Rota RB wheels coming!

BenZed

There have been a few posts about the Rota RB wheels, which are similar to a Watanabe but with an edge on the spoke like a Panasport. I have a shipment of these coming which should be here in the first week of September.

Here are the sizes and prices:

15x7 +4 offset    $179 each  :o

15x8 +4 offset    $199 each  :D

16x7 +4 offset    $219 each  ;D

16x8 +4 offset    $239 each  :-*

17x8.5 +4 offset  $259 each  8)

17x9.0 -13 offset $289 each  :)

17x9.5 -19 offset  $299 each  ;)

All of these wheels are finished in 'Steel Grey' with a PCD of 4x114.3 and a 73.1mm hub.

The price is landed in Australia, including GST. You can pick up if you live in Sydney, or I can ship them anywhere in Australia for $20 a wheel.

If you would like to be notified when they arrive PM me and I'll add your name to the list. I won't be taking deposits (gets too messy when people don't pay the balance), but if you want to guarantee yourself a set I will accept full payment in advance.

Either the 15s or 16s will fit on a Zed with standard guards if you use 7-inch front and 8-inch rear. The offset is right, I will check fitment on the big Zed front hubs when they arrive and post more pics.

If you have flares then 17x8.5 front and 17x9.5 rear would look awesome  8)

post-853-144023492481_thumb.jpg

Hi

Nice wheels do you think you will be getting any of the RBR wheels as I want to get a set of them?

Thanks

Ash

Can't find RBR on their website, do you have a pic?

here is a shot of the RBr's... I didnt do the crappy blur zoom on the silver one...  :-\

How often do you see you doing this sort of thing ? I ask because later in the year i am looking at some RBr's and your costing is better than what I can get from 18racing. 

post-582-144023492486_thumb.jpg

post-582-144023492491_thumb.jpg

Erm, what's the difference there? My wheels are pretty much the same as in your first pic, only a slightly darker colour. I will re-order as I run out of wheels, but to get the right price I had to order a lot of wheels, so they should last a while.

I think Rota are in the process of finalising the RB-R in 17" sizes, (ie, 17x9.5 and 17x8.5 or 9.0). I think the RB-R is a little bit lighter and the offset difference is made up in the dish and not on the inside of the rim, (ie notice the dish is the same on both 9.5 and 8.5 rims).

You can read all about it here.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=123576&highlight=group+buy

Never the less thats pretty good value (RB's) to get this wheel configuration at that price and supplied locally rather than piss farting around with o/s suppliers. Good work and getting these in Ben, i reckon they look pretty good with ZG's. Apic below of the RB's.

phpSSVcykPM.jpg

phpTzF69wPM.jpg

http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/phpOZoF6dPM.jpg

P7111701.jpg

I'm keen.  I'll need 17s once I fit the Wilwoods : 305mm rotors so these should do the trick. 

Put me down for a staggered set of 17x8.5 and 17x9.5  8)

Also, do you have a pic of the 'steel grey' finish e.g. is it like the wheels in Toecutter's post, or is it lighter?

Cheers.

Erm, what's the difference there?

The difference between RBs and RB-Rs is in the curve of the spokes.  The RBs have a flatter shape, the RB-Rs a pronounced banana shape:

RB-R on the left, RB on the right

Personally, I prefer the RB.

post-595-144023492499_thumb.jpg

The difference between RBs and RB-Rs is in the curve of the spokes.  The RBs have a flatter shape, the RB-Rs a pronounced banana shape:

RB-R on the left, RB on the right

Personally, I prefer the RB.

I can comment on this first hand as I imported RB and RB-R here in NZ. I purchase the RB in 15x8 +12 and RB-R in 16x8 +10. And you have it the other way around the RB is on the left and the RB-R is on the right. Here is the rims that I imported - now all sold. The silver are the 15x8 RB and the hyper-black are the 16x8 RB-R

post-104-144023492506_thumb.jpg

post-104-144023492517_thumb.jpg

post-104-144023492529_thumb.jpg

post-104-144023492541_thumb.jpg

I also have more pics of both installed on Zeds if that helps too - I sold the 15x8 to another local (here in NZ) zed owner and I have pics of these installed with tyres on his car. And I have a number of pics of the 16x8 RB-R on my old 240z.

Here are some first my old zed with the RB-R 16x8

album_picm.php?pic_id=1&sort_method=pic_time&sort_order=DESC

I can't find the pics of the 15x8 RB but I will keep looking on our zclub.org.nz as I recall seeing a post from the new owner of the rims I sold him - I will update this post when I find a link/pic.

Here is a post I put on our site when I was selling the RB 15x8 - here you will see a number of pics of these installed on my 240z (I can also confirm that +12 will not fit on a 260z you will need the +4 to clear the fronts as the spring perch is lower on the 260z) you will also see a shot of the Rota sticker on the rim that states these are RB not RB-R and you can see the banana shape to the RB rims.

see

http://www.zclub.org.nz/viewtopic.php?t=768

And I found the pic of these after they were sold to Andy so here is a pic of these installed on his 240z

img_5613_497.jpg

Confusion reigns again.

