Throttle jammed wide open

Cdr Zero

Hi guys, this morning my z tried to kill me.    ;D

I was driving away from a traffic light and gave it a bootful to get into the exit slip lane to work.  When I took my foot off the accelerator it wouldn't come back up.  This scared the crap out of me and I thumped it a few times, and took the car out of gear so I wouldn't crash full tilt into the cars and wall in front of me.  The tacho registered over 7 grand for a few seconds and it sounded like the end of the world.  I thought "Oh boy, if I don't die in a fire I'm going to be up for a new engine."  The accelerator came up just as I was thinking this and I drove - carefully - into work.

The car is in canberra and it had been outside overnight in the frost.  I didn't like it just the same as you but I had no choice, I live with my parents and my dad needed the garage to do work for his business.  (Rarely happens).

The engine seems to be okay, I left it running for a few minutes when I got to work with the bonnet up to try and cool it down a bit, turned it off and left the bonnet up for about 5 minutes.  Still sounded okay but I was wondering, how does this happen and how do I fix it?  I won't be going full throttle until I'm sure this won't happen again.  :P

Cheers

Ouch'o

I actually had this happen in one of my Datsun's years ago. It was the Accelerator linkage catching on a screw.

If i were you i would try to recreate the incident with the engine switched off of course... get a freind to press the accelerator while you inspect it from the outside and also check under the dash for possible snags.

Other than that it could be some gunk built up around the throttle shafts, disassembling and cleaning them might be a wise move too.

Then again as we know metal shrinks when it's cold so it might just be as simple as warmin her up some more.

Hope this helps.

Yeah check all the linkages with engine off and then flatten the accelerator to see what it is catching on, possibly a spacer on the wrong side of a linkage shaft, the carpet on the floor not letting your accelerator return, or the linkage catching on the choke cables?

Next time you are in motion like that and the throttle jams on full, turn the ignition off and hit the brakes and get into the breakdown/service lane

Just my 2 cents worth, better than blowing up your motor at 7 grand

Lynton

Does the pedal actually return, or does it stay on the floor?  There is a lot of crap up in there that it can catch on.  Im happy to come and lend a hand if you need, im always keen to meet new people and zeds.  I have every day off this week too.

Which end of town are you on?

It returns fine, but I've noticed it was a bit "sticky" when I put my foot right down.  I haven't really taken much notice of it since I don't do it very often - it's not the sort of car you thrash to death.

I'm up north in Nicholls, Gungahlin.  I'll see if I can clear out the gremlins tonight, if there's no joy I know I can call on you sco_aus.  :)

lol my z tyred to kill me today too. early this avo i re kitted my carby due to many problems any way long story short it backfired spraying fuel every where and all over me my gf was in the car, then my girlfriend continued to turn the key and it backfired again setting my carby, engine and my jumper on fire i was smart enough to close the choke which stopped the source of the fire and then extinguished the rest of the fire lucky nothing was damaged. dam our zeds and there need too try and kill us lol.

cheers pauly

Ok managed to recreate the problem, the accelerator pedal was catching on a little bump in my carpet. Such a small thing can cause such drama.  :-[

Thankyou for your help everyone.  Looking forward to catching up with you on the meet in August sco_aus.  :)

• Moderators

With these sort of thing happening occasionally, makes you think of installing a rev limiter in case of anything happening in future! One of those babies can prevent major engine damage! Lucky nothing was damaged, just a small case of valve bounce!