres to make the gaurds look more full.... Hmmm, I can forsee King Spring Superlows and cutting and rewelding of spring seats........

Yer thats right Ben, the spring seat or perch is where the tyre rubs. From my undersanding apart from the perch possibly being higher up alot of the springs used for these coil over set ups are smaller spring diameters which could also allow more room even if the spring seat was lower. I know from experience on my car that I could not go wider than a 225 on the rear with stock suspension with the 7" superlites I had before. With that size tyre it left about 5mm room on both sides of the tyre between both guard and tyre on one side and spring perch/seat and tyre on the other side. Looking at hybridZ I've read some of the US guys going up to 275 from memory with coil overs.

Yer a nice combo with 7" fronts and 8" rears is 205 tyres for the front and 225 for the rear. I think if you lip your rear guards you'll get the 8"s in their.

You need to work out correct profile to keep both front and rear tyres walls looking about the same. With 15" wheels I found 205x60 and 225x55 to work well. Not sure what it would be with 16 inch, obviously a lower profile for both.

I think before you commit to 16" wheels have a look around at what tyre availabilities are like in the size you need. THe only reason I say this is I've heard alot of people complain about the limitations in terms of tyre availability for 16" wheels. These comments got me to go in favour of 17"'s.

Sulio

well, I know i can get most sporty tyres (including Pirelli P6000s) in 225/50 R16, which is close to stock diameter....... And that wouldn't bother me having that up the front either....

If I wanted to fill the gaurds more, it'd be a 225/55 R16, which puts the speedo 4% out (ie reads 100, actual speed 104)...

Zedophile,

Have you thought about checking out the Superlites in 16". You can order them in 16x7 for the front and 16x8 for the rear and in correct offset. The best part is you'll prolly get em for about $225 new per wheel! I still have'nt seen a Z with these wheels in 16". The best thing is you can check out a few of the US cars on classicZ.com with the 16" Panasports to see how it would look seeing they are so similar in style.

I used to have these wheels on my car in 15" and I really liked them. The only issue is they're a little common on Z's but not in 16".

Another point in regards to going this way is I beleive this particualr wheel is coming out in 16"x10 later this year. This would give you the option of going the flared look if you wanted to at a later point. You could keep the 8's and put them on the front and just buy the 10's for the rear!

Anyway just another option for ya!

Sulio

• 3 weeks later...

sweet, a good wheel rim combo for those rims would be.

205/55/16 on the 16x7 fronts and 225/50/16 on the 16x8 rear. this will be the same same (well almost front will be 2mm taller total) rolling diameter as the stock 260z tyre 195SR14. These size tyres are a good fit on those rims (I used to have 205/55/15 on a 15x7 and 225/50/15 on 15x8 but they were not wide enough so they were swapped for a genuine Z-Gnose. Attached is a pic of 15's with this combo.

What are the offset of those rims? +20? if you are using stock suspension the max back space is 4.5" so if these have more you will need to run a spacer to give you 4.5" of back space (the rears you can get away with 4.75" if I recall correctly) So that makes +12 on the fronts and +6 on the rear.

The rims I had were 15x7 -6 and 15x8-12 (photos on with them installed on mates 240z stock suspension)

post-104-144023469255_thumb.jpg

post-104-14402346926_thumb.jpg

Not 100% sure on the offset, but being that they came off a 180sx I'm guessing they'll be in the region of +35 to +40. Was planning to run bolt on adaptors for them anyways, so I'm not stressed.

Was actually going to run 225/45/16 all round, which keeps speedo pretty much right in reference to the stock tyre size as placarded in my glovebox, or maybe 225/50/16 all round if I feel that it needs just that little extra filling in the gaurds. I dunno about running smaller tyres on the front, I don't think it will be too heavy on the steering with 225s - its already got lighter steering on 195s than my alfa had with 185s on!

Anyway, thats much later, so i'll worry about it when I need to. First I need to stop splashing money on non essentials and actually finish the body :P

Arrived today, and some suprises - some expected, but pleasant nonetheless, others quite unexpected.

All rims are very clean, apart from a little dirt here and there, absolutely no gutter rash anywhere.

They appear to be genuine Volks, with Rays Engineering on every single bolt around the rim, and also stamped on the rim itself - also with nice little metal valve caps, which probably won't last long in melbourne, might take them off and put normal black plastic ones on.

The centre centre cap screws on, and is made of metal, although the bit that actually covers wheelnuts is plastic (Rays engineering stamped in there too!)

Tyres are Yokohama Aspec dB, look quite decent, although unfortunately they are all 205/55 - 16 (On 8inch rims, thats a little odd!)

Offset is +25 on both the 7 inch and the 8 inch rims, which wasn't as massive as I expected, so adaptors will be about half as thick as I thought.

The biggest surprise though, is that the fake rivets are not fake. These are actually two piece rims! I nearly fell over, it was very unexpected.

post-42-144023469756_thumb.jpg

post-42-144023469763_thumb.jpg

post-42-144023469772_thumb.jpg

they aren't that light, actually - i weighed a 16x8 last night, it came out at 17kg..... :cry:

I think fitting will be a while off, since I'm going to leave the stock wheels on until its painted... I may get impatient at some stage and bolt them on though :twisted:

*EDIT* just reweighed the 16x8, got 16 kilos. Then weighed the spare off the zed, which has a 205/70-14 on it - its 17 kilos!!!! So with the 225/50-16 on, i shouldn't have gained much if any weight at the back - maybe half a kilo a wheel... The 16x7 comes in at 15.5 kilos, so should be a little lighter than the stock rims, although the fact that they have 195/65-14s on might be it a bit closer.