Engine Allignment in Chassis

PeterAllen

Could someone advise me whether the crankshaft alligns with the centre line of the chassis in a standard 240Z. The V8 mounting kit I have places the engine around 25mm to the driver's side. I am just wondering whether this is standard automotive practice so that the whole drivetrain remains in a single line and compensates for the pinion offset at the diff.

I had thought that the engine and gearbox would be mounted in the centre of the chassis and that the propshaft would be angled to the offset of the pinion at the diff, that is, have around 25mm difference in allignment from where it leaves the gearbox to where it joins the diff.

Any information would be appreciated.

Can you please fill in your Location. It makes it much easier for us to awnser your question.

'ZZZ8' & a couple of others may be able to help you.

BTW, have you ever been to Rio?

BTW, have you ever been to Rio?

Only when my baby smiles at me!

I just want to know the position related to a standard six cylinder 240Z. Can somebody just drop a line from the harmonic balancer and see whether it intersects the engine crossmember in the center or whether it is offset to the driver's side.

Thanks.

• Moderators

What I was told to do is to hang a plumb bob from the center of the crank, another one from the center of the  prop shaft where it exits the transmission, and another one from the tail shaft at the diff end. You can have angle differences in the vertical, but not too big in the diagonal. Hope its clear! Mine is approx 3-4mm out in the center. All three points of the plumb bobs should be in a line.

• 2 weeks later...

well having researched the more common v8 install i have found most off set engine 25mm to one side mainly to make steering clearance easier

the most common mounting kit for 350 chevs jags that run offsets engine 25 mm

the kit i bought for my ls1 does the same

both kits have been built by engineers so i dont see any reason to worry about this

though with my ls1 it would have been way easier to get exhaust in if the offset went to left instead of right but would have to rebuild the whole kit to change it so i left it the way it is

with the jags that run can see no reason why you couldnt swap the widee spacers to left instead right

mick