How many people are from QLD

Aaron Neubauer

Southside of Brisbane. Driving a 1976 2+2 260z, maroon in colour.

Where do you Brisbanites go to get your zeds fixed up? There's a problem with my carbs and I need some replacement work. I'd like to take the zed to a good mechanic who knows what they're doing. Ta.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, welcome.

74zzz I'd definetly be keen for a run next weekend if my exams didn't start next week  :-[ Next time we organise a run I'll make sure all of you have PMs.

Jospef my mechanic swears by this guy called Scott who works at "Carb and Gas" at wooloongabba. 3891 5886 is his number. I haven't been to him yet but once I get some SUs I plan to book him in to do the swap for me.

Cathartik that is pretty damn cool, I would have sworn you got it resprayed from those black photos.

Glad to see more people from QLD getting active on the forums.  :)

Steve

He quoted me 800-1k to fully recondition the carby's. I'm not sure if that's a good price?

I might just open them up myself and see what I can do. Stevo, do you by any chance know where I can pick up seats, pins, butterfly's etc? I've never bought any carburetor parts.

Thanks.

Yeah, I thought it was a bit steep. Well, the car basically stutters when I get up in the revs. Wouldn't be the plugs, because that's all new, so I assume it's the carby's. Obviously not 100% sure, but I'll be opening them up and having a look in there. Just wanted to get a price check on everything, figure out what's cheaper and easier.

hang on, did I read that right, $800-1000 to reco SU's ?? no way.

You should be able to buy a new SU-H6 for $375-400..

Jospef, whats actually wrong with the carbs, be specific and we can try to help you.

Can anyone comment further on that price? It's twice what I was expecting...

Jospef, can't comment on the reco cost for the carbs, they're way down the list after I get all the rust sorted.  I'll probably just clean them up, bolt them back on and see how it goes.

From my MGB days, I know that SU's typically wear away the bushes for the butterfly shafts leading to air leaks.

But before splurging a $1000 on the carbs I'd be replacing ALL my ignition components, dizzy cap, rotor, coil, condensor, ballast resistor, leads, polishing all the earth contact points and cleaning all connectors.  Have you changed the fuel filter yet because that can be a major culprit,so can the fuel pump if you are running an electric one.

I've pulled twin SU's apart for a Mini I had. Cleaned them up with carb cleaner, the needle valves were fiddly but the hardest part is tuning them again afterward.

Good luck, Mike

2 major things here, make sure your dizzy is set correctly ..7-8 degrees advance (If I recall)...and change the oil in the Su's..if the cars been sitting round the oil can can go gluggy, meaning the needle wont work properly, and the carbs can stutter and go eratic. items as per above posting are also spot-on. If for whatever reason you need new carbs, try Warren at All-z parts in Hornsby, he should be under the $400 mark per SU.

• 7 months later...

I'm at Auchenflower.  Seen a few Zeds around, mostly west Bris cos that's where I'm working.

I am in the far western suburb of Brisbane near Ipswich.

I'm fairly sure I've seen you around.  I gave you a thumbs up one morning. ;D  You often drive inbound in the early morning weekdays?

• 4 weeks later...

wilston- red 260z 2 seater -keen to go for a run next weekend if anyone is for it?

I'm in Windsor (Brisbane) Green 73' 240z (in shop at moment). Can you make it next weeks meet at indo shopping centre car park if goes ahead?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys - I'm in Redcliffe on Brisbane's north side, I have a brown 2+2 (for sale on here) and a red 2+2 thats my keeper!

Craig

Ah the brown one on Ebay. Hope you get what you are after from it.....unless I am the leading bidder :P