Phillip Island Sprint Info wanted

zr240

Hi All

I have been hunting around the net and cannot find much info about the Phillip Island sprints. Im thinking I might give the race car a shake down at a sprint later this year.

Looks like there is a sprint in september but not sure If need Log book or if I can just run the car as is??

might be best for me to contact PIARC but just thought id see if anyone can advise on here?

Ash

Gents

I have the sup regs for P.I sprint 20/21 Sept

Saturday is a practice day with passenger sessions, Sunday is timed laps

Entry fee is Sat $145/Sun $150 befor 13th Sept or $160/$165 after

PM me with your email address if you would like a copy of the sup regs.

cheers

Alan

• Moderators

I know with the MSCA sprints they now use "Dorian"?? transponders so per run they can have upto 15 cars or more and run for 15 mins. So on some tracks you can do more than 3 laps. Before with the manual timing system, people had to be the timers and they werent really up to the task of keeping time for several cars at once. And laps were limited to 3 with a warmup lap. Big improvement, I remember at Calder we were doing 6 laps per run! Its great because by the time you get into the "groove" you still have several laps to go!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Guy's

First time at P.I, actually first time on a track with the Zed. Awesome track, had a blast.

Went down on Saturday afternoon, ran on Sunday. Pretty good turn out. Wasn't to concerned on lap times, just wanted to learn the limits of the car and the get used to the track. Had 4 sessions and i improved with each lap. It was 1 standing lap followed by 3 timed laps, there were between 12 - 18 cars on the track each session. There were 3 other Z's there, Silver 240z, white 240z and a red 350z. On Saturday there was a blue 240z, didn't see it on Sunday, there were plenty of quick cars.

John

Hi John, I was down there Saturday and saw you drive in late arvo. I would have said hello had I known you were on this site. Well done on your first sprint. It's and awesome track whilst a little scary. But fear should keep you on the black stuff with a little in reserve.

I was down their for the Sunday Sprint with the Roadster, John Geist (240Z) lost a front left wheel at Southern loop....the wheels nuts !!.....fortunately it was only the warmup lap and the only damage was a scruffed spoiler and soiled underware ;D. Dave Robertson was there also.

Weather was good but the howling Northerly made the back of the circuit thru Lukey heights hard work....but the run down pit straight was quick

Lap times were very slow being posted so will have to wait for the web site to be updated....did a 2:05 on my first lap out for the day but my LSD let go later so not hoping for anything fantastic.

Geisty was doing 1.58s in his 240 with his 15 year old son doing 2:15s in his first time out at P.I.

The 350Z sustained major damage when he came off at Southern loop and bounced off the tyre wall resulting in plenty of front right cnr and drivers side damage....P.I can be very unforgiving ::).

In all a great day out and now reinspired to get the Zed on the track again.

No Lurch it wasn't Dave Chambers. Aparently this Asian guy was a bit of a crazy driver. He tried following Dave's (Silver 240/260Z) for a lap or so. Apparently he was right up Daves butt. He thought he was going to hit him on a couple of occassions. Obviously following Daves line to try and get a good time. I think after that when he was on his own, probably trying to do the same but not as familiar with the track pushed it a little too hard in the wrong spot.

well he obviously learnt the hard way.........I reckon at least $15- $20K damage to his Zed.....all for being over exuberant.

What most guys don't understand is that kitty litter does not pull up a a modern car with ABS, (as well as it should if you run head on into it)  the gravel does not build up in front as the wheels are still turning .........I have experienced this first hand and very scary when you are standing on the picks and the car is still skipping over "beach" heading towards a tyre wall.

This may well have contributed to the amount of damage done to the 350 

What most guys don't understand is that kitty litter does not pull up a a modern car with ABS, (as well as it should if you run head on into it)  the gravel does not build up in front as the wheels are still turning .........I have experienced this first hand and very scary when you are standing on the picks and the car is still skipping over "beach" heading towards a tyre wall.

A lot of 4wd guys who actually use their 4wds in serious offroad work pull the ABS fuse for that exact reason - so that they can actually lock the wheels on the dirt and build up the all important 'gravel wedge' in front of the wheel.