I have been watching the threads on Hybridz where I now find pics of both style wheels claimed be alternately RBs and then RB-Rs.

BenZed: can you clarify please, as I def want the flatter spoke shape, whichever they turn out to be.  If the RBs are the bananas I'd prefer the RB-Rs (That's rich coming from a Queenslander!)

Sorry if this causes any grief.

ok have done some reserch on these rims

The only ones that will fill the zg flairs are the 17 x 9.5 -19 but when fitted to the front they will  hit the front valance on turning  because they are so wide

Would you be getting any of the 17 x 9 -13 as these are the ones the hybrid z boys got made to fit under the front zg flairs??

also the other reson the rbrs are better is on the neg offset they dont have the spacer like ring on the inside mounting edge see pic (yellow circle)

Ash

post-87-14402349272_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for the interest, good to hear I'm not wasting my time.

I have asked the factory for clarification on the spoke style. Will post an answer when I get it.

For that are interested here is a thread on hybridz that shows some of the 17x8.5 +4 installed on a 280z (aka 260z with ugly bumpers) also looking the pictures looks to have stock standard suspension ie 4x4 look

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=136846

Dunno, but the guy says they are RB-Rs and to me they look like the banana spokes you said were the RBs. 

Maybe it is all in the offset, changing the spoke shape not the thickness of the mounting flange.

Even on this website I am darned if I can see much difference between RBs and RB-Rs. http://www.rotawheel.com/rb1.htm

I would like to see pics of the actual wheels on offer before making a final decision.

post-595-144023492743_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys, Don't know if you can take it as gospel but the only info I could find regarding the difference between the RB and the RBR series is that the RBR is for rear wheel drive fitment. They have a lower offset than the RB and a bigger lip. Apparently made for drifters. This came from an American webpage. Regards David.

Having owned both RB and RB-R not in the 17" but I believe what has been stated is correct the difference is the bit behind the spoke. This change in mounting face changes the shape of the spoke. The RBs have a thick mounting flange ie the wheels nuts are much much deeper into the mag where as the RB-R the wheel nuts down sink into the mag and stick out a little.

I could not install the centre caps on the RB-Rs on the fronts as the bearing cap would not allow it. I had the RB-R 16x8 +10 - I have posted pictures on this site before please search and you will see them. The 17" versions look to be different again and this does not surprise me remember each new rim size = new casting and the manufacture can change the spoke between each different rim size ie 16" the spoke is not a long as the 17" so maybe the longer spoke then start to curve again? I don't know I can only tell you that the 16x8 RB-R had a flat looking spoke and again go back to the first post I put in this thread to see the attachments.

Also if you check the attachments in my post you will see both have about the same amount of lip (and I can confirm they are the same) So with the flange thicker at the back the spoke must curve more to result in the same lip for the same width rim. Again this is clearly shown in the attachments I posted. So I believe the curve of the spoke is related to the width of the rim, style ie RB or RB-R and the lip. I believe the 17" version were requested with more LIP therefore more curve.

I think it is best to wait and see what Ben finds out from the manufacture - however give the pictures on the web ie at hybridz.org you can see the shape and style from what others have already purchased. So with that in mind I have a few different shots/angles of the RB-R in 16x8 +10 that I had installed on my 240z before I sold it. I am happy to put these up on my website if there is enough demand.

The RBs have a thick mounting flange ie the wheels nuts are much much deeper into the mag where as the RB-R the wheel nuts down sink into the mag and stick out a little.

............I can only tell you that the 16x8 RB-R had a flat looking spoke and again go back to the first post I put in this thread to see the attachments.

Also if you check the attachments in my post you will see both have about the same amount of lip (and I can confirm they are the same) So with the flange thicker at the back the spoke must curve more to result in the same lip for the same width rim. Again this is clearly shown in the attachments I posted. So I believe the curve of the spoke is related to the width of the rim, style ie RB or RB-R and the lip. I believe the 17" version were requested with more LIP therefore more curve.

Thanks, NZeder, but the pics are what has caused all this confusion. The first pic you posted is rather misleading. On closer examination I believe both wheels are RB-Rs, as they both have the thick mounting flange you say belongs to RB-Rs (although the one on the right appears thinner bacause it has about 10mm of it painted black)

The wheel on the right, which you say is the RB-R, clearly has a different offset, diameter and rim width to the other one. If I had to guess, I'd say one is a 16x8 and the other 17x9.5.  The different offsets would account for the fact that the flange on the narrow rim is further off the floor that the wider rim, so must have more positive offset. The difference in spoke shape must therefore come from the offsets and wheel diameter. More positive offset pushing the mounting flange out - more curve in the spoke. Lower offset number: flange further in - flatter, or more angled spoke. Plus, larger diameter: longer, flatter spoke.

I think it is best to wait and see what Ben finds out from the manufacture

Agreed. Let's wait